TIP: using velcro closure for shins

Just thought I’d write this up as a tip, a bunch of people have asked me for info on this. It’s not really a pet peeve of mine, I just think it looks better and it’s easy to do if you’re building your armor up for the first time.

If you’re building up your shin armor “over lap” style” (one side of the shin overlaps the other, and attaches with Velcro). This applies whether the armor has built in ridges built in, or if you’re doing your build ANH style and using cover strips – and still utilizing Velcro to close the shins.

The shins will look more seamless to someone looking at you (from the “outside”), if the open side of the overlap with Velcro faces to the “inside”. That way, the outside view is seamless, you just see the armor or cover strip glued to the back of the shin with no gaps. The inside will have the overlap and the Velcro slightly visible. This isn’t a big deal, but when you use Velcro – no matter how hard you press it down the hook and loop sides of the Velcro have a certain thickness to them, and increases the overlap of the armor.

Positioning it to the inside makes it slightly hidden, that way you’re always facing your “best side” outwards.

Enjoy. :)

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Terry

Nice one fella, fantastic illustration , :duim:

Saves a few people digging through the old threds finding the info (...even though they should <_< 'coz you learn more that way :D )

Guys

Here's a link with some additional info to accompany Terry's Top-Tip :)

------------

Billhag said:

The originals were left clam shelled shut but most people fit velcro to secure them closed for trooping

YqoEdA9.jpg

Hope this helps mate :)

:)

Edited by gmrhodes13

That diagram is much better than mine! I never even knew it existed! That looks like the work of the great Stukatrooper no doubt. :)

:D Close mate

You're right about the photos, they're Pete's, but the little doodles and descriptions came from little ol' me I'm afraid :D

Uh oh, Terry's not going to be happy with me ;) So I had initially planned on doing the overlap like mentioned above, but the AP kit is clearly designed for a left overlap and IMHO I thought it would take some serious torque or heat to correct.

Due to larger legs I had to cut a little differently, so hopefully it works out.

I'm just waiting on glue to dry, when I do I'll see how it looks and post some pics.

My shins were a bit wonky when I assembled them too, but I used a heat gun and slowly heated the shins and bent them so that they overlapped / lined up where I wanted them to. I'm not sure if you're doing it ANH style, but on mine, I heated them until the backs of the shins lined up perfectly in a butt seam, then when I glued the cover strip on, it concealed the overlap perfectly. Then just apply your velcro and you're done.

Well, as it turns out, no matter what I did, the double left close looked like garbage, so I ripped off the finishing strip and the extra amount of torque actually helped the seal, lol, go figure. As usual Terry, you are the master ;) I guess I'm pig headed sometimes and have to try things the hard way, lol.

• 4 months later...
On 2/5/2010 at 4:29 AM, Billhag said:

Terry

Nice one fella, fantastic illustration , :duim:

Saves a few people digging through the old threds finding the info (...even though they should <_< 'coz you learn more that way :D )

Guys

Here's a link with some additional info to accompany Terry's Top-Tip :)

------------

Hi Mate, What glue did you use to glue the front of the shin together?

:)

Edited by gmrhodes13