How to I fix cracks in the armor?

Hi I have an older set of TE armor. I'm not sure what I am going to do with it. I bought this used. It has some cracks on the top of the ab plate and the person put rivets on the side of the ab plate. I'm not sure what strapping system this person tried, but they certainly weren't concerned about FISD approved.

I already put Devcon plastic weld on the back of the cracks to stop the crack and support to it. But what do you guys do about fixing the cracks on the front of the armor? I am also going to drill out the rivets and want to fill the rivet holes. When I am done I am planning on sanding and repainting this armor. I think I may be able to fix the front cracks and fill the holes with the plastic weld. My concern is how will the primer and paint react to the plastic weld.

This is not my primary set of armor, but I would like to fix it up. I eithier want fix it up so I have another set to troop with or sell it when it's fixed.

I wouldn't feel comfortable even giving it away in it's current condition. So I want to try and fix it regardless.

I did a search and suprisingly I could not find a thread about fix cracked armor.

Any help, suggestions and tips will be very much appreciated

Thanks, Dave

There are a couple solutions for styrene/HIPS armor.

1: Get a piece of thin styrene and plastic model glue from a hobby shop. cut a patch of the thin styrene and use the model glue to fuse it in place.

2. Use some model glue to fuse the crack and reinforce it with a a scrap of white cloth placed over the crack and soak in superglue (just so you know it may smoke but is not worrisome). It's a cheap way of making a fiberglass like support.

First off let me apologize about the gramtical error, It should say How DO I fix cracks in the armor.

Super Trooper, I already glued/plasic welded the back for to fix the crack. How ever you can still see the hair line crack in the front. What can I use in the on this hair line crack to cover it up and then paint over it. I'm afraid if I primer and paint over this crack that it will still show up. I was look to see if I can use the plastic weld or some sort of bond to put on the crack, sand it down and then apply primer paint. But I am worried that the paint may look different in that particular area due to the plastic weld.

May be the Thread should read, how do I cover up hair line cracks on the front side of the armor. Will primer and paint alone be able to do this?

Turn it into a sandtrooper :D

That is the same response I seen over the years when ever armor becomes yellow or gets beat up!

I have to beleive that there is some hope or way to bring old armor back to life with a new paint job. If I don't get any good suggestions on here (which I doubt because there is a boat load of knowledge on this board), then I may try a few different things to fix and if they don't work, then It may very well become a sand troooper.

Well let me ask you guys this, When priming and painting your armor, Has anyone ever come across having to paint an area with that had E6000 or plastic weld on it? Perhaps a seam or any area that had been exposed to the plastic weld How did that are look after it was painted? Did the paint in that area match to rest of the area?

I would get in contact with your Local Garrison, find out who your local Armor Guru is and ask him if he could take a look at it ( on his next time availablity) and reveiew with him the advice u recived here. Thats what i would do, if i was not confortable with some suggestion i would get. and take advantage that u can ask for person -person help, some of us dont have that option.

Thanks for all the feed back, It's not my primary set of armor, So I'm not afraid to experiment on it. But before I did I figure I would ask around first. I am going to try to apply the plastic weld very lightly to the crack in the front, then sand it down so it's smooth, I'll then prime and paint the enitre ab plate. Maybe I might discover something new to help any else out with this issue. If it doesn't work then I 'll just weather the armor to cover up this area and turn it into a sand trooper.

Thanks for all the feed back, It's not my primary set of armor, So I'm not afraid to experiment on it. But before I did I figure I would ask around first. I am going to try to apply the plastic weld very lightly to the crack in the front, then sand it down so it's smooth, I'll then prime and paint the enitre ab plate. Maybe I might discover something new to help any else out with this issue. If it doesn't work then I 'll just weather the armor to cover up this area and turn it into a sand trooper.

I apologize for my ignorance, but is this TE armor Styrene or ABS? Here's a trick that I have used on ABS armor. (not sure if styrene has the same properties.) Take some scrap ABS and whittle it with a razor knife to produce a small pile of plastic shavings. Next get yourself some 100% acetone. Place the shavings in a GLASS bowl and add just enough acetone to make a paste. The acetone will break down the ABS into a liquid form. Using a toothpick, "roll" the liquid ABS into the cracks and allow to cure. As the Acetone evaporates, (fairly quickly) the ABS will return to it's solid form once again. Then, you can sand, polish, and paint the repair as you see fit. (it actually sets up with a glossy finish.) It's an old model builder's trick that I've applied to costuming.

So I went to Local hobby shop near me to buy acetone. I explained to the guy why I was looking for acetone and he told me to use this quick cure epoxy. So I bought that and I'll try it out this weekend.

So I went to Local hobby shop near me to buy acetone. I explained to the guy why I was looking for acetone and he told me to use this quick cure epoxy. So I bought that and I'll try it out this weekend.

You can get acetone at any hardware store