to split or not to split

dashrazor

if i follow the rtoj style for the armor minus the arms/legs should i join the back/butt piece? or keep them split? in the screen caps the cod and but pieces appear to be split along the belt line, but if i follow the crl for ROTJ "should haves" i should join them... i was planning on joining them, as i think it will look better with the white trim molding....

just want to be sure before i continue ;)

I have never been made aware of a case where the cod & ab plate are separate in any of the 3 canon films, video game, or action figure.

For the back, they were separate in AHH/ESB clearly, and from the screen shots and anecdotes I've heard they were a single back plate in ROTJ. If you look at the screen shots from the video games it depends: for Stormtrooper Commander is all the shots seem to show a single back plate, and this is also the case so far with the Incinerator Trooper. This is why for both the preferred base is ROTJ and not ANH, though both customs clearly show an ANH helmet and hand plates.

If you can find screen caps that show a split I'd love to see it. All the ones that have been posted to FISD show an ROTJ style back, just as they contain the ROTJ style ab plate, belt, etc.

Fascinating. It's hard to say, also in that for ANH/ESB the split is below the butt.

The LMO (Legion Membership Officer) has indicated that he sides with the artist's renders rather than screen caps, as that is the intent of the design rather than it's implementation.

I'll see if I can't get ahold of the render - I have one for the Commander and at least from what I see it's clearly modeled on ROTJ and thus no splits.

Fascinating. It's hard to say, also in that for ANH/ESB the split is below the butt.

The LMO (Legion Membership Officer) has indicated that he sides with the artist's renders rather than screen caps, as that is the intent of the design rather than it's implementation.

I'll see if I can't get ahold of the render - I have one for the Commander and at least from what I see it's clearly modeled on ROTJ and thus no splits.

i agree, and it was my intention to go 100% RTOJ style, but i only have my ps3 and wii versions of the game for reference, so when i noticed the armor was splitting when in action i was afraid if i joined the back/but plates it would be incorrect.

on another note, i noticed the ROTJ style edge trim/molding is visible around the upper armor sections (back and chest plates) but it doesn't appear on the cod or but/kidney sections.

just thought that was strange ;)

its like an ESB/ANH+ROTJ hybrid armor :D

a artist render would be awsome!!!

Edited by dashrazor

i thought ROTJ was a one piece back and butt. Hope this helps

ref image.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I can say with 100% assurance (from experience) splitting the ab will get you NOTHING!!!!

I was told that was the way to go when I got my first kit, so I did it. Never once was it helpful at all, and I never used it. Also, it would make no sense, and being somewhat of an accuracy nut, I have yet to see anything that would indicate that split is there or necessary.

Hope that helps!!

measure twice and cut once :D that's why i ask the experts when i am unsure about something..thanks for the input

Edited by dashrazor

i agree, and it was my intention to go 100% RTOJ style, but i only have my ps3 and wii versions of the game for reference, so when i noticed the armor was splitting when in action i was afraid if i joined the back/but plates it would be incorrect.

on another note, i noticed the ROTJ style edge trim/molding is visible around the upper armor sections (back and chest plates) but it doesn't appear on the cod or but/kidney sections.

just thought that was strange ;)

its like an ESB/ANH+ROTJ hybrid armor :D

a artist render would be awsome!!!

It is hybrid. It's really a toss to specify ROTJ as a base and call out the ANH stuff, or else use ANH as a base and call out the ROTJ stuff. When I looked at it, it seemed easier to call out ROTJ as the base and make ANH changes from there.

The door trim is a good point - would be interesting to see what people think.

I guess each to his own. I've worn front and back not split and I've worn front and back both split. Give me front and back both split anyday. I, for one, can tell a big difference.

that's what i was thinking would be most practical and functional myself, as i would imagine it would allow for more freedom of movement. i think the game animators took this into account when creating the computer models, if the parts were one piece (in the game) the troopers movements would look more stiff and robotic than human, thus taking away from the realism and fluid human mobility. i am hoping to achieve EIB status (im a bit of a perfectionist :D ), but i have always had (and will always have) a tendency to put functional/practical before "screen" accuracy. i think Daetrin hit it spot on by saying it is the intent of the design rather than it's implementation. take for instance the E11-blaster, it was not intended to be a 9mm sub machine gun made by sterling arms. it was intended to be a imperial laser blaster made by Blastech.... so then a deactivated sterling with original markings would be less accurate than a blaster with the blastech logo or no markings at all? well IMHO yes! but then again in the case of the E11 functionality won out over artistic rendition or intention. it was far more practical to take a "real" functional weapon and cosmetically modify it on the outside while retaining its blank firing ability for realism and special effects, rather than scratch building a completely fantasy laser blaster from an artists imagination ... in a perfect world the artists ideas would overtake the practical application of a studio prop. in science the word accuracy has great meaning, but in any form of art the word accuracy is relative.....

sorry to ramble on so much but i got some alcohol for my birthday lol :pint1: it tends to make me over-think things.....

Edited by dashrazor

i got this screen cap from the force unleashed 2 cinematic trailer

screen.jpg.680d8147e57baa7a20785b61f739ba5a.jpg

it clearly shows the door trim on the but piece of a regular trooper <_< it was the best screen cap i could get but it is clearly there

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated