Matt the trooper expert

do we really want this thread visable to everyone? seems like were taking sides in a debate... and though i agree with things said here i also think that new recruits shouldn't be subject to such dribble

It's not dribbel it shows new people the huge issues that this producer has had in the past and continues to have. Since Matt has been banned noone really knows about his issues, I was simply bringing a difficult sitaution to the attention of the hobby.

do we really want this thread visable to everyone? seems like were taking sides in a debate... and though i agree with things said here i also think that new recruits shouldn't be subject to such dribble

I dont think so..... one just has to search engine ( Matt, te, & or Gino) and all the threads will pop up. this way we just save ppl from searching. Personally i would have like to be aware of both of these guys when i first started. and its better if the new guys are aware of the two extremes they can deal with Matt, better to know what they could posible be getting into.....

I think that we should expose new guys to all the costuming experiances Good one as well as bad ones. Its up to them to roll the dice and see what Lady luck has for them. But by not telling them i think thats cruel, as a general rule we try to help out and do good to all in the FISD..... Not in the sence of bashing matt or gino but letting ppl know that there are many ppl that have had problems them and some that didnt. after that it up to them to see.

well i would hope the new people who come here would do some research or ask some questions before spending money on something... i dunno there are good and bad points to both

I'm one of Matt's best friends, and I won't bother denying how hot headed the guy is, how fast a pushy client gets him peeved(online OR in person, and that guy was really being a dink), how fast he gets behind and can't seem to catch up, and I can't count the times I've told him to chill out in forums and stop writing emails angry <_<

I also know that many people that choose to deal with him send their money, then wait without any prodding are treated very well(not saying that's ok, but there it is) and seen him return money when pushed too hard and tell that person to go F themselves.

Sigh..........

I've also learned that this is why artists and companies of any kind have marketing departments, customer service representatives and spokespeople: makers tend to be extremely cranky. I should know, I am. I just have a bit more control and some hesitance about starting a conflict.

I also know that when you play it nice, two out of five times people will start taking advantage in business. People tell you what they feel like paying and call you a crook because you won't negotiate. I can't count the times when Matt told me about some guy riding his case about upgrading materials, pushing forward the deadline, and generally being a jerk and refusing to pay another cent for the trouble. Many of those he provided and never took their business again, some he knew he would always have to deal with to stay afloat.

I learned a lot from him, more than I imagine most makers would waste on a rookie, and I owe him debts greater than money. The goal has always been a decent job, good health, and a happy home life. I've seen all three take an epic beating over the last 10 years I've known him, I've seen him soldier on, I've seen him quit time after time because he thought, just for a moment, that he was set and could walk away, then someone crappy happened and it was his only fallback. It may seem a joke to most that he keeps coming back, but I wasn't laughing.

I'll ask about the delayed suits, as I try to keep his biz moving and customers happy. I've played go-between more times than I care to recall :P

But for the record, as the TE2 molds are the same ones he used before TE2 became XXXX, I can't see where a difference would occur. But that's me B)

Thanks Joey for your post. People either love him or hate him.

I'm certain that everyone concerned knows where I stand... ;)

The difference you speak of is the fact that "he is The Master".

T :salute:

ePS: Could you ask him about MY helmet... :rolleyes:

Thanks Joey for your post. People either love him or hate him.

I'm certain that everyone concerned knows where I stand... ;)

The difference you speak of is the fact that "he is The Master".

ePS: Could you ask him about MY helmet... :rolleyes:

You got it Tony ;)

That banner kills me, btw.

Darth Finger, a year and seven months ago Matt didn't have any molds, what kind of suit do you mean? I asked, he doesn't recall a transaction and reminded me that he wasn't making suits til the rotj run, (sold te2 molds almost 3 years ago)drop him a line to let him know.

Allan -- no problem. I really have no axe to grind, I was just commenting on what I've observed here over the last couple years.

Smitty -- sounds like you and I have very similar opinions on this matter.

Joey -- while I can't say my opinion has changed drastically, I'm truly impressed with your post. You definitely gave us all a lot of pause for thought, I think. Matt's lucky to have you as a friend. :duim:

I first came to this board in search for armor. I had not a clue about any of the different types of armor out there, I was a complete noobie. I quickly absorbed all I could about armor and all the different types, and I realized that I wanted to get ROTJ armor. So what did i do? I asked about how to get ROTJ armor, and i was given many responses. I was PMed a message about Matt, and how he is planning on doing a run of ROTJ armor. I was given an Matt's email, and I got in touch with him. He gave me some info and told me to give him a call. My first impression of Matt was "wow this is a pretty cool dude." We talked a lot about armor, he told me the history of how he obtained the armor, and the lineage of it, and also told me about the archives as well.

Now I knew from the start that this was going to be a test of patience from the start, my motto has always been "Art is not rushed" so I try to follow that. We kept in contact very frequently and he would always give me exciting new updates on the armor with photos and a lot of detailed info, it was a blast. I also paid him in segments once every two or so weeks. He was very friendly, great humor, and pretty much an average guy.

Now i will admit, there were times that i got antsy, and anxious, but i managed to keep myself together and keep waiting. From the get-go, I told him that I wanted an ABS suit; I remember countless times being told how many problems he was having forming the ABS pieces, and I was beginning to think that i would never get an ABS ROTJ suit. After almost a year of waiting, my ABS TE ROTJ suit arrives on my door step.

Matt pulled through on his end and created a killer set of armor for me.

The only thing I can complain about is that early this year, he offered me a rotj suit that was, supposedly, the very first suit "they" had pulled back in 98 or 99. I was sent photos and i was told the entire back story on this armor and why he was offering it to me. I took to offer and bought it. Now this was somewhere early this year, and i was told that the suit was going to be sent out many times. I know how Matt is and I know how he tends to run behind and get sidetracked, that's all fine with me. The only problem i have, is being told that the suit is going to be sent out next week, or in the next 2 weeks, and after a month i have nothing. I dont have any beef with matt, the only suggestion i can make on his business practice is that he sticks to his word. If its going to be sent out next week, then send it out.

Matt I know you are reading this, Whats up man! However, on another note, I know not to expect any nasty letters from Matt because I have already explained to him my frustration toward him telling me that the suit is going to be sent out this week, or that week, and its already close to the end of the year and I have no suit (besides the ABS). Matt is still a great guy and I am proud to say my TE armor is the first armor I have ever owned. Sure he needs a kick in the butt every now and again, but so do all of us.

Im not vouching for him or slamming him, he is what he is. Just like TM, AP, TE2, they all have different ways of interaction. Some communicate more than others, and some deliver their product faster than others. You just need to know what you are getting into before you get into it.

I do apologize about your bad experience and angry letters. But like Joey said, Matt does not take liking to pressure from clients. You just got to let the man do what he does, if you got a problem, tell him. Again, that is who he is, you just got to be prepared with who you deal with.

I hope what I say to you guys makes since, im a bit tired, but i felt the need to voice my thoughts on this matter. I hate to see Matt bashed and his work negatively criticized. I had a pretty positive experience. And i would possibly do business with him again. first I need that set of armor. :P

Caleb

"The only problem i have, is being told that the suit is going to be sent out next week, or in the next 2 weeks, and after a month i have nothing. I dont have any beef with matt, the only suggestion i can make on his business practice is that he sticks to his word. If its going to be sent out next week, then send it out."

And there you go the crux of the issue at hand.

"I do apologize about your bad experience and angry letters. But like Joey said, Matt does not take liking to pressure from clients."

Well then Matt shoudl not make promises that he knows he can not keep. I do not take liking to people taking 1000 dollars and then not delivering in any sort of a timely fashion that they have agreed to. But thats that.

Caleb

I'm one of Matt's best friends, and I won't bother denying how hot headed the guy is, how fast a pushy client gets him peeved(online OR in person, and that guy was really being a dink), how fast he gets behind and can't seem to catch up, and I can't count the times I've told him to chill out in forums and stop writing emails angry <_<

I also know that many people that choose to deal with him send their money, then wait without any prodding are treated very well(not saying that's ok, but there it is) and seen him return money when pushed too hard and tell that person to go F themselves.

Sigh..........

I've also learned that this is why artists and companies of any kind have marketing departments, customer service representatives and spokespeople: makers tend to be extremely cranky. I should know, I am. I just have a bit more control and some hesitance about starting a conflict.

I also know that when you play it nice, two out of five times people will start taking advantage in business. People tell you what they feel like paying and call you a crook because you won't negotiate. I can't count the times when Matt told me about some guy riding his case about upgrading materials, pushing forward the deadline, and generally being a jerk and refusing to pay another cent for the trouble. Many of those he provided and never took their business again, some he knew he would always have to deal with to stay afloat.

I learned a lot from him, more than I imagine most makers would waste on a rookie, and I owe him debts greater than money. The goal has always been a decent job, good health, and a happy home life. I've seen all three take an epic beating over the last 10 years I've known him, I've seen him soldier on, I've seen him quit time after time because he thought, just for a moment, that he was set and could walk away, then someone crappy happened and it was his only fallback. It may seem a joke to most that he keeps coming back, but I wasn't laughing.

I'll ask about the delayed suits, as I try to keep his biz moving and customers happy. I've played go-between more times than I care to recall :P

But for the record, as the TE2 molds are the same ones he used before TE2 became XXXX, I can't see where a difference would occur. But that's me B)

What guy was being a dink? Are you talking about me? Well name calling seems to go hand in hand with Matty and his friends then doesn't it? I was wondering who would be the first of Matt's friends to actually call me a name on the forum, thanks for being first. I love how if you don't push Matt he will treat you well, how many years have you been waiting for armor XXXX? And how many years was the other guy, what was it two years? Feeling pushy yet? Don't worry you will be treated great....later.

Look the point of this was to show Matt in his own words dealing with someone who actually wanted the product he had paid for, its not a "dig on Matt forum", he's a great guy in person and someone I would like to hang out with, but since I'm a dink I guess its out of the question. Matt needs to understand that when people part with a large amount of money they may actually want what they paid for and then when it goes south there WILL be bad feelings, not just on his side for the unfourtunate issue of having to deal with "dink" customers, rememeber all I ever did was give him 1200 and then had the audacity to actually want what I paid for. Delivery issues devolve into he said , he said, issues to fast, but there at least two people on this forum who have been waiting patiently and non-dinkish for over a year, for work from Matt, so IT IS AN ISSUE. And I am convinced if I had not been a "dink" in requesting my product I also would be waiting still.

And that is the end of my contributions to this discussion since it is starting to get personal toward Matt and myself I am out of here. Matt has tried to make good and has personally apologized for the e-mails he and I are on as good of terms as we are going to be, he is great at what he does he just needs to work on the delivery part. For the record the armor I recieved from him is TOP NOTCH stuff, the helmets were iffy but he claims he was rushed on them so fine, all issues aside his work is great and he is a great guy most of the time, I have no personal issues with him beyond the buisness issues at hand. Since we are devolving to name calling I think we should go ahead and close this one down.

Joey

Its good that you defend Matt, but its entirely reasonable for people to complain if theyve had crappy service (or in some cases no service). There's another guy in this thread whose been waiting almost two years - is he a "dink" too?

You and I both know that this same story has been going on for years and years now. Even if we ignore the multiple "retirements", its not unreasonale for people to expect delivery on stuff they've paid for.

Matt needs to find a way to deliver on stuff within a "reasonable" timescale (say 3 months) . Doing that would be good for his customers, good for him and good for the hobby. Everyone wins.

Cheers

Jez

Well every transaction i have had with Matt is a different experiance.

If someone can ask him where my 2 jedi lids are then great.

For the first 8-9 months of this latest / last armour project Matt would IM or email me on a daily basis. Sometimes we would chat about everything apart from armour. Great. Then after i make a payment all communication stops.

And guess what, no helmets!!! I am lucky if i get a responce and to honest i have almost given up. Maybe i will receive what i paid for, maybe i wont...

Sometimes he will deliver very soon after i have sent a peyment and one time i had to wait over 7 months. I guess thats just how it is with him. Pot luck, pure and simple.

Whenever anyone has asked me about what is it like to deal with TE i always tell them you can wait next to no time for an order or maybe it will be a long wait. And that is all you can do at the end, advise buyer beware.

Jason, I have no idea about your transaction. None. So I have no opinion about it. I refer to some annoying man who flew in from the far side of the country and threw quite a bit of weight around that he did not have, and that doesn't sound like you.

Yep, jez, people have every right to complain, and I rationalize nothing about Matt's reaction, just try to explain it while taking the lumps that come with association. And as the man waiting two years is still having dialog that hasn't given way to officious demands, no he isn't a dink :D He also needed to wait until a new set of molds was available, so that one I'd write up as a long haul deal, unfortunately; but that will end favorably.

Just don't assume that Matt's flighty timetable excuses rude customers, which we ALL have from time to time, they deserve every bit the same critique. There is no excuse for being a jerk, from either side.

J

For the record the armor I recieved from him is TOP NOTCH stuff, the helmets were iffy but he claims he was rushed on them so fine, all issues aside his work is great and he is a great guy most of the time, I have no personal issues with him beyond the buisness issues at hand. Since we are devolving to name calling I think we should go ahead and close this one down.

Jason, you started this thread as a service to all. Thank you.

If you are satisfied with your intended results, personal digs at TE notwithstanding, I shall deem this thread closed.

So let it be written, let it be done.