VT Helmet Build[*VT]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok all, got the 'ears' on.... looks ok.

Ā 

I did have a couple of issues, the main one being I drilled in the wrong place, but I figure, the hole is on the inside, so sod it :D Also the bottom section that tucks under the lid, when I drilled this it went to close to the edge of the rear section, so the hole went U shaped. I glued on a piece of ABS to resolve (Again Hidden) and everything is OK.

Ā 

Just a question as well, the ears are level to the eyes and each other, but the lid itself is slightly skewed, so if you look at the left ear, it is lower against the cap'n'back than the right.... strange.

Ā 

I really dont like the large gaps either, you can see where the cap'n'back joins the face plate, so I have some decorators chaulk which I am going to try and use to fill (Nearly a perfect fit from behind though!!! go figure :P ). I take it, if I make a boo boo with this, it can be wiped/pull off to clean?

Ā 

Finally, if you look at the shot looking down into the lid, you will notice that there isnt exactly a constant 'rim' to attach the neck rubber to, any suggestions? Trim the face plate and ear sections?

Ā 

Cheers guys, you've all been ace so far :D

Ā 

VTH_5887.jpg

Ā 

VTH_5893.jpg

Ā 

VTH_5890.jpg

Ā 

VTH_5889.jpg

Ā 

VTH_5888.jpg

Ā 

VTH_5896.jpg

Ā 

VTH_5895.jpg

Ā 

VTH_5894.jpg

Ā 

VTH_5902.jpg

point taken on the eyes, I was just a little scared to do this when originally trimming them out. Will hopefully get chance to do this on the weekend.

Ā 

When you say trim the top of the left ear, you mean the top part that sits against the helmet?

Ā 

Any Ideas on the rubber neck area?

but the lid itself is slightly skewed,

Ā 

Finally, if you look at the shot looking down into the lid, you will notice that there isnt exactly a constant 'rim' to attach the neck rubber to, any suggestions? Trim the face plate and ear sections?

Ā 

Ā 

About the lid being sightly wonked, don't worry so much about that, the original screen used lids were very much wonked...

Ā 

As for the lip/rim problem, my suggestion is, if you have any of the material left over that you trimmed off that is big enough to use as a patch, then you can use it for this fix. If you don't have any material left that you can use, then get a "FOR SALE" sign from the hardware store and use it to extend the lip/rim.

Ā 

First take the "FOR SALE" sign and trace both sides of the short part of the rim/lip. now you have the right curve to match the short area of the rim.

Ā 

Now cut a strip ( about 30mm wide by however long the section that is short/missing) you will need two of these strips, one for each side.

Ā 

Put glue on the edges of the strip and clamp half to the inside of the rim that is too short/missing. Repeat the same for the other side of the short lip/rim.

Ā 

The strip will give you a backing edge and support for you to extend the rim. Let glue cure.....

Ā 

Now take the part of the sign that you traced both sides of the rim and cut them out and glue and clamp them to the backing strip .

Ā 

After the glue has cured, then you can do any finishing trim work. The neck trim should cover the patch areas.

Ā 

Ā 

57732ed3.jpg

Ā 

1-1.jpg

Ā 

2.jpg

As far as the gaps you now have,its down to your positioning not your trimming.What did Dr stuka say about NOT putting the ears straight? if you had or are going to position the ears at more of an angle then the gap will be greatly reduced.

heh Stuka,

Ā 

The ears are on pretty much at -35 degrees of straight down on both sides, anymore and they wouldnt cover where the cap'n'back meets the front plate (In fact they are both resting on the seam).

Ā 

The split where the fold in the ABS was is also visible, so I am think, fill the gaps with decorators chaulk and spray it :)

Ā 

I like it, however the boo boo with the 1st ear I put on has caused the epoxy putty to shatter as it had 2 holes drilled side by side... :( I have taken this out and I am gonna set it back up and drill it properly.

Ā 

I'll post piccies when done. I didnt have this much trouble with my crappy fibreglass lid i got for Ā£25 ;) This VT lid is wayyyyy wonky :P

Ā 

Stephen

Ā 

Ā 

As far as the gaps you now have,its down to your positioning not your trimming.What did Dr stuka say about NOT putting the ears straight? if you had or are going to position the ears at more of an angle then the gap will be greatly reduced.

• 2 weeks later...

Well all,

Ā 

I'm ready for the cascade, but, I tore my VT apart. Filled the fitting hole with epoxy putty, and repositioned the face plate & ears, I had to trim more off the cap n back but who cares. I then took 4-5 cuts with T-Cut to take out the scratches, and polished this baby up, its now as shiney as the most shiney shiney thing you've ever seen shine :D I also applied the neck trim :D.

Ā 

I applied the decals, and just need to add the lenses, mic tips and the frown mesh, and voila :D

Ā 

Anyone got any tips for using the strip of green plastic I was provided (Until I get the mullah for decent lenses)?

Ā 

WID_6357.jpg

Ā 

WID_6362.jpg

Ā 

WID_6356.jpg

Ā 

WID_6363.jpg

Ā 

WID_6372.jpg

Edited by Discharged_Mindriot

BTW the left ear looks like it protrudes a lot more than the right, but trust me, thats the camera angle, as the face plate is real wonky, they are exactly the same, I am so anal I used a micrometer to measure them :D

Edited by Discharged_Mindriot

Hey Stephen, Your VT lid looks Sweet!! The neck trim turned out great too :duim: And like I said the original screen used lids were wonderful hand-sculpted creation and VERY WONKED (asymmetrical). I like your helmet and I think it gives the helmet character like the originals :smiley-sw013:

Ā 

I have seen TK helmets that are symmetrical, and there is something about their look that just doesn't look right...

• 2 weeks later...

MAN I WANT SOME TM (Prefered) or TE2 armour! I think I cuold do it justice!

Ā 

Ā 

btw, i have painted the frown and vocoder, ears and done the eyes, just need to take photos, I love it, it looks great! I now want some armour..... dammit... any real cheap but decent quality suggestions?

Hey Stephen, can't wait to see the pix, man. :smiley-sw013:

Ā 

Can't go wrong with TM or TE2, AP, AM and ATA. I'll PM you with some their info.

Ā 

Ā 

74134591_v24ZxUnQ_smileycamera.gifNow get some bloody pix up, mate... :P

I now want some armour..... dammit... any real cheap but decent quality suggestions?

Ā 

Sine you already have a VT helmet why not go with VT armour? I beleive the VT kit is a different shade of white to most other armours out there.

Ā 

Good luck with your build.