A Word of Warning, re: an eBay armour sale

ELP

Hi all,

I just joined, have got 2 suits on order (one for me and one for my wife), and I’ve spoke with a few people regarding voice kits, Blasters and a bunch of other stuff.

I’ve got to say that everyone on here has been amazingly helpful so I’d like to share a word of warning.

I bid (and won) a suit of Trooper armour last month on eBay. The seller wasn’t sure what type of Armour it was as he bought it off a costume rental shop 3 years ago. To my untrained eye it looked like an old FX suit, or at least a suit with an over sized bucket.

The pictures were pretty small – one of him in costume behind a counter at work, one in front of a beer cooler at work, and finally one of him (from the waste up)getting his “grove on” in a dark club. (Regrettably the auction page is no longer accessible so I can’t get copies)

The seller lives in Wisconsin and his eBay alias had 2 feed back when the auction finished.

Anyway a long story somewhat shortened – he accepted my payment, stopped responding to e-mails and after almost 2 weeks hadn’t sent the item. I was forced to file a claim with Paypal. I got my money back but the seller said he is going to re-sell the armour on eBay. Once I had the refund from Paypal he mysteriously contacted me to say it was basically all a mistake / paypal’s fault / he was on vacation and there was no need to file a report with IC3 (Internet Crimes Complaint Center – partnered with the FBI).

So a word of warning – If you encounter a full suit (including blaster, holster, voice mods, footwear and under suit) from a seller in Wisconsin with similar pictures to the ones I’ve described: Be Very Careful.

I’m not saying he set out to scam me but he’s not an experienced eBayer so you might have problems. And please, if you do bid, make sure you plan to pay directly from a credit card as if there is a problem and paypal says they can’t help you can just do a charge back on your card and you’re covered. Paypal may close your account but at least you’ll get your money back.

I’m not going to say the name of the person, nor give out his eBay ID (even though he’s no longer registered), nor divulge any of his personal information as this could simply have been an error on his part combined with his taking a weeks holiday while I was frantically trying to find out if I was going to get my item sent or my money returned.

Either way there was a dire lack of communication, and shipping dates came and went with no action on his part so I reacted as if I had been scammed.

If you have any questions or think you might have found the auction (I’d expect a re-list this month - June) feel free to pm me or post here and I’ll check in from time to time.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Good thing you got your money back. The same thing happened to me awhile ago.

We all need to be a little more cautious when looking on ebay for armor. I'll admit, I bought my first Stormtrooper kit off of ebay but it wasn't until I followed that particular seller for a couple months and read the feedback from others who bought armor kits from them.

I know ebay can have deals that look too good to pass up, but be careful. If in doubt, be sure to let us know about something you have questions on.

Yea the experience wasn't a lot of fun, but it was experience, and I learned from it so that counts for something.

As it turns out the ebay deal falling through was for the best - I got my money back, I was then soured on eBay 'deals', so I spent the time to read and research here. As a direct result I've got orders in with 2 members for my wife and I and the communication, feed back and offers of "any questions please ask" have been outstanding.

As I was told: "You get what you pay for" is good; but when dealing with eBay remember "You might not even get that".

With all the reliable and time tested armor options available right here at home on the FISD one would wonder why anyone that has logged into the FISD even once would take a risk on Ebay.