Jonathan's ATA Build[*ATA]

I wanted to have a different thread for the build so here is the first fruits of my labor on the ATA kit. I finished this the other night. I put it up here for you guys to critique it so go right ahead. There is a gap between the cap and face plate. The cap does not fit flush against the faceplate and there is quite a bit of space so I might need to glue the brow strip on there to keep it secure. You dont really notice it unless you were shorter and happened to look straight up at me. So I guess its not a big deal Okay guys tell me what you think.

IMG00255.jpg

IMG00256.jpg

IMG00258.jpg

IMG00257.jpg

Jonathan

I am glad you started a new post for the fruits of your labor man. Even though you moved it, The bucket still looks great!

I am re -posting the paint info so you will not have to jump back to your original post to get it :duim:

Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!

Paint tips:

There are some things you will need to do when prepping your helmet for paint.

Use a scotchbrite pad on the surface of the helmet first.

Then use Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner or any good All-Purpose Cleaner and then rinse well with water.

Then use a lint free cloth with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) wipe the surface down to clean any remaining

oils and dirt off the surface.

Just before you paint, use a tack cloth to remove any dust or loose materials.

When you are ready to paint the helmet:

Set the helmet on a stand ( use a 2x2 inch think 4ft tall piece of wood, nailed to the center of a 2ft x 2ft piece of plywood for a stable base) the stand is so you can prime and paint all areas without having to touch the helmet.

Test your spray paint. Shake the can vigorously before spraying. Test your paint or spraying technique in an inconspicuous area or on a piece of scrap material before beginning to spay your lid.

Apply multiple thin coats. Once you have completed your paint test and are satisfied, spray the helmet using several thin, multiple coats instead of one thick coat. Begin and finish your spray pattern off the object, releasing the button at the end of each pass. Use an even side-to-side motion with each pass overlapping your spray pattern.

Clean spray valve after use. Before storing your aerosol cans for future use, clean the spray valve by turning the cans upside down and spraying for 5 seconds. This helps prevent the spray tip from clogging.

Allow the helmet to dry. Check the directions on the back of the can for a recoat window. A recoat window identifies when additional coats can be applied within a certain timeframe. When you are finished applying all coats, do not handle the helmets surface until the paint has cured.

Curing time will vary depending on humidity and temperature. SO do not rush it!

You do not want finger prints all over your stormie. Set it somewhere out of the way in a dry, warm place.

DO NOT set near a heater, fire place, stove or oven.

Type of paint I would suggest is Rust-Oleum aerosol paint (Professional HIGH PERFORMANCE ENAMEL SPRAY- Gloss White 7592)

yhst-11746525231274_2085_1087428097.jpg

Hope this info help you. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask!

You can also refresh your memory on painting with TK-4510's video tutorials here. The painting starts around #19.

The brow fits different on everyones. I have mine so "raised" (move along) that it is wedged against the faceplate pretty tight. I followed that entire set of videos for my build though too.

Great job so far... keep us posted!

Make sure that the weather permits. Apply only when air and surface temperatures are above 50°F (10°C). If there is any moisture, fog ect. don't paint. :salute:

Whats up guys? Its terribly cold here in NC and we got a good amout of snow too. Anyway I've been workin on the build and its going a bit slower than I expected but I do think that I have made some good progress for never doing this before haha. I have been doing a lot of work on my helmet as that is what I wanted to finish first. I will admit that it's no TM or anything. It has some flaws but over all I think that the helmet looks great. I also took a pic of the chest too, I one set of complete arm armor done just not ready for a picture. The cold weather is probably gonna show down the painting part I am thinking. Well here is the pictures. Hope you guys enjoy. I'd love some opinions on the helmet even though I couldnt really change any thing at this point. Thanks Guys! :)

Jonathan

IMG00027.jpg

IMG00018.jpg

IMG00019.jpg

IMG00020.jpg

IMG00021.jpg

Hey Jon, when you put the tube stripes on are you going with even stripes or are you going more authentic with them like the original screen used lids?

What I meant, was the number of tube stripes.

The original screen used helmets did not always have even numbers on each side of the helmet....

For example:

Han's helmet had 11 on on the right and 13 on the left.

Luke's helmet had 13 on both sides.

"Move along" helmet had 13 on the right and 16 on the left.

"Stop that ship" helmet had 13 on both sides.

The number of tube stripes range from 9 to 16.

Also there's one TK on the Tantive IV missing tubestripes totally... But thats does not meet with 501st CRL :P:lol:

So whether you do decals or paint the tube stripes on, how many stripes are you going to have and are you going to make them odd or even?

What I meant, was the number of tube stripes.

The original screen used helmets did not always have even numbers on each side of the helmet....

For example:

Han's helmet had 11 on on the right and 13 on the left.

Luke's helmet had 13 on both sides.

"Move along" helmet had 13 on the right and 16 on the left.

"Stop that ship" helmet had 13 on both sides.

The number of tube stripes range from 9 to 16.

Also there's one TK on the Tantive IV missing tubestripes totally... But thats does not meet with 501st CRL :P:lol:

So whether you do decals or paint the tube stripes on, how many stripes are you going to have and are you going to make them odd or even?

Oh okay I didnt understand at first. I had the tube stripes on there but I decided to repaint and took them off. Before I took them off I did actually have 11 on both sides cause if I had 13 or 12 on the ATA they don't all fit on there so they look even.

I protest! Mr. No Stripes is being unfairly singled out. :angry: I want to start a campaign to get Mr. No Stripes as-seen-on-screen accepted in the Legion! :salute: :salute: :salute:

I protest! Mr. No Stripes is being unfairly singled out. :angry: I want to start a campaign to get Mr. No Stripes as-seen-on-screen accepted in the Legion! :salute: :salute: :salute:

LOL I second that. Mr No Stripes is all over ANH. Hes searching the MF. Hes shooting at Luke and Leia before they jump, etc... He really should be accepted. :D

LOL I second that. Mr No Stripes is all over ANH. Hes searching the MF. Hes shooting at Luke and Leia before they jump, etc... He really should be accepted. :D

It looks like to me, Mr. No Stripes was doing all the work around the Empire, and getting treated like donkey! <_<

OK mates... All for Mr. No Stripes getting his fair shake!! Say I!! :salute: I'll drink to that :pint1:

Keep up the great work Jon!!! :duim: Can't wait to see more of your build!!

Oh okay I didnt understand at first. I had the tube stripes on there but I decided to repaint and took them off. Before I took them off I did actually have 11 on both sides cause if I had 13 or 12 on the ATA they don't all fit on there so they look even.