A first rehersal, and first armour bites :)

So, today I got my act together and got all done up to take clearance photos. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that it looks like my chest poppers came undone and I didn't have the overlap. *sigh*. Also my belt looks bad, not a good angle. But it was fun!

Image link broken

And it most definitely showed me what was still wrong. The biggest problem is that every couple of minutes my thighs lower about a cm. It's not much, but it's enough to go from good comfort levels, to:

Image link broken

They are held up by a thick elastic loop, with a normal everyday belt, but it's obviously not enough. Any advice, sorely (literally) welcomed!

I also need to chop off a fair bit of the material that's part of my neckseal as it sticks out everywhere.

Connecting shoulders was the hardest, actually. I got the left on fine, but I needed help with the right, i just couldn't get solid purchase on the popper. Similarly, shins I just couldn't do.

But hey, enough of boring clearance and similar worries, this has to be fun, right? So I went out. It was, even on a quiet sunday afternoon in the north of Cambridge, brilliant to see people wandering by, on bikes, in cars and especially the skateboarder with a Vader shirt on - and their reactions. Also wonderful to see how easy it is to fall into character. I didn't have my amp connected, but it was still amusing :)

(and you can clearly see the open chest join, sigh)

Image links broken

Hi Kaa

I take it that you are an uncleared an un-inducted potential UKG trooper?

Sorry to put a damper on your thread.

1. Your out on a public street carrying an imitation firearm.

The UKG only do this by notifying the relevant police authorities.

If we troop by a public road, our weapons have to be holstered.

If you cause a vehicle accident being dressed as a Stormtrooper, or by being a female walking around in a short skirt then no problem.

If however the accident is caused and your weapon is out, you have a potential claim against you.

Be educated in this knowledge my friend.

I look forward to meeting you out trooping soon. :)

Yikes. Thanks for that, will keep that in mind. Don't worry - better to be informed than introuble! I've removed the photos from the host site now, but I can still see them in this thread. No reason for the community to be judged on my stupidity.

Edited by kaa1304

Hi, Kevin!

I don't know much about the firearm laws in the UK - sounds like they are for the public good. :)

As for your armor bites, as Phil suggests, the padding and lifting help. When I am wearing just the belt to hold up the thighs, which, by the way, are a genuine problem :(, I also use suspenders so that the belt doesnt slip down my waist, thereby lowering my thighs... I have some pics where I didn't use the suspenders and there is sometimes as much as a 3cm gap! Yuck!

You can probably trim up the back of the thighs a little bit, too. That's where I get the most bite - back of the knees. I trimmed a little more there to help.

Cheers, move along, move along.

you might also be able to get you thighs to sit higher by rotating them outward slightly (hope that makes sense)

Those armour bites look pretty br00tal

Is there much of a return edge there?

you might also be able to get you thighs to sit higher by rotating them outward slightly (hope that makes sense)

Those armour bites look pretty br00tal

Is there much of a return edge there?

It's not a huge return edge, but it is there. I also did a RE on the shims I added (seemed like a good idea at the time...) so I'll be removing some of it soon. When I was walking, to stop the pain I'd physically pull them up and rotate them slightly (thinking about it). My front photos show very little back between thigh and cod, so I could probably allow for an inch or so rotated out, just not sure how to keep them at a specific rotation angle?

thanks!

I run my straps inwards on a diagonal angle, so it's always pulling the thighs outward

Works for me (keep in mind, I'm rocking modded FX, so my thighs are weird and what works for me might not be so hot for you)

Oh, also I'm using one of MightyTank's garters

Edited by Darth Furious

Hi Guys,

So I'm still having problems with my thighs. I got a heavy duty armed forces belt and I relplaced the thigh strap with heavy duty elastic, initially it's much better but again within steps, at least one of the thighs droops and bites into my knee. And I've added foam and sanded down the return edges!

I think the droop is caused by the fact I can't keep the belt in place - put on, it's all straight and nice, but the thighs pull it right down at the front :/ I dont seem to have too much give left in them to rotate them out, but the initial position is all good - if only it wouldnt move!

Starting to get quite frustrated with this. If anyone has any further advice, I'd be very grateful,

thank you,.

First of all, you need to have good, strong elastic straps inside your thighs and the ends that go through your inner belt need to be pulled to your side. This will help keep them in the right position.

Secondly, I see is your thigh armour is shaped oddly. From the front they look wide and from the side they look narrow when it is usually the opposite way around. This could be why you are getting the armour bites.

Finally, if your inner belt is being pulled down so much then you can add some braces to keep them up. Use webbing so it doesn't stretch and it will keep your belt in place.

if this is CFO and it looks like it might be? Then the thighs are flattened. I think it is because the armor it was cast from was stored flat for so long the legs sortta squished. I had the same issue and had to heat the thighs (and the shins, and the biceps, and the forearms) and mold them back to the right shape.

This was easy for me as I have a large Lab oven at work that regulates temperature precisely. I set it to 100 degrees C and left the armor in there for 5 minutes and then held it in the right shape as it cooled. I repeated if needed.

If you don't reshape the limb parts they go odd angles as they try to rotate to a natural fit and not only will they bite into you, they will look screwy... you can see my before and after pics in my CFO thread in ROTJ section,

Edited by rhapsodyred99

Yes, it is CfO and I've also heard that rotj thighs are flatter... I think it may well be the problem , especially with the shims I've added. I have no idea how to reshaped them at all.I'd guess the reshaping needs to be done on the sides (ie not a join).

I'll look into a webbing bracer system, do you have any names or tips?

thanks

You can make the braces yourself. Go to your local fabric store or market haberdashery stall and buy some 1" black nylon or polypro webbing strapping. You will probably need about 5 metres at most and some quick release buckles. I don't have any photos to show you but they are pretty easy to make, especially if you get the buckles that have the slots in so you can adjust the lengths.

I was able to base my reshaping on my RS kit I had on hand at the time. Basically all my parts were glued together so I heated them and then hugged the thighs to my chest and compressed them from the sides which made them pop out on the back and front as they are supposed to do. basically as you look down the inside of the thigh it should be an oval with the thinnest parts at the front and back (CFO as it ships has the oval going the other way)

This is more an issue on the thighs and calves that you really need to reshape or they just do not fit a normal leg shape.

until i reshaped the calves especially they would not stay with the front at the front and would always turn sideways as soon as I moved.

I used my Lab oven, I am not sure if a heat gun and clamps would work or not.

Good Luck!

here is a before:

aFqx1wo.jpg

VdlYIWJ.jpg

and after: It is a subtle change but it makes the world of difference:

7dMaK3g.jpg

i5A1TF6.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

Actually, yes, my shins - although not as bad as the thighs - do give me a little headache also.

I do have a heat gun but I've found that it tends to go from warm -> melting without much warning haha. I'm loathe to point it at armour, for this reason. Thanks for the tip though, I'll mull it over.

I have also heard of people boiling water and pouring it over the offending piece of armor and then reshaping it either with clamps and spacers first then pouring the water over, or pouring the water over then while wearing gloves holding the armor where it needs it.

Some have even ran cold water over it after the boiling to make it cool faster.

this is fairly easy on arm parts, going to be a different beast on the legs...

So I decided to stop being a wimp and reshape my thighs with a heat gun. After much scientific measuring, it seemed that jamming a bluray box into the thigh to get the shape, then gently heating the ABS to "hot" to soften it, then letting it cool to keep the new shape seemed the best idea. I say best idea, I mean best guess. Even "best" is pushing it - but it worked!

thighround.jpg

From top to bottom, before, during and after. It doesn't look much but the difference is huge - no pain.

Thanks for all the advice guys. This was the last bit I needed so I finally have also applied for clearance :)