Helmet: Custom Interior Finishes?

Ive done some searching, and aside from killing time at work looking through old treads. :P I really cant find what I am looking for, so now I will turn it over to the experts for your advise...

I seen a few lid's insides "finished" with textured Rust-Oleum and or "plasti dip". Is one suggested over the other or is there other ways to go about this?

When dealing with the plasti dip, is it better to get a can of "brush on" or "spray on", or both for that matter?

How many coats of primer do you normally lay down before staring the "top coat"?

My main goal in to increase the lids durability and maybe give it a little more mass and weight to it. Ive noticed when wearing my efx compared to my RT-mod, aside from looking like crap on the inside the efx has got the some nice weight to it. And heaven forbid it takes a fall, I think it would survive pretty well. Also Ive decided im not a big fan of seeing my decals from inside the RT lid with a bright enough light source on the outside. And since I have to clean up the inside of the efx (new pads & lenses), I figure I might as well do both so they are uniform.

I know some people prefer a lighter weight helmet, but if im going to be wearing the thing all day. I at least expect it to feel like a helmet, and when I get cracked in the head with a random light saber from behind, the extra piece of mind (and padding) wouldn't be bad either. :D

I prefer a few layers of plasti dip. Primer is not needed, and the layers really add to the feel of the helmet. In addition, it sprays on black, so you have a darkened helmet which in my opinion is nice for little kids who can see up your neck, and into your lenses. Another thing that can make your dome feel more solid is some good padding.

4995033206_080e449d91_z.jpg

That is my new AP helmet, and it feels like a rock, I love it.

I used the brush-on variety of Plasti-Kote a couple of years ago for the inside of my MR CE. It went on nicely with no brush strokes. I haven't been able to find the same stuff at my local Wally-mart for quite some time.

It's just fun to trick out the inside of a bucket.

IMG_3667-2-1.jpg

Edited by TK-9820

I used rubberized undercoating used on automobiles. My helmet has great weight and feel to it when putting it on and wearing it.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 month later...