My TK Armor Build

I really like the way you have your armor hung up like a suit, I may have to do that myself. If nothing else, it certainly seems like it makes working on it easier. Looking at is as a whole like that allows you to see the "big picture" and how it all comes together, as opposed to focusing on the individual parts. :duim:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I hit it with a lot more paint ... as in too much. have some drips. *sighs* :angry: I'll figure it out. Yet another hill to climb! Well, at least the screen used helmets had paint drips right? So I have that goin' for me? :) Yeah, I guess I'll just use that excuse. ;)

web.jpg?ver=12737220930001

Edited by jawa001

I'm not sure I like the sight of your helmets impaled on stakes! It looks like Genghis Khan just rode through the Death Star and hacked us all down! :unsure:

;)

Keeps it out of reach, mainly from dogs, cats and children. I'm just glad a bird didn't sit on it while it was outside! :D That would be my luck!

And no doubt it would turn out to be that carrier pigeon with my first set of clips! :lol:

Edited by Rick330

Great thread and armour journey J001,Its a breath of fresh air to see a build thread with all its ups and downs,highs and lows.I love your thought process on getting over them hurdles.the picture board story is fantastic and a good sense of humour thrown in along the way.

As for one of the may highlights was almost two pages were i was shouting at the PC "trim your Butt plate " and along came the picture "YES" thank the lord hes done it.

This thread i am sure will be seen through to the end unlike so many others that have started and fallen by the way side will stand for others to follow.Top job mate keep going ,almost at that finishing post.

Then what?...........Another suit why not! :salute:

Edited by stukatrooper

Great thread and armour journey J001,Its a breath of fresh air to see a build thread with all its ups and downs,highs and lows.I love your thought process on getting over them hurdles.the picture board story is fantastic and a good sense of humour thrown in along the way.

As for one of the may highlights was almost two pages were i was shouting at the PC "trim your Butt plate " and along came the picture "YES" thank the lord hes done it.

This thread i am sure will be seen through to the end unlike so many others that have started and fallen by the way side will stand for others to follow.Top job mate keep going ,almost at that finishing post.

Then what?...........Another suit why not! :salute:

Thank you sir for the compliments! :D Glad you are enjoying my build thread. I'm so very close to completing my kit. Just touching up the hemet today. And that should do it I think. Posting more photos now. Thanks agin for the thumbs up! :D

Karen's gloves/handguards arrived yesterday. Unfortunately the XL is a bit too large for me.

I ordered some smaller one's the other day though from another source. I'll wait for those

and add my flex-guards.

web.jpg?ver=12738923290001

The AP guards turned out pretty nice though! I used a heat gun to form fit them to my hands.

web.jpg?ver=12738923520001

Just put them on, and heat them up while their on the back of your hand.

web.jpg?ver=12738923590001

Once they soften up a bit, form them around the back of your fist.

web.jpg?ver=12738923650001

You can either run them under cold water or blow on them to cool them of and making the plastic hard again.

web.jpg?ver=12738923710001

And one last thing... wear gloves while doing all of this. Don't want to burn your hands.

web.jpg?ver=12738923820001

Edited by jawa001

Chin up!

web.jpg?ver=12738925340001

Cut mask with XACTO

web.jpg?ver=12738925260001

Always prime 1st kids! Then slowly dust a few layers (a few minutes apart) until it's covered.

web.jpg?ver=12738925110001

Masking the grey stuff

web.jpg?ver=12738924970001

I cut up and taped shopping bags to help cover the lid. Rather than brushing, I could spray the larger details. make sure you cover all the edges so no paint gets in!

web.jpg?ver=12738924910001

ATA after spraying, AP with mask still on.

web.jpg?ver=12738924830001

Same...

web.jpg?ver=12738924750001

web.jpg?ver=12738924620001

Alright already Jesse! ;)

web.jpg?ver=12738924550001

Edited by jawa001

Since this detail is sunken in, and too hard to mask off... I decided to just brush it in. First, I used a pen to outline the area that I needed to paint. I'm overlapping it with an outline of black anyhow, so this will cover up any ink left outside of the grey area.

web.jpg?ver=12738924390001

Voilà!

web.jpg?ver=12738924320001

I found these at Meijer, and thought I would give it a try. It's spot on for the cheeks, but the paint is a bi flat, and will chip/scratch off. I will need to top-coat it after I'm done.

web.jpg?ver=12738924470001

Masking for black outline

web.jpg?ver=12738924250001

Black outline

web.jpg?ver=12738924170001

I used the paint pen for these, but I will go back in with some grey and a brush to clean it up a bit.

web.jpg?ver=12738924100001

That's about it for the paint then!

web.jpg?ver=12738924040001

I think the mark on the ear is a bit off (on the left lid). Also cut the brow too high for my liking, but still ...

web.jpg?ver=12738923970001

I found some aluminum mic tips online, sanded the paint off the ends. I really like how this looks!

web.jpg?ver=12738923430001

I might go back in and touch up the chin with some white. I know they varied in the movie, among other details. Also thinking of sanding the chin slightly, so that the white shows through a bit. It brings out the details.

web.jpg?ver=12738923350001

ATA & AP lid comparison. Am I crazy, or does the AP look a little bit ROTJ?

web.jpg?ver=12738923120001

Polish-up me lenses

web.jpg?ver=12738923210001

ATA & AP with lenses, brow, mics ... holly cow, I think I'm almost done!? *sniff* :blink:

web.jpg?ver=12738923060001

Edited by jawa001

Looking very nice! You're far more dedicated than I am in terms of masking those vents / traps. I just brush paint them for that "hurry these to the set" look. :)

Are you going to use the AP hand plates or the flexible ones?

Looking very nice! You're far more dedicated than I am in terms of masking those vents / traps. I just brush paint them for that "hurry these to the set" look. :)

Are you going to use the AP hand plates or the flexible ones?

Yeah I know... and at this point I'm like freeking out, because I'm so close to being done with it! :) Guess I'm a glutton for punishment!? :) I know though, if I don't do it right the 1st time, it will bug me until I fix it! :D

Edited by jawa001

Awsome job Jesse! I have been too busy trooping and working on other projects lately to spend time reviewing all the new build threads. Really nice work on that AP armor. Thanks for doing a great build thread B)

Looking great Mr. NoStripes ;) You're right about the AP and ROTJ, it is widely believed that the AP was cast of an ROTJ suit.

You may want to attach the biceps to the shoulder bells to keep them up and prevent them turning on you, and put some foam in the forearms to keep them up.

I was thinking that the painted bucket wouldn't match the armour, but it looks spot on, awesome job!

Edited by Shooter

Connect the biceps to the shoulders to keep them from twisting, yes, but I think you've got the height perfect.

Too many first builds (mine included) start out with the biceps tucked up too high with lots of gap between the biceps and forearms. I really like to see the biceps down low tucked right into the inside of the elbow and the forearms up snug against the biceps.

Just like this feller ...

2681243691_cd9f5fa60f.jpg

Uncle Pete (Stukatrooper) also gave me some good advice on connecting the forearms to the biceps to keep them high ...

... here ...

2292804998_7df92128fc_o.jpg

In general, Jesse, great work as ever.