Build of a different kind

Ok so I own my own home and it has a garage. Something Ive only used to store old belongings and other junk that I will never look at again. Until now....

After working on my TK armor and doing 90% of the work on the kitchen table I decided it was time to turn the garage into a usefull building! Its time to create the ultimate TK workshop!!! :dancing-trooper:

So I thought it would be fun to share that process here. I will be taking pics along the way of the work I do. Starting with where it is today.

IMG_1394.jpg

So thats what Ive got. Its about 20X20. Ive already done ALOT of cleanup. Its hard to believe but you couldnt see the floor at all before I took 5 half ton loads of junk, scrap and clothing to the dump, recyle or salvation army. I tossed 12 garbage bags of completely good clothing that I will never where again into the Salvation Army bin! :)

Im in the process of removing all the old chipboard walls and insulation. And also the lights and drywall on the cieling will be coming down.

So what Im asking is for your feedback and ideas. What should every self respecting TK shop have? What do you have? Any ideas would be great as I dont want to forget anything. This garage will primarily be for Star wars costuming and memorabilia. It will be lighted and heated.

Let the fun begin! :smiley-sw013:

Edited by zsavk

I'm in the same boat, eventually I'm going to clear out all the junk I haven't even thought of in years and convert it into a bonafide workshop. As for suggested items:

- Lots of light (I use high-efficiency florescent bulbs)

- Heat source (you'll of course be spending LOTS of time in there and Ontario sounds cold, might as well make it comfortable)

- Mini-fridge (like I said, you'll be spending a lot of time in your workshop)

- A storable work table, I figure a 6' x 3' folding card table or something similar would do the trick. Good for laying out your TK or other in-progress costumes

- Clothes rack for TK undergarments and soft costumes (you can build one out of PVC pipe sections)

- Organized tools & supplies storage area (nothing more frustrating than not being able to find the right tool or part, especially when you KNOW you have it around somewhere)

- A wall or bulletin board to hang reference photos

- A computer, or at least somewhere safe to plug in your laptop

- Music player

Definitely take progress photos, I'll be looking for some inspiration. :)

Looks great! Awesome suggestions Brian. I would also suggest / add:

- I would clean / sweep / hose down the area if you can to lock down the dust. I hate spray painting and having dust land on a perfectly painted finish

- I like to have a working area or table (messy) and a clean area (for putting clean finished items, or freshly painted items. Make sure this area is dust free.

- a giant garbage bin (you know when you want to trim or sand something, and you do it over a garbage can? It helps from having to pick it up / sweep afterwards)

- a specific area with a solid table and scrap wood like 2 x 6 for drilling and hammering rivets, etc..

- heat / humidity / correct temperature is key for spray painting. Make a simple spray booth so that you can spray paint some items in the garage. get a giant cardboard box or build one out of wood. Flip the box on it's side, so that the opening faces you, and place it on a table / bench. Cut a big opening in the back, and the top. The top, cover it with clear or white plexiglass and or put a light on top (for light!) for the back, tape a dense furnace filter over the opening and place a rectangular box fan up against it. Duct the fan with tubing outside. Presto, you just made a low budget spray booth so that you don't have to fill your garage with dangerous fumes.

- spray stand. Take a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6, cut some coat hangar wire and twist the ends into a circle, and screw this end into a the wood. Do several of these for holding blasters, greeblies, etc in the spray booth for painting.

- a sanding area. If you're going to create a lot of dust, turn on the shop vac and sand over the hose if possible.

- a shop vac for cleaning up

- some bench tools would be handy, like a bend grinder / sanding wheel, etc.. I have a scroll saw I use quite a bit too.

- a bench mounted vise

- a mitre box (essential for hand cutting piping etc.. square, or a chop / mitre saw)

- spare clear rubbermaid boxes for storing bits

- a pegboard wall for your tools. I always seem to be reaching for the most common tools like:

- file

- Dremel

- heat gun

- curved scissors

- xacto knife

- sandpaper

- E6000 glue

- plastic weld

yeah, i've just been using my bedroom floor. lol. and my chair in the living room when i wanna be sociable while working. lol. good luck with the garage :D

Thanks guys, Electrician will be coming this week to disconnect the lights so I can remove them and the old rotting drywall thats there. Then Ill be gutting the place so that the Electrician can come back and ruff in some recepticles and a couple power feeds for a exhaust fan and a unit heater.

Ill update as things happen.

Great suggestions and I will be incorporating as many as possible.

• 3 months later...

Been working on this garage forEVER!@! Its finally coming to an end.

I removed all the old shingles and replaced them with Metal roofing (Im a sheetmetal worker by trade so it seemed logical) :) I then got a new concrete slab poured and have already reinsulated the walls and vapor barriered. This past week a friend of mine who is a Carpenter built me the awesomest table and work bench ever! lol Im finally able to work in there and now only fine tuning is left. :)

114_0307.jpg

That's beautiful Robert! Stash a futon and then going to the 'doghouse' from the wife is a welcome retreat :)

I have an awesome idea! You guys all move up to Thunder Bay and Ill issue you all keys! :D

Thanks for the comments guys.

The workbench is definetely the center piece. For those interested here is a list of materials:

Framing is 2X4 construction

Tops are 5/8 ply wood

All screwed together with 2,1/2 wood screws

Wheels are caster type with rubber tires. 2 of them are swivel style and placed on opposite corners from each other.

The wheels are also mounted on a 6X6 plate of 5/8 plywood and lagged screwed down.

Not visible is the 2X4 studding underneath the plywood on 16" centers.

The end dimensions are 8 feet long by 4 feet wide. 36 inches high.

This is a SOLID table that is easily maneuvered, and large enough to lay out your entire suit with room to spare.

Edited by zsavk