FX helmet build questions[*FX]

Total newbie here but I'm starting my FX build and I was wondering about centering the dome.

I know that nothing is symmetrical so what's thought to be better -- aligning the front trapezoids in relation to the eyes or centering the rear trapezoids with the midline of the back? Or maybe somewhere in between.

Also, screen accuracy seems to be the hallmark but then I see a lot of tips that call for eliminating the ear gaps and even caulking them. Aren't the gaps more accurate than not?

And lastly, the FX manual suggests radiusing the brow trim around the ears to better hide the seam but looking around I see that almost no one does this. Any arguments one way or the other?

Thanks a bunch.

Total newbie here but I'm starting my FX build and I was wondering about centering the dome.

I know that nothing is symmetrical so what's thought to be better -- aligning the front trapezoids in relation to the eyes or centering the rear trapezoids with the midline of the back? Or maybe somewhere in between.

Also, screen accuracy seems to be the hallmark but then I see a lot of tips that call for eliminating the ear gaps and even caulking them. Aren't the gaps more accurate than not?

And lastly, the FX manual suggests radiusing the brow trim around the ears to better hide the seam but looking around I see that almost no one does this. Any arguments one way or the other?

Thanks a bunch.

The FX helmet should be symmetrical, if it isn't, you might have a recast of some sort. Concentrate on aligning the front first.

I've helped assemble an FX recast and it was indeed not shaped right, so we riveted the dome to the front first, aligning it with the trapezoids. Then we heated the dome (using a heat gun) a bit to shape it to fit with the back, and used rivets as well. We were able to hide the rivets with the brow, but the back ones show.

I have my brow extended around the ears, as it seems to look nicer.

I wouldn't worry about accuracy on an FX too much. If you want accuracy, you would have to replace everything including the helmet itself. (lenses, decals, hovi tips, trim, ...etc)

l_6da5081cb25cbbb6af2449d8269352ea.jpg

The second trooper from the right shows an example of the brow going around the ear.

Thanks for the pic.

It looks like that same trooper has two rivets/screws at the bottom of the ear -- someting I also thought I should do but something I've very seldom seen.

So many choices and so many worries about making the wrong one.

I've already got an FX so I don't need even more humiliation for weird build choices.

:lol:

The more armor you build, the better you get at it too!

If your good at painting and masking, paint the interior of your helmet black, it will make the lenses look darker, and when you take off your helmet, it looks more real.

i almost think building an fx helmet is a right of passage to joining the 501st - i am having so much "fun" doing mine :o

Have you figured out how to grow a 3rd arm? Cuz that helps a lot with the assembly. :)

Glad you're having fun, it's all worth it.

alright i am so glad someone put this here because I plan on buying an FX lid soon so i can begin

I am not so much looking for accuracy atm but i dont want to spend a shucks ton of money

when i am just a beginner so i will be checking here constantly