creating a Stencil to paint "Tube stripes" on a helmet.

This is a work in progress. I still have to pick up the French Blue paint. For the tube stripes on my helmet I am going to paint them on. The more and more I thought about it and looked at my decals I thought this is going to be harder that I thought. I was thinking maybe I should make a stencil and go from there.

For the stencil I went to the craft section in Wal-Mart and bought blank Stencils. You get 3 sheets for a couple of bucks. The other accessories I used are, my “Fisher Space pen”, tape, cutting pad, scissors and xacto knife.

I first taped the tube stripes from the AP kit to the back of the Stencil so it stays put. Then I used my “Fisher Space pen” to trace the outline of the stripes on the stencil. The “Fisher Space pen” writes on any surface. It is a well worth investment. The process is tedious. Take your time. After the stripes are traced, remove the decals from the Stencil paper. Take the Xacto blade and carefully and slowly cut out the “Tube stripes” following the pen marks and indentions that were made when tracing. When finished, use the scissors to cut the stencil from the paper and remove any remaining pieces. When cutting use judgment and leave space on all sides so there is room for the tape to hold the stencil on the helmet.

I showed the results by putting the “decals” under the stencil. When ready, place and line up the Stencil on the tube of the helmet, then tape it so it stays put and then paint.

I hope this helps out those who want to paint the “Tube stripes” instead of using the decals.

Andy

4CCarif.jpg

TvkZrr8.jpg

eHP4afE.jpg

WqIyM0i.jpg

qawcogo.jpg

F1FYfNA.jpg

5T57FAm.jpg

rfcbGhw.jpg

ClDUwQU.jpg

uFwGJyk.jpg

yHwkmtG.jpg

15hZur5.jpg

ugehtX8.jpg

gbmCCi5.jpg

n5MzCLw.jpg

17efBdd.jpg

yHwkmtG.jpg

yuKeHgF.jpg

Be interested to see how this goes. I'm seriously considering peeling off my decals and painting them on my TM hero and TE2.

I've considered either laying the borders with painters tape and hand painting the stripes or using airbrush frisket paper and brushing them on. Not sure which route I'll ultimately go when i work up the courage. Good luck!

Edited by Madmartigan

it would be sweet if it were adhesive to prevent bleeding. but not to sticky as to remove the paint underneath (assuming it is a painted helmet like ATA) :D

it took a while to do it by cutting 1/8" automotive masking tape strips then trying to line them all up

pW7Rip5.jpg

but it worked well with an airbrush

8lF49Qn.jpg

OK I will post an interest list. Sorry to crash your thread dude. I just wanna help. I also want to point out that I think the Gino helmets used stencils too.

No problem. This will be a "BIG HELP" to our community! Do you think that you could create a stencil for the "Traps" "Tears"?

Andy

Alternatively, you could make your own using clear contact paper. It's a lightly adhesive thin plastic-like material with paper backing, and costs approximately $5.00-$10.00 for a gigantic roll at WalMart or any similar store in the kitchen section (it's used for lining cupboards/shelves). It's easy to cut, easy to peel off and does not leave any kind of residue. I use it all the time for my stenciling projects and it works fantastically.

Edited by Pistachio