My First Armor build : AP Helmet and hand plates[*AP]

UPDATE 2010: Progress has been in small steps...first full test fit tonight, I can feel things that need to be adjusted and having the pictures have shown me the directions I want to go in, fix left knee, trim and even up the strips on thighs, add elastic in places and get things firmed up. Still lots to do....Thinking I am about 50-60% complete.....must keep moving along to be ready by February for Star Wars exhibit in Anchorage!! Comments welcome:

Front

TestFit.jpg

TestFit2.jpg

TestFit1.jpg

Back

TestFit5.jpg

Arms out

TestFit4.jpg

TestFit3.jpg

Hey Dennis, looking good so far! Looks like that harness worked out :)

Just a couple points:

- As Stuka pointed out, the shoulder bell lateral straps will help a lot. I’m not sure what thickness of elastic you’re using for the shoulder bell to bicep connection, and the shoulder (near your neck) to bicep. But I tend to use something a little wider, I find that helps reduce floppage. If you’re using like ½” or something, I find it swings a lot.

- For the strap holding the shoulder bell on, can you tighten that up? I’m not sure if your shoulders are really that wide underneath, but the bells seem really wide.

- Can you raise the thighs a bit using the garter adjustments? The black gap there looks a bit big, and there’s no gap at your knees. So you could even those out a bit so that you have a bit of black showing at the thighs / hips and at the knees

- The battery packs on your right knee seem to be drooping (there’s a visible gap at the front between the battery pack top and the end of the thigh armor). Can you close this up with a bit of Velcro? That’s what I did to keep it in place.

- I’d maybe lower the chest a bit. Can you extend the strap between the chest / back and lower the chest plate a bit? It seems tight against your throat.

That’s all I got for now! :)

Hey Dennis, looking good so far! Looks like that harness worked out :)

Just a couple points:

- As Stuka pointed out, the shoulder bell lateral straps will help a lot. I’m not sure what thickness of elastic you’re using for the shoulder bell to bicep connection, and the shoulder (near your neck) to bicep. But I tend to use something a little wider, I find that helps reduce floppage. If you’re using like ½” or something, I find it swings a lot.

- For the strap holding the shoulder bell on, can you tighten that up? I’m not sure if your shoulders are really that wide underneath, but the bells seem really wide.

- Can you raise the thighs a bit using the garter adjustments? The black gap there looks a bit big, and there’s no gap at your knees. So you could even those out a bit so that you have a bit of black showing at the thighs / hips and at the knees

- The battery packs on your right knee seem to be drooping (there’s a visible gap at the front between the battery pack top and the end of the thigh armor). Can you close this up with a bit of Velcro? That’s what I did to keep it in place.

- I’d maybe lower the chest a bit. Can you extend the strap between the chest / back and lower the chest plate a bit? It seems tight against your throat.

That’s all I got for now! :)

The harness you fabricated is AWESOME!!! taking steps now to adjust and complete armor suggestions posted: getting elastic correct on the bells and such.

Wow I am very pleased with feedback and humbled by having the help from those that posted. Additional comments are welcome as I inch closer to the end. thanks again. Photos to be updated this weekend...Dennis

The end is in sight and looks good.

Some tips for the arm elastic for you to stop the shoulder bells from falling about.

2290174304_0114eb0b31_o.jpg

2288654677_4d346fe633_o.jpg

2288645359_9dde8ef053_o.jpg

2289441972_9b68a44e73_o.jpg

2289439666_d87245eb87_o.jpg

Hope this all helps on your build.

I am doing my best to mimick your photos. Thanks for posting ...Dennis

The harness you fabricated is AWESOME!!! ...Dennis

Glad you like it!

A few people have asked, this is the custom harness / garter system I made for Dennis (displayed on a mannequin). It was custom made for his armor based on his body size.

4217686038_98c4f4ce9b.jpg

4216922767_ab04a92816.jpg

Nice strapping system there Panda, I had no idea you made these for folks.....That's a good service you provide there buddy....

Dennis, just go steady buddy and don't rush the strapping, when you strap everything together for the first time.... walk around a bit and then look in the mirror to see if the armour hangs correctly... it's more than likely you will have to make adjustments.... You may find for example that you want your shoulder bells tighter to your neck, so make a shorter shoulder to shoulder strap. My bells are actually snap fitted to my harness and I have an additional chest strap across the front of my harness to keep it's shape and firmness....

Look fwd to the pics...... :)

Ok here are the last pictures:

Firts a couple of the shoulder fix from Stukatrooper....

DSCF2905.jpg

DSCF2907.jpg

My application pictures:

TK0001.jpg

TK0002.jpg

TK0003.jpg

TK0004.jpg

TK0005.jpg

TK0006.jpg

I feel I did my best with my build, it can always be improved on for EIB later, also very pleased with the pictures, for not having a photo studio or better camera. I am hopeful to have membership by February so I can troop at the Star Wars exhibit icoming to Anchorage......

Comments welcome and suggestions welcome....thanks again to everyone that has helped me, special thanks to pandatrooper!!!

Well done Dennis!!! :duim: Just remember ANH TKs hold the E11 in their Left hand. :P

One more thing, nothing big.... The shoulder bells look back a little too far from the front. That maybe caused by the under shirt, it looks a bit bulky. You may need to find a slick cloth style black shirt like Under armor :<a href="http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens/gearline/coldgear?iid=99|Mens|Silo-Landing-3-Middle-4-Bottom|top_01|M|ColdGear|C|Shop|" target="_blank">http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens...oldGear|C|Shop|</a>

Awesome looking suit!!!!!!

TK0006.jpg

Glad I could help Dennis. :)

Looks awesome, turned out really nice! As mentioned, you maybe just need a slight tweak to the shoulder bells but that's pretty minor. Nice work, congratulations!! I'm sure you'll get your TK number, no problem!

Thanks for the comments! heard form the GML today they recieved my application...just waiting for the confirmation....gusee it comes from Staff at 501st??

I have adjusted the shoulder bell connection and thinking the slight tweeaking will help. Also still waiting on a one piece suit I ordered from renaissance ....will replace shirt which appears loose...Have to go to Fairbanks and see about underarmor... will always continue to work on the buid, guess it never really over,, plenty of re-fitting after long troops also i am sure...( just like when I was an 11B in the US Army)

Will let everyone know when it is official

:D:D:D

Recieved acceptance notification tonight, wow that was fast!!! TK9234 in the house!!

Thanks again for all the help and cant waiting to get my troop on at the Star Wars exhibit in Anchorage!! (not to mention all the hunting and fishing missions I will be going on) SWEET!

I am stoked!!!

TK9234...out!!!

Hey Alaskan,

I will be building soon, and have a quick question...

How much noise do you make when you walk around? I'm asking cuz it looks like your thighs and shins are real close together. It looks like it would be cumbersome to walk.

Just curious.

Hey Alaskan,

I will be building soon, and have a quick question...

How much noise do you make when you walk around? I'm asking cuz it looks like your thighs and shins are real close together. It looks like it would be cumbersome to walk.

Just curious.

I can not hear very well with the lid on....hehehe

I feel really good in my armor, can travel just fine, stairs no problems, I cut out a small amount behind the knees to allow for enough bend for walking and such. I took some video at the local mall it on Youtube, user name is: SalmonJedi65

The forearms do give me trooper bites, but from what I read here at FISD we all get them to some degree.

Getting ready to go to Anchorage on my first official troop, the star wars exhibit kicks off at the museum there:

http://www.adn.com/front/story/1127718.html (check out the comments on the page, looks like some trooper TK9234 likes the idea of trooping?)

Have fun Dennis!!!! Have someone take lots of pix of your troop for the opening of the Star Wars Exhibit :)

If it was the same SW Exhibit that I saw, It was great! Get some pix with you at Luke's landspeeder/Tatooine exhibit. They should also have an ANH Princess Leia exhibit. Get one of you looking like you are stunning Princess Leia too!!

Don't forget to Ride the Millenium Falcon simulator!!!

HAVE FUN!!! :salute:

I can not hear very well with the lid on....hehehe

I feel really good in my armor, can travel just fine, stairs no problems, I cut out a small amount behind the knees to allow for enough bend for walking and such. I took some video at the local mall it on Youtube, user name is: SalmonJedi65

The forearms do give me trooper bites, but from what I read here at FISD we all get them to some degree.

Getting ready to go to Anchorage on my first official troop, the star wars exhibit kicks off at the museum there:

http://www.adn.com/front/story/1127718.html (check out the comments on the page, looks like some trooper TK9234 likes the idea of trooping?)