Advice on armor for my body type request

Hi everyone.

I've wanted to do the 501st thing for years now. My wife and I just got home from Orlando and Celebration V and had a blast, so now she's on board.

I am 5' 8 1/2" tall barefoot and 160 lbs.

The look I like in TK armor isn't the 'screen accurate every bump and imperfection' look. I like the polished looks like he just stepped off a Lambda class shuttle and Vader will be along in a moment. Kind of a 'if it were real' look.

I like the ruggedness of ABS as well as the shiny no need to paint-ness

I have plenty of experience working with plastics and costuming so I don't see assembly as a problem.

All the research I've done has given me a gut-feeling that AP is the route for me but I'd like the opinion of some more experienced Troopers.

Thanks in advance and feel free to ask questions that will help tailor advice to my situation.

-TK-Wannabe

I'd say AP as well, but understand you may want to upgrade a few things that come with the kit if you intend to go for EIB badge (mic tips, eye lens, etc.). There's also a bit more trimming / fitting / heat molding with AP in the thighs / shins if you want a perfect look. It's a good kit, just good to know what to expect and to plan the work ahead. There's lots of great AP builds on here.

Good luck!

I forgot to mention that I purchased a efx ESB TK helmet ar Celebration V after asking a few 501st guys if it was approvable. It just occurred to me to ask how the FISD feels about it.

Also, I think this page is fairly old but I wonder if the financial details on it are still valid.

----------

(apologies if the link is in violation of a board rule)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Based on your needs & desires, AP is a good choice. TM would also be a good choice. You definitely have what we call a "screen-accurate" physique.

The efx ESB TK is basically an MRCE with a black-painted frown. It's 501st acceptable, EIB-acceptable with mods, but there are better options - especially if you go with one of the above-mentioned kits. Better to keep it as a display model.

Nevermind. I've made contact with AP.

What would you suggest for a person who is 5' 2" and has size 4 feet? it is for an adult :P heavily mod-ed AP work? or is there a set geared to people who are "a little short for a stormtrooper" ?

Thanks for all the great advice.

Going to jump into this thread as there's some good info here and my question is more or less the same. Plus I'd rather not add to the list of threads when there's one present.

What I'm looking for is roughly the same as what was mentioned at the beginning - not overly concerned with it being THE MOST accurate available. I've read through the 'different types of armor' and it mentions body builds such as (5'10" / 165lbs) and (5'6" / 115lbs) but my body type is more of a combination of the two.

5'11" and 120 lbs

Tall and skinny. Metabolism is still in high gear, trying to gain weight by that's a whole different topic.

I'll keep my TK nice and clean so shiny would be nice but I also move around a lot so one that can take some abuse won't hurt. The AP kit looks good but I'm not certain if it will work for my build. I checked that link referenced above and in one of the images it has what looks like stickers for the helmet (tube stripes, gray patch for dome, etc.) which surprised me a bit. The end goal of course is a kit that is 501st acceptable. Unfortunately I'm not exactly experienced when it comes to modding and such, willing to learn but still new overall.

I've already made the rookie mistake of getting armor from ebay before I found this detachment, so I want to do it right this time. I'm repenting for it, please forgive me. :(

Edit for grammar and info.

Edited by Valegon

I'd say you can fit pretty much any kit, although I'd stay away from the larger kits (AM & RT Mod) - you'd be floating inside of them. :P

I expect you'll also have to put padding in the arms and legs to ensure those pieces stay in place.

I expect you'll also have to put padding in the arms and legs to ensure those pieces stay in place.

Padding, hadn't thought of that, will need to look into it. Hopefully the armor will still look somewhat natural, don't want it to be sticking out on the arms/legs too much that it would draw too much attention to itself.