Glue Question: No ABS Glue/Cement

I've been searching for almost 2 weeks and I just can't find an ABS Glue or Cement.

The only plastic glues I've found are a -----, a ----- and MEK (methyl ethyl ketone).

Are any of these usable on ABS for the Snap Plates at the least?

Thanks!

From the product description for Tamiya "extra thin cement" ...

This is a 40ml Bottle of Tamiya's Extra Thin Cement. / / FEATURES: This cement is extremely useful when gluing plastic parts to a / desired position while holding them in place together. / The thin cement flows smoothly between the gaps of the fitted parts / by capillary action. / The plastic screw-on lid has an applicator brush attached. / The pointed applicator tip makes it easy to put the cement where / desired. / Clear liquid. / Glass bottle. / / INCLUDES: One Bottle of Extra Thin Cement / / SPECS: Volume: 40ml / kr11/2/01 / ir/kh

... it is clear that it is a form of plastic weld, i.e. in layman's terms it melts the plastic together and does not create an additional layer of a second adhesive material between the two pieces of plastic. I can't guarantee that it is suitable for armour but it certainly functions in the same manner as the product I have (which say "weld" on the bottle).

MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) and the other product seem to work in the same way.

Maybe you could buy a bottle and try it on a few pieces of scrap and see how it works out. Otherwise, contact the supplier direct and explain what you're planning and ask for advice on the most suitable product.

Hey Martin, if you can't or don't want to use the Internet (eBay) to purchase glue that we can vouch for I would suggest asking fellow TKs in the PI. They will probably know of where and what are alternatives for you locally. Good luck pare.

-----

or

www.pinoy501st.com

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

On 4/22/2010 at 2:58 PM, Midnyt17 said:

I've been searching for almost 2 weeks and I just can't find an ABS Glue or Cement.

The only plastic glues I've found are a ----- a ----- and MEK (methyl ethyl ketone).

Are any of these usable on ABS for the Snap Plates at the least?

Thanks!

I used a combination of adhesives for my snap plates. E6000 under the plates, and Plastic Weld around the edges. You see it in

-----Photos.

Edited by gmrhodes13

I would love to use E6000 or Plastic Weld but I live in the Philippines and both aren't available here and getting it shipped from abroad is too impractical.

It would be very impractical if your suit fell apart if you use the wrong glue! E6000 or plastic weld is the way to go no questions asked Tamiya glues are for models and would not be suitable for the job in hand though they are solvent based you armour would end up in bits around your feet on your first troop.All that hard work and effort gone to waste!

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try and get Industrial Velcro, E6000, and ABS Glue from the US through Amazon. Our GML has offered to bring it back with him next time he's there. I'm also trying to source the heavy-duty/industrial Velcro locally through a relative's acquaintance 'cos it might come out cheaper.

Another question, is PVC cement usable on ABS?

What people use, what works:

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13