Heat Gun massacre

zsavk

Well I slipped up a bit and now Ive got about a 2 inch diameter cave in on the cap of my helmet. :( Its not deep and only noticeable if you are really looking. But it is right on the forehead and Its really upsetting for me. Is there any tricks you guys might have that I could try to reverse the damage?

If it is on the dome section of the forehead, you could try finding a bowl or rounded object laying around and apply heat again while pressing out from the inside of the helmet with the object. I had to do some similar remolding on my legs when I was getting my return edges finished. If it is ABS, you can always sand with a really fine grit and novus/polish it back to a shine, depending on how deep the dent is.

Thanks for the tip Sean. After much searching I found the perfect round object to use! Thought you might get a laugh out of this: nggni53.jpg

I just happened to have an ostrich egg laying around.

Ā 

It worked great, I was nervous to hold the heat on too long this time and Its not perfect yet. But its much better and only noticable from certain angles. This angle you cant see it at all: kgUXAaw.jpg

Ā 

But this angle it shows up. Not too bad. I might give it another blast if I feel brave. K7j7eYt.jpg

Ā 

But the stunt lenses are in now. <_<

Ostrich egg :D Who woulda thunk :rolleyes: I can see this as a new "HOW TO" :blink:

Ā 

They are pretty tough...I saw on TOP CHEF where one of the contestants had to make a dish using one of these. It took a handsaw to open that Flintstone egg.... :lol: