Attaching straps without rivets or snaps

Now that my wife has had the baby and is losing weight, it's time for me to fix her armor straps. Right now she's got snaps, but they aren't doing the job: they come loose way too often while marching, which resulted in some difficulty back at a Halloween parade last year. I got a load of small parachute clips to use instead. These won't unsnap on her, but should still be easy to get to and undo. Perfect for this application.

I need to attach them to straps, but I'm not certain how to attach the straps to the armor without riveting through. Another member of the garrison uses these clips but riveted them, and I don't really care for it. I've been toying with the idea of cementing some scrap ABS to the inside and looping the strap through it.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

This is how I did mine:

jNf5vLI.jpg

I ABS glued the nylon webbing right to the inside of the armor. I have yet to have any tear away. secure as all h*ll, and can takle quite a bit of tension. I put the clips where I normally had the snaps. I riveted the webbing to the clip. I ran it through the buckle on the clip, heated a nail, ran it through both parts of the webbing to sear it, and the dropped on a rivet and washer.

check here to see where I put them:

-----

Boozel

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Boozel said:

This is how I did mine:

I ABS glued the nylon webbing right to the inside of the armor. I have yet to have any tear away. secure as all h*ll, and can takle quite a bit of tension. I put the clips where I normally had the snaps. I riveted the webbing to the clip. I ran it through the buckle on the clip, heated a nail, ran it through both parts of the webbing to sear it, and the dropped on a rivet and washer.

check here to see where I put them:

-----

hope this answers anything, or at least helps some.

Boozel

So the ABS glue holds the webbing? I hadn't expected them to bond, but that's great to hear. I'll try that on some scraps tonight to make sure I get the amounts right, but that will cut back on the time I'm spending on it.

Many thanks.

Edited by gmrhodes13

The way Matt has shown works really well, the webbing usually takes very well to the abs when glued straight in like that.

As an alternative you can rivet the webbing straps to small squares of abs, say 1 1/2 inch or so and glue the square onto the abs, either way have worked well for me in the past.

• 3 months later...
Now that my wife has had the baby and is losing weight, it's time for me to fix her armor straps. Right now she's got snaps, but they aren't doing the job: they come loose way too often while marching, which resulted in some difficulty back at a Halloween parade last year. I got a load of small parachute clips to use instead. These won't unsnap on her, but should still be easy to get to and undo. Perfect for this application.

I need to attach them to straps, but I'm not certain how to attach the straps to the armor without riveting through. Another member of the garrison uses these clips but riveted them, and I don't really care for it. I've been toying with the idea of cementing some scrap ABS to the inside and looping the strap through it.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

I was wondering if you know where I can get parachute clips. I need quite a few.

I was wondering if you know where I can get parachute clips. I need quite a few.

I got mine at my local fabric store - called Fabricville here.

They had all sizes and they're pretty cheap too .. around a buck each IIRC!

I know youve been talking about doing it without rivets or snaps, but the system i used is holding pretty well. I havent taken it out on patrol but ive tugged and pulled pretty hard to test my system.

I took industrial velcro (the rough side) and stuck it on the abs. then took the same size strap and poked a hole in it with a soldering iron. THen used the 7 minute epoxy and glued them on after installing the snap on the strap. This idea I got from dave although I think I did it slightly different. at any rate, you can see pics of it up close -----

GL

Edited by gmrhodes13

Matt's solution is kick. However I'm surprised that the snaps are not holding. Mine have held for several years including doing the Rose Parade, without a single malfunction.

• Like 1