The Hero Essay

Nassik

As I start this thread I do so in the knowledge that the contest was canceled and its thread locked. I'm posting this for the simple reason that I invested both the time and thought necessary to write it and therefor I am posting it.

I don't seek recognition or reward for my efforts. Instead, I offer up my writing to inspire thought and discussion, if nothing else.

I understand the dangers of plagiarism and I recognize it for the threat that it is. In 2002 I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English so I think it fair to say that I understand the intricacies and implications of writing with some small degree of familiarity. The fear of plagiarism and the skeptical suspicion of it rearing its ugly head has both saddened and, to a small degree, offended me. I hope that this essay will be taken precisely for what it is... one person's honest thoughts on the subject of the hero.

What is a hero? A hero is an individual both simple and complex. A generally accepted definition is that a hero is a person noted and recognized for the bravery of their actions in times and situations where the heroic person is in danger while attempting to aid others. The criteria for becoming a hero are as varied as heroes themselves and that is why these people can be both simple and complex. The neighbor who rescues a kitten from a tree can be viewed as a hero just as Superman is thought of as a hero when he stops an airplane from crashing into the ground. These actions, whether real or imagined, appeal to the benevolent side of humanity and they form the cornerstone of a society that strives to work together for the benefit of everyone. The hero is an intellectual necessity that inspires the individual, who serves as an example for him, and who can be found in the common man.

The hero is an intellectual necessity that inspires the individual. In order for society to progress and advance it requires people to strive for their own betterment. And in doing so, they improve the circumstances of themselves and of the people that surround them. The cycle of self-improvement is sparked by the examples set forth by heroes and this is necessary for the continued evolution of society. Without inspiration people become complacent and stagnant, standing still as the world around them grows and changes. Individuals need the inspiration that heroes provoke and in inspiring people our heroes also become our examples.

The hero serves as an example for the individual. When people find their heroes they begin to strive to better themselves in the hope that they, too, may be seen as heroic. Although this desire may be subjugated to the hopes for more tangible and personal gains. People imagine the person or character that they wish to be and as people work towards their goals they envision an example of who they want to be and where they want to go. Heroes serve as these examples. A hero may be a woman who put herself through college and then became the head of a large corporation. Or a hero may be a fireman who carried children from the raging inferno of a burning school. People often find heroes in their chosen career paths and these heroes give people direction as they strive to better themselves. Not all heroes parade about in spandex and flowing capes… sometimes they can be found in the most ordinary of places.

The hero can be found in the common man. When asked to imagine a hero it is easy to envision a mighty warrior covered in the blood of his enemies, women and children cowering behind him in utter terror as he holds the forces of darkness and destruction at bay. Or to think of Spider-Man swinging through the streets of New York, his spider-sense tingling as he swoops down to stop a car from crashing through a storefront window as the Sandman beats a hasty escape. But there are other heroes that are far less noticeable and far more common in the world that surrounds us. There are doctors that are saving lives every day. There are teachers passing on knowledge to our children, entrusting our future to the care of a future generation. And there are cashiers at the supermarket who remind us that everyone plays a role in society, that everyone makes a contribution to the betterment of us all, and that everyone who takes responsibility for themselves serves as an example to others. And that, in its own right, is heroic.

The hero is an intellectual necessity that inspires the individual, who serves as an example for him, and who can be found in the common man. Society is built upon the foundations laid by the tales of heroes and their exploits have inspired generations of people to better themselves. From the great adventures of Hercules as he destroyed the Stymphalian birds, through the tale of Noah as he worked to create his ark before the coming of the flood, to the sacrifices of soldiers fighting in WW II. Our heroes span the ages of human existence and at every turning of the pages of history heroes serve as guides to the future unfolding of the human story. Heroes also serve as the key that unlocks our imagination. And if heroes guide us, then it is our imagination that steers the course that they follow. It is our hopes and our dreams that pave the road to the future and our heroes are the markers that lead us down that path.

Shawn Hisey

September 20, 2009

Man... I love it. There were two other great entry's as well.

It made me upset to have to close it, but naysayers were taking the tread to an unneeded level.

If they stay away, and all understand this is a fun project, one that was intended to build esprit de corps, I would love to keep it going. Its just not up for debate to me. Kinda comes back to if you don't have anything positive to add don't add it.

Bro. You have at least earned a cool engraved plaque. I thank you for your time and your effort. Ill be sending a PM to admin and see what I can work out.

Nate

As I watch this thread drop lower and lower on the board and days stretch into tomorrow, I can not help but assume that no one else feels compelled to submit an essay of their own.

Admittedly, the contest was canceled and so many possible entrants may have lost their inspiration to write. But do we really need a reward or simply the possibility of one in order to coax us to write? I certainly hope not. If that is the case then that's a sad commentary on the human condition.

The original contest was set to end on September 27, 2009. That leaves two days for any additional essays to be posted. There won't be any prizes for any other essays submitted other than the appreciation of those who read them. I hope that is all the reward necessary in order to inspire you to share your thoughts with us.

Well done good sir. As I read your essay I considered submitting one of my own, but after I have finished, I'm not so sure now. You covered the central idea of a hero quite well. I've always had a more negative view of a hero. Not that they are bad, but more from the hero's point of view. Unwilling, exaggerated, and sometimes not even a hero at all, just mistaken for one. I feel if I even brought myself out of a stupor to write such an essay, It would not fit the criteria of this contest (although I never saw the original thread), and it would certainly be an unwelcome comparison to the pleasantly idealistic masterwork above.

The rule of the contest was very open... write about the concept of the hero in 500-1,000 words.

The idea is completely open to interpretation. Your idea sounds original and I think it would be a good read. What I wrote is a cookie-cutter type interpretation of the hero, lauding the benefits and positives of the idea. That is not to say that my interpretation is the only one or the only point of view on the subject.

I welcome your perspective and I would like to read your thoughts. This has always been an appealing aspect of writing for me, and one of the reasons that I studied English in school... there are no wrong answers in writing as long as you support your thoughts with explanation. That's a powerful thing. Math is right or wrong but not writing. The written word is pure self-expression and as such, it is difficult to label any writing as "wrong" if it is supported by reasoning and explanation.

So write on, my friend. I will gladly read anything you post.

so, the plenty of time thing didn't go the way i planned. i forgot i had to go with my girlfriend to a car show today. after being dragged around and being bored out of my mind for the the most part of 5 hours, I had no energy or motivation to sit down and type up an essay. I'd like to say that I'd be able to try again tomorrow, but no promises. That woman wore me out today, and none of it in the good way....so i'll probably be relaxing stubbornly tomorrow.