M38 scope mounting screws for Sterling E11. Help needed please

Hi guys,

I just bought a great M38 off Marv but it has no mounting screws. Does anyone have any spares to sell or know of a source of compatible screws that look like exactly like the originals? I'm in the UK and the 3/16" screws I've tried almost fit but all except one have a different thread.

I'd appreciate any help people can offer.

Thanks very much, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Well, it might not be the exact look, but i'm sure you could go to Ace hardware or somewhere similar and find a screw that will fit. It looks like it might be somewhere around a 1/4-20 That means the diameter of the screw shank is 1/4" in diameter and it has about 20 revolutions per inch. So to help narrow your search, try and measure the diameter of the screw. If its smaller than 1/4" then it will be a whole number. I think the next smaller size down from 1/4' is 12, then 10. Anyway, ace hardware would be a good place to go for you to find out what you need, then you might be able to get online and search for the exact style you want.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Unfortunately no hardware store I've tried has screws that fit. New 3/16" screws almost fit but the thread is different)

I've been looking in junk shops for old objects with similar screws but all I've found so far is the one with no head in the photo.

I could order some online if anyone can tell me the name/specification of the screw and its thread.

Ideally I'd like a genuine original but anything that works without stripping the scope thread would be great for now!

Thanks again, Andy

Hi Andy, as promised a picture of the mounting screws:

Mounting Screws.jpg

The head diameter is only 7mm, and 2mm in height. From the head to the end of the screw the measurement is 8mm.

You have I believe the M (thread size) size.

Although these are pictured with a partial thread, the threading could go the full length of the screw.

I'm not sure why I think this but I thought the screws they used to hold the scope onto the rail were hexagonal and brass....?

Sorry for any confusion if I'm wrong.

There were so many versions maybe some did and some didn't..?

John

That's exactly it John - the hex ones are for the M19 (& similar) mounting bracket & the round ones for the M38 (& similar) mounting bracket. here's a fuzzy pic ot the M38 mounting bracket open. You'll see the round screw is recessed and would be impossible to reach with a spanner. The M19 bolts are proud of the surface (sorry, I don't have a pic)

GEDC0152_060-1.jpgI

I've actually had some success with finding screws. I found some in a small ironmongers with the correct thread but the wrong length & wrong head size. They're solid brass & will be relatively easy to machine down to the dimensions Marv posted above. The ironmonger doesn't know what the thread is type is - he just found them in a shipment of clearance stock - he won't be getting any more so I bought the boxful in case future E11 scope owners want to buy accurate repro mounting screws.

I'll post pics when I've machined a pair down.

I'd still like some originals for total authenticity though :)

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub