Century Arms Semi-auto Sterling

georgh

While it would be very cool to have and use, most places would not allow it to be used for trooping. It would have to be made to where it could not chamber or fire live rounds. Even in our little gun friendly town, I've seen years that our annual parade has reduced our cowboys to carrying cap guns.

I certainly wouldn't use it for trooping, I could just "update" an off the shelf toy to accompany my costume- if and when (probably when) I decide to join the Legion, that is.

I would however like to have something that would be truly unique, you know? The ultimate nerd's gun, I guess you could say.

I certainly wouldn't use it for trooping, I could just "update" an off the shelf toy to accompany my costume- if and when (probably when) I decide to join the Legion, that is.

I would however like to have something that would be truly unique, you know? The ultimate nerd's gun, I guess you could say.

Absolutely! and the price looks to be less than $500 which is great! The more I think about it, you could do the mods and when you need to troop with it, replace the barrel with a solid wood barrel and you are golden.

If I'm not mistaken, the E-11s used in ANH were working Sterling SMGs, and they fired blanks (hence the muzzle flash) during the combat scenes.

But yeah, these are the problems I already forsee:

T-tracks: Where could I get some that are made of steel or aluminum that I can affix to the barrel shroud? All i've seen are plastic ones.

Hengstler counter: Not so much as a procurement issue (I can always find a way to snag one), but i'm more worried about the method of attaching it. Wouldn't glue melt off if the receiver got hot? I can see a method involving a hole being dirlled and tapped into the side, the counter affixed and held into place by a screw that is covered in Loctite and then ground down flush with the receiver, welded and finish dressed.

Everything else.. I could probably handle by myself or could pass off to a qualified gunsmith, such as affixing a proper scope base and the like.

Absolutly!!! that would cool but it would be a Home static Dispaly " to see only" or at least that what i would do if i ever was able to get a real one. "Display Only" Never Troop with!!!

I would even go as far as making the cast not to be able to open easily.

My opinion is if u have the cash to get a really one and modifiy it, and u live in a country & city that permits u to have real weapons why not.

my only true concer would be the modified clip ( any thing that would have to be modified to get a E-11 looking blaster would be messing around with the clip so that would make the gun not safe for the user. u could always get a real clips to shoot and a a modified short clip for display.

The magazines wouldn't be a problem. In fact...

• 4 months later...

i make my t-tracks form aluminum. if your interested i can show pics on how to make them. all you need is a vise,sawzall and piece of aluminum trim

But yeah, these are the problems I already forsee:

T-tracks: Where could I get some that are made of steel or aluminum that I can affix to the barrel shroud? All i've seen are plastic ones.

Hengstler counter: Not so much as a procurement issue (I can always find a way to snag one), but i'm more worried about the method of attaching it. Wouldn't glue melt off if the receiver got hot? I can see a method involving a hole being dirlled and tapped into the side, the counter affixed and held into place by a screw that is covered in Loctite and then ground down flush with the receiver, welded and finish dressed.

Everything else.. I could probably handle by myself or could pass off to a qualified gunsmith, such as affixing a proper scope base and the like.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys...

First post here, but this something I actually know about.

The Wise Lite Carbine is a copy of the Sterling Mk VI. It's similar in most ways to teh Mk IV's used for teh E-11's in ANH, but it has a couple differences (besides being semi-automatic only).

1) It does have a bayonet lug.

2) (and this is the big one), the muzzle cap is cimpletely different. In a Mk IV sterling, teh barrel is secured tot eh muzzle cap with two screws, that screw into a trunion on the front of the barrel (behind the cap). In addition, the Mk IV has a distinctive boss on the front for use in mounting the bayonet. The Mk VI (and the Wise Lite variant) doesn't have the boss on the front, and it has a wider opening for the larger 16" barrel. It has a large barrel nut which is used to secure the barrel in place.

Even if you SBR'd the gun (got all the paperwork, etc.)you would have to make significantt modification to the muzzle to get it close to accurate in appearance.

You COULD of course, simply remove the barrel, and modify teh weapon using "greeblie" attachments to get it to the correct appearance. This would likely make the weapon unusable as an actual firearm, but it WOULD make an outstandng base for a blaster. If you intended to use it in public, you'd probably want to ensure that it was obvious form a cursory inspection that it was no longer a real firearm (fake barrel tube or something.)

But beleive me... I've considered this approach. :)

On 5/10/2010 at 9:50 AM, Sgt Steve said:

Ahhhh, could you re-post the link please?

If you were asking me... I'll try to post a good pic. Mine, sadly, is packed away atm, but I can probably dig it out in a week or so if this pic isn;t good enough to get a good look:

Here's what it looks like assembled:

--------

See the big barrel nut?

Here's what the front of the receiver looks like without the nut in place (look at the last picture on the right in the top row):

---------

You can see it would need a nose cap in place to look right. But once it had that, it would be VERY spiff. Well, it also need the bayonet lug, but you can fake that pretty easily.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

On 5/10/2010 at 10:10 AM, Strongbow said:

If you were asking me... I'll try to post a good pic. Mine, sadly, is packed away atm, but I can probably dig it out in a week or so if this pic isn;t good enough to get a good look:

----------

You can see it would need a nose cap in place to look right. But once it had that, it would be VERY spiff. Well, it also need the bayonet lug, but you can fake that pretty easily.

Okay, I DREAMT about this last night. And I've rethought this... I think this COULD be converted to form suitable for use as a blaster without permanently destroying it as a firearm. The muzzle cap as currently installed is essentially the MkIV muzzle cap without the top 2 layers and with a larger hole. All that would need to be done is to create a false plate (even a resin muzzle cap would do if you don't intend to fire it in this configuration), and attach to the front using the two Allen screw holes that are already there. You just need an appropriately sized backing plate (with nuts attached.. spot welded, or even JB welded) and appropriate knurl-headed Allen screws. Conversion from real gun to blaster would be a matter of removing the barrel, attaching the phony muzzle cap and it'll look like Mk IV Sterling.

I have the plans necessary to make this (I'm a bit of sterling nut, even Star Wars associations aside), but the metal for these thing is THICK. Does anyone know where I can get a resin muzzle cap? I have a sterling parts kit int eh garage that I intended to turn into blaster some day, maybe I can figure out how to pull a cast from it.

just put the tip from the parts kit onto the semi- and you're good to go!

too bad about the bayonet lug though,

and the trigger guard would look a lot better from the MK IV.

you could probably swap out the trigger guard from your parts kit as well.

just put the tip from the parts kit onto the semi- and you're good to go!

too bad about the bayonet lug though,

and the trigger guard would look a lot better from the MK IV.

you could probably swap out the trigger guard from your parts kit as well.

Hmmm... my Mk VI and Mk IV guard looks the same as best as I can tell. According to Wise Lite, they reuse as many original parts as possible. I dunno, maybe I just don't have a calibrated eyeball.

The bayonet lug from the parts kit should work. I need to whip out my torch and "de-braze" it. I should be able to spot weld in place, or even use JB weld, as I never intend to mount a bayonet.

The muzzle cap is another problem. It would work if I can remove the top two layers.... I can't tell if they are just screwed together, or maybe brazed. I may hit it with the torch and see. Or I may just get a resin kit and see how that works.

Okay, I DREAMT about this last night. And I've rethought this... I think this COULD be converted to form suitable for use as a blaster without permanently destroying it as a firearm. The muzzle cap as currently installed is essentially the MkIV muzzle cap without the top 2 layers and with a larger hole. All that would need to be done is to create a false plate (even a resin muzzle cap would do if you don't intend to fire it in this configuration), and attach to the front using the two Allen screw holes that are already there. You just need an appropriately sized backing plate (with nuts attached.. spot welded, or even JB welded) and appropriate knurl-headed Allen screws. Conversion from real gun to blaster would be a matter of removing the barrel, attaching the phony muzzle cap and it'll look like Mk IV Sterling.

I have the plans necessary to make this (I'm a bit of sterling nut, even Star Wars associations aside), but the metal for these thing is THICK. Does anyone know where I can get a resin muzzle cap? I have a sterling parts kit int eh garage that I intended to turn into blaster some day, maybe I can figure out how to pull a cast from it.

Michael,

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! Since IMA is out of Dummy Sterlings. This is more affortable. I just want a prop replica. I can pick up a parts kit trigger, grip, back and front end and it should be it. I was a gun show recently and was asking about converting the semi. This is much easier!

Michael,

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! Since IMA is out of Dummy Sterlings. This is more affortable. I just want a prop replica. I can pick up a parts kit trigger, grip, back and front end and it should be it. I was a gun show recently and was asking about converting the semi. This is much easier!

Be sure to update us on your progress! I intend to do the functional carbine "conversion" (Can't wait to see the looks I get on the range firing it, though it will have the long barrel), and I also intend to build a prop-only unit out of the parts kit I own.

FYI, I recently emailed IMA and they said they will likely do another run of dummy Sterlings in the future... no time frame though.

Edited by Strongbow

Be sure to update us on your progress! I intend to do the functional carbine "conversion" (Can't wait to see the looks I get on the range firing it, though it will have the long barrel), and I also intend to build a prop-only unit out of the parts kit I own.

FYI, I recently emailed IMA and they said they will likely do another run of dummy Sterlings in the future... no time frame though.

Michael,

I will update my progress. I too emailed IMA about the Dummy Sterlings. The last one went for $700.00 in February!

I asked them if they could order a deactivated Sterling and make sure it is BTAF approved. The told me NO!

I also asked them if they could make a Dummy Sterling out of the parts kit that they sell. They said they will be offering

Dummy Sterlings in the future. But, they will not be like the ones they had. Whatever that means.

At the local gun show here in Pgh, a dealer was asking $450.00 for the long barrel. I was debating it.

When I held the gun, I expected it to be heaver.

Andy

OK, I got my Sterling Carbine out of storage and there's some good news and bad news.

The good news is that it should quite simple to construct a muzzle cap that closely resembles the original Mk IV cap. The cap from the parts kit CANOT be used due to the way it's constructed and mounted. You have to either use a resin cast, or make one from scratch.

The bad news is that the rear barrel trunion is much bigger than on the Mk IV and blocks the rearmost barrel shroud vents. It looks like you can drill holes into the to get the T-track in, but I'm not sure I want to bother. I think I may just concentrate on trying to build a blaster on a tube with teh parts kit pieces. Unless that goes very wrong, I won't try modding the actual firearm.

OK, I got my Sterling Carbine out of storage and there's some good news and bad news.

The good news is that it should quite simple to construct a muzzle cap that closely resembles the original Mk IV cap. The cap from the parts kit CANOT be used due to the way it's constructed and mounted. You have to either use a resin cast, or make one from scratch.

The bad news is that the rear barrel trunion is much bigger than on the Mk IV and blocks the rearmost barrel shroud vents. It looks like you can drill holes into the to get the T-track in, but I'm not sure I want to bother. I think I may just concentrate on trying to build a blaster on a tube with teh parts kit pieces. Unless that goes very wrong, I won't try modding the actual firearm.

Michael,

I am proably going to order a parts kit and a defect sterling from the place you mentioned. I want mine to be a Dummy non firing model. Will the original front and end cap fit?

Andy

Michael,

I am proably going to order a parts kit and a defect sterling from the place you mentioned. I want mine to be a Dummy non firing model. Will the original front and end cap fit?

Andy

Do you mean the Wise Lite factory seconds? If so, be aware you'll still need to drill out the rear vents. And no, you can't use the parts kit muzzle cap.... you'll still have to construct something for the front (though that should be fairly easy). My reluctance to using a "second" is that you don't know what you're getting. If the stock, or sights, or grip are seriously misaligned, you might have quite a bit of work to do. But for $125 it might be worth the risk.

I've decied to go the kit on a tube route. In the next week or so, I'll get started. I'll take pictures. :)