What is wrong with the Disney armor?

I know I must be crazy to ask for this here but I do need to know. I have been working for Disney making Star Wars armour since 2004. We make their Stormtroopers, Clone troopers, Darth Vader, Zam Wessel, Captain Rex, Commander Cody, Boba Fett and the Amidala headdress. I have often heard complaints about the lack of accuracy in our suits in this forum. Often these cannot be avoided due to the restrictions placed upon us by Disney. But I think there are others mistakes which I would like to address and correct. Please let me know what changes would have to be made to have our Disney suits be 501st approved. I have attached photos. Please be kind but thorough.

What would be helpful is explain "due to the restrictions placed upon us by Disney."? What are they. This is helpful so that people can know what they can work with.

Andy

He mentioned that he would like to see this armor meet 501st approval. It's interesting to note that the 501st has approved worse sets of armor than these.

Ouch!

But sadly all to true.

• 3 weeks later...

What would be helpful is explain "due to the restrictions placed upon us by Disney."? What are they. This is helpful so that people can know what they can work with.

Andy

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have been busy and haven't checked in. The restrictions of which I spoke are many and varied starting with the fact that all our products have to meet the approval of WDW safety. Also the suits must be extremely durable holding up to some serious choreography. Unfortunately budgets are also often a constraint. We also started with one of their suits when we first made our molds. We had a very tiny budget to make all the molds and 20 finished Stormtroopers so we took a bunch of short cuts to get the work done as quickly as possible. We also have been requested to sometimes use research from different movies to make the suit. All this added up to the inconsistent suit we have. I would like to upgrade components to make it all ESB screen accurate but that would entail changing dozens of suits which would all have to be shipped across country at great expense. Not something that WDW is likely to want to pay for even when the change is easy. They could have us upgrade as we went along but that would mean some of the suits would not match which would bother them more than the screen inaccuracies. I have appreciated all the responses and have passed this info on to my contacts at WDW. They will likely discuss these suggestions for next year's SWW and pass there decisions on to me.

Thanks to all.

Brian...

I'm not making any promises... nor am I an "official" spokesperson for any individual or group of individuals... but, have you considered asking for suits and helmets to be donated by 501st members?

If the safety specifications were made clear to us, I think there are plenty of troopers who would gladly assemble suits that would meet those specs and donate them to WDW. ESPECIALLY if they were given some sort of "trinket" for their efforts... or even if the suits had something on the shoulder bell — or some less noticeable area — that paid homage to the donating trooper. Something, for example, like "TK-8541 Clone" B)

Just a thought.