Kevster's ATA build[*ATA]

Howdy all, just got my ATA armor a few days ago. This will be my first ever build of any type. I'm really jumping the gun here I know, but i always think, if I'm going to do something then I'm going to do it right so FX just wouldn't do it for me. I'll be getting into it big time today and really working hard to get this armor ready, so pics will be coming soon! and of course any suggestions are gladly taken. B)

post-10730-1256073427_thumb.jpg

and i apologize for the quality of the pictures, they are coming off my phone, but ya its a pretty nice set, very few bubbles in the armor but they are pretty much all minute and most likely will be covered up by the paint it is so small.

Go slow, and trim conservatly! Better to have a little too much than be SOL with too little. I am working on my first build, realize you will make little mistakes...and it won't be the end of the world! ^_^ There are a few completed ATA builds on here already, I know Christaan's and Gos' really helped alot!

Ā 

Good luck, and those pulls are certainly sharp for sure.

Ok, was wondering about this cut on the helmet, after looking around, it seems that i need to trim it to the red line, but if i do, then the brow will be covering part of the decal section, so is it suppose to do that or do i need to leave it at the green line?

helmetcut.jpg

Kevin, my advice, and you'll hear it a million times is to take your time, go slow. I'd trim your lid a little below the red line, test it out with the brow trim, see how it looks, and if your not happy take a tiny bit more off. rinse and repeate. Remember there's a few different stunt looks, so find what works for you, and do what you feel is right. We're all here for ya, and will offer any suggestions we can, but your own taste will dictate how your armor comes out. Good luck on your build, and if you need any advice, we're all right here :)

and I appreciate it all. I was just getting worried that i was doing something wrong because from just a quick test fit of the face mask and the back of the helmet, plastic was coming down just about the top of the eyes but when i placed the brow on to see how much it would cover, i realized that if i trimmed it to the red line then it would be covering some of the decal. Then when i went to look at other pics, I wasn't sure if the brow was covering the decals or stops just below because it looked like it could be either way, so i was having a conundrum lol.

Here's one for ya'll, basically all trimmed and sanded in just 2 days. Thanks to my friend and his dads shop, a drum sander attached to a drill press works wonders! lol. Just have to do a little bit more final hand sanding to make it smooth, and the forearms should have no returns correct?

DSC00315.jpg

Looking good :) the butt plate needs to be trimmed a little more.

Ā 

Ya, i decided to do that by hand so I got just a rough sanding on it, I wanted to make sure I got the angles right on that part and the cod piece. Speaking of which, i can't seem to find that pic of all the angles on the butt plate, it was something like " common mistakes made" on some reference sight someone linked.

Kevin,

Looking good, so far. Just take it slow and trim a little , then double check and then trim a little more. With my build, once I had the seems the right width and then assembled I then trimmed the openings for comfort and better fit. Hope that makes sense. Keep on going!

Ok, well I think the butt plate is done, what do ya'll think?

Ā 

buttplate.jpg

Ā 

but I think I took way too much off the bicep, it has no return at all because i figured that how it was since it was junky plastic down to the very edge, so if i did leave any return, it would of been pretty bad looking. Or would paint of covered that up? :unsure:

Ā 

bicep.jpg

That is how my left side bicep ended up, but I assembled my armor and then made those adjustments. Basically, I made sure it fit and then trimmed to comfort after assembly. It will really vary from left to right and is also dependant on your muscle build. Remember you can always trim more later. I used Lexan scissors and then used a fine grit drum head, with my dremmel. Your right side should end up with some return edge, but it will depend on your frame. I think the butt plate is right.

Kev-- I got the exact same results with my left bicep. There's no return in the mould, so no return in the part.

I'm gonna use a modeling iron to make my own... or at least try. :)

Ā 

Your butt looks good. :duim:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

wait a second... that didn't come out right... :D

Kev-- I got the exact same results with my left bicep. There's no return in the mould, so no return in the part.

I'm gonna use a modeling iron to make my own... or at least try. :)

Ā 

Your butt looks good. :duim:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

wait a second... that didn't come out right... :D

Ā 

Too late! I am taking that compliment and keeping it! but ya, here's my other bicep, with a little present in the background that i just got today in the mail B)

bicep2.jpg

also, unless you have rather thin biceps, the left piece is a little snug. Also don't forget that the upper bicep is under your shoulder bell, so it's not very visible at all. A return edge on the upper bicep might do nothing more than add to the 'armor kisses' you get when trooping. Butt plate looks great!!