Kneecap assistance

Hi all, I'm working on my ATA build, I need some assistance with the knee cap. I think I'm being too squemish, and not trimming enough off the shin to align the knee cap, and I was wondering if anyone could throw up a couple side and inner shots of their knee so I can get an idea of where it should be lining up on the inside. Thanks for the help.

ok, hard to hold together, and get a good shot, but hopefully you can see what I mean

Ā 

IWGFXv5.jpg

Ā 

VHQu6JL.jpg

Ā 

XNaIHpH.jpg

Ā 

I just need to see what someone else's knee looks like from the inside, so I can see how much I should be taking off the shin under the kneecap.

I was able to hold it at a better angle, but by then my daughter wasn't able to take pics as she was in bed. I think I got the right idea now, I just gotta wait till payday Thurs to get my hobby iron to turn the edges so I don't have to quarter inch excess hanging over everything, I should be good to go then. I think that's my problem right now, is the excess I left on to fold in.

You have that fear of making something too thin?

Ā 

yea, I guess I'm afraid of trimming too much, but I also looked on the inside, and there's a nice sharp seam on the inside where the mold ends and the piece starts, so that made it easier too, just had to look a little closer

You do realize you are missing the finishing strip, right? That strip will eventually go between the knee plate and the main part of the shin and push everything out a good 2-3mm.

yes, I could barely hold 3 things together, much less 4...lol. I think I'm also putting the horse in front of the cart with the knee, should just worry about getting the shin together first. knee second.

yes, I could barely hold 3 things together, much less 4...lol. I think I'm also putting the horse in front of the cart with the knee, should just worry about getting the shin together first. knee second.

Ā 

Yup. Put the shin together so it fits and then put the knee on. Worked that way for me on both sets I've put together so far. :)

ok, so for the shin, what do you guys recomend for width? I was going to do 1.5" but that looks too wide. so now I'm thinking 1" that sound about right for the front piece?

ok, so for the shin, what do you guys recomend for width? I was going to do 1.5" but that looks too wide. so now I'm thinking 1" that sound about right for the front piece?

Ā 

Honestly, it kinda depends. Some people make the front only as wide as the finishing strip (and the strip should be about 19-20mm). I made mine a little wider to accomodate my larger calves -- about 25mm at the bottom and 30mm at the top. The front of the calf join does a sort of an hourglass thing and tapers in the middle. But it means there's about 3-4mm of the raised section showing underneath the strip on each side. The great thing is that eventhough there is some of that raised section showing beneath the strip, in pictures you can hardly see it. ;)

any chance I can get you to take a close up pic? I'm alot better at replicating, than I am at going free-hand, if you catch my meaning.