Thanks to all the International Members!

dougefresh

Ok, this is totally out of left field, but I was noticing this and had to mention it...

I just can't get over how many members on this board from Scandinavia, Europe and South America-- who presumably don't speak English as a first language -- WRITE in English absolutely beautifully.

You guys blow my mind.

Being able to converse verbally is one thing, but writing in a different language is NOT easy.... certainly not for me, anyway.

It shames me to no end that I only know like six phrases in German, two in Spanish, and one in French, and they're ALL DIRTY.

(And I probably say them wrong.) :(

Sadly, I usually take it for granted that we're all able to chat so freely-- but that's only because you guys are so friggin' good, I often forget that we don't all live in the same place.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention, at least once, how impressed I am by the efforts you troopers outside America, Canada and the UK put forth to communicate with those of us who speak English as natives.

I just think it's awesome.

Thanks, guys!

Well, thanks! I have no problem whatsoever to accept this honor on behalf of all the other guys! :D:lol:

Just kidding... :wink: It's not that difficult though... I started with English in 4th grade (and was pretty fluent thanks to cable TV... ), then I had 2 years learning German in school. Not fluent in german though!

My youngest brother, however, could choose between German, French, Spanish and Russian! What can you say, the worls certainly evolves.

Doug

Good call mate, :duim:

I've been speaking the bloddy language for over 40 odd years and I STILL have problems writing it :D

Well done guys and thank you, this place wouldn't be the same witout yous :salute:

Well...thanks!

We had English in school since 5th grade.

And then I studied English for 5 years, so that helped. And on English speaking boards like these...well, you gotta learn to write as well as speak, right?

But I guess the best strategy for really learning a language is watch all DVDs in English. The dialogue and voice acting is better anyways, we always get some kinda crappy dubbed versions here in Germany where they get all the voices wrong.

@dougefresh:

I wanna know your 6 dirty German phrases, man. :D

• 7 months later...

@dougefresh:

I wanna know your 6 dirty German phrases, man. :D

I've got some ...

Gebrauchter Putzlappen

Staubsaugerbeutel

Sandtrooper

:lol::P

Thanks! It's nice to hear that our efforts are appreciated! I am an English teacher in primary school, but sometimes when I meet people with English as their mother tongue I get embarassed to tell them what I do for a living because I think I'm not good enough. So this was nice to hear! :D

The problem for me when I talk to English/American/etc. people, is that I try to speak as fast as they do. And that's when my tongue starts twisting. Blah. It's so much easier to talk to the kids at work, they need it slow. ;)