Mesh for Lenses

FIVE

I know it's not accurate, and certainly not worthy of MEPD deployment, but has anyone thought of using green "mesh" for their lenses? Since the lenses come out so easily (at least on my buckets) I thought of doing this as an option for extremely hot mid-summer troops.

Pros...

1. They would never fog up...
  2. They would allow massive ventilation...
  3. They would still look good to the average Joe...

Cons...

1. They aren't canon...
  2. They aren't accurate...
  3. They aren't lenses... (haha)

I know they use them on -----

Anyway... just a thought. If anyone has tried it post pics and experience. Or, even if you haven't tried it, what do you think? B)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Funny you bring this up, I was just wondering the same thing. I'm planning on using mesh for lenses on Halloween Night when I go trick or treating with my little cousins. More so for visibility than an anti-fog measure. If I ever went to a con in armor I'd probably use them, too.

I bet you could get away with mesh lenses at really informal troops, or like a parade where there is distance between you and the people. But something high profile I bet it would be frowned upon, like a Lucasfilm event

Another Con... Flash photograph, your eyes would probably show!

We've thought about doing mesh for the St. Patrick's day parade here in the Mountain Garrison. We don't thing that the spectators (hopefully) from twenty feet away along the route will be able to tell.

This came up not long ago during a discussion of said parade. Many troopers had issues w/ fogging lenses, and subsequently tripping over kidses who'd strayed onto the route. Situations like a parade would probably be the only time we'd ever be able to get away with it anyway, but well worth it.

No fogging to worry about + no trippy trippy = win-win!

Funny you bring this up, I was just wondering the same thing. I'm planning on using mesh for lenses on Halloween Night when I go trick or treating with my little cousins. More so for visibility than an anti-fog measure. If I ever went to a con in armor I'd probably use them, too.

I bet you could get away with mesh lenses at really informal troops, or like a parade where there is distance between you and the people. But something high profile I bet it would be frowned upon, like a Lucasfilm event

Another Con... Flash photograph, your eyes would probably show!

I don't think flash photography would be too much of a problem...

At the very MINIMUM, my question is... 501st acceptible? If not, you could always have a way to swap out lens easily, or another helmet.

At the very MINIMUM, my question is... 501st acceptible? If not, you could always have a way to swap out lens easily, or another helmet.

Yeah, that's what I'm sayin'. Make it so they're easy in easy out then you have the option.

Honestly I think if you got the right material no one would notice even "up close."

I mean how many people have been talking to you for 10 to 15 minutes before they say, "Hey... your eyes are green." It's like people don't really LOOK at us anyway... they just "see" us. B)

• 1 month later...
No said:
I know it's not accurate, and certainly not worthy of MEPD deployment, but has anyone thought of using green "mesh" for their lenses? Since the lenses come out so easily (at least on my buckets) I thought of doing this as an option for extremely hot mid-summer troops.

Pros...

1. They would never fog up...
  2. They would allow massive ventilation...
  3. They would still look good to the average Joe...

Cons...

1. They aren't canon...
  2. They aren't accurate...
  3. They aren't lenses... (haha)

I know they use them on -----

Anyway... just a thought. If anyone has tried it post pics and experience. Or, even if you haven't tried it, what do you think? B)

I use mesh and I love it although when pics are taken with a flash you can see se your eyes realy good, looks very wierd but other than that I can see great!!!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

I use mesh and I love it although when pics are taken with a flash you can see se your eyes realy good, looks very wierd but other than that I can see great!!!

Have you got any pictures? Wearing and not wearing the helmet would be great.

i put small 1/8" spacers between lenses and inside of eyes and left gaps for air flow and they dont fog up at all and from the outside you cant even see the gap

Good idea!

I know they use them on Vader and the Royal Guards at Disney

Not accurate. The Darth Vader lenses are plastic that have a 1/4" air gap under the lens to keep them from fogging. There is a layer of mesh in the section below the eye lenses. See photo.

Brian

Yeah, my TE2 bucket has a "natural" gap because it's a strip of green that's laid in across the eyes rather than shaped pieces that are glued up against the bucket... so that helps a lot to begin with. But the wipes are still my new personal arsenal against fog!