Helmet Chin Straps and Snaps

'Sup Troopers!?

In my ongoing effort for screen accuracy... I 'm trying to locate some good clear shots of the chin straps, on a screen used ANH helmet. I'm just wondering how the (and where) the snaps go on the straps, how long the straps should be, etc. Hey, everyone needs a hobby... right!? :)

Jess

The elastic is either 3/4 or 1 inch wide attached to the ear screws. Their are 1 snaps on one side and 2 on the other for adjustment. Use 15mm snaps knickle coloured.

How long? Long enough to overlap and do up under your chin. The elastic is doubled over at the ear and for the snaps.

WXAhT22.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

I have put mine in with only one snap at the bottom, with elastic, you don't even need to take it apart at the bottom.

it just stretches into shape. I guess if I added the extra adjustment snap then I'd be closer to SA.

The elastic is either 3/4 or 1 inch wide attached to the ear screws. Their are 1 snaps on one side and 2 on the other for adjustment. Use 15mm snaps knickle coloured.

How long? Long enough to overlap and do up under your chin. The elastic is doubled over at the ear and for the snaps.

You ROCK Mark! :D

Jess

Edited by TK 4702

Good photo, Mark. Thanks!

As a quick aside on chin straps ...

It amazes me over and over to discover that the main motivation for most armour builders/wearers for installing a chin strap is "screen accuracy".

I like 'em BECAUSE THEY ARE SIMPLE AND THEY WORK!

I farted about for ages with knee pads, helmet liners and such like before finally just bunging a bit of foam in the helmet and making up a chin strap.

It's quick, easy, adjustable, comfortable and stays put. In my opinion, the costume department got it right on this one!

My main motivate for everything armour related is screen accuracy :)

But as someone pointed out to me recently - how can something be screen accurate when it's not seen on screen? Like the interior of a helmet for instance?

But as someone pointed out to me recently - how can something be screen accurate when it's not seen on screen? Like the interior of a helmet for instance?

That's kind of why I don't mind finding a happy compromise between screen accuracy and comfort for those parts of my armour which are never going to be visible.

Obviously, if you're going to for an all-out replica, even the inside has to be as accurate as possible. No compromise.

But, because I wear my armour for several hours at a time, I try my best to make the visible parts of my armour as close as the screen-used suits as I can but I don't mind including hidden stuff on the inside which is fucntional and comfortable but not necessarily accurate.

I don't think my strapping system is much like the original costumes but it keeps everything pretty much in place and noone sees it so it's OK by me ...

... until the next build!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree...

I've thought that myself before actually. In particular, one debate over the shape of the foam padding inside the ANH helmets. I stated that I preferred a cross shape to the 4 pointed star thing... their argument was that the star was "screen accurate." And that term didn't sound right to me, given that you never saw the inside, etc. But I guess I dismissed it as a common terminology used among troopers, armor builders, Star Wars costume collector's, etc.

So let's rephrase it... to a more "authentic looking" helmet interior. :)