ATA Trimming Question

After some time away from the armor, I've been working on it for the past week or so. I more or less have everything trimmed, but as I'm looking at the chest piece I'm not sure exactly how much I should trim of the neck and sides. The collar of the chest piece is tricky since the return edge is flat for half, and then more perpendicular to the chest on the other half. As a result it looks skewed.

I guess my question is, has anyone trimmed their armor so that there is no return edge or "thickness" to any of their pieces, whether it be chest, back, arms or legs? Or would it be in my best interest to leave some of this?

Tom

I have return edges on pretty much all the pieces of my ATA set. There is a picture on FISD somewhere of someone who DID NOT leave ANY return edges . . . I did not look right at all.

I say leave some edge.

i trimmed some of my return edges off from my kidney and butt plate, but that's just because they stabbed me in the back. other than that i've not trimmed any... good luck with your completion :)

Edited by Eric

an even better way is to compare the edges of screen captured photos from the film look you're going for.

some of the "return" edges are not 90 degrees. in some cases on the chest there is only a slight edge to it,

think along the sides of the upper chest plate.

sandtroopers have less return on some parts than on other armors.

the most noticeable area for the lack of a return edge would be

the chest plate bottom return. but thats only sandies.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

• 3 weeks later...