ANH TK Armor/ Helmet neuonce features

onedge30

Ok, I talked with Paul a while ago about all the small things that make the ANH armor distinct and have pieced together what I can see.

Again, I am looking at these items as if I was going to create my own unique set of armor. Having to create all these small things in the new set of armor. I may, and I may not, but it is a very interesting topic for me right now.

And I find myself trying to see so much more than I have ever looked for before. :blink:

Here is what I think I see: ( in kinda broad terms on some of the more noticeable features.)

1) shoulder bell swoops

2) sandtrooper abs plate, with separate TK plate over it

3) hand plate

4) bicep thumb print

5) upper calf edge, 'v' shaped

6) chest longer on sides

7) abs button colors

8) off white 'milk' color

9) gray teeth

10) 4 teeth holes on each side of smile

11) 2 major pc helmet ( cap and back together, then front)

Ok, help me out - what have I missed? Or what fine tuning do I need to think about.

Jeff

I am quietly starting my armor from scratch. I have a massed all the measurements and reference photos and now am starting on the original sculpts for the molds. The vac table is 50% finished.

The best reference I have found so far is the Marmit 1/6 scale figure. Very well done. And some of the size reference help has come from Rob, RT Mod.

Jeff

Hey, Paul.

I was noticing that the number of teeth seems to be very irregular.

I guess when I started asking all these questions it was Paul, Daetrin, from WA. LOL!

But now have come to hear that you are the man in the UK with all the good info. I am always dancing on the edge of just buying a full suit instead of the "Ordeal" of making my own. That is why I did request some further info from you, on your suit.

But, I am currently on the side of the fence that I really want to do all my own molds and sculpts. I think starting the helmet from scratch will be the last thing I work on. It will be the killer for time and accuracy.

You can expect it to take at least a year to get it all done. It took me about two years before I had a plastic suit to wear but I lost interest in the project a few times and many months would go by without doing any sculpting. I left the helmet while last too. It isn't as hard as you think to get the basic shape but the fine tuning will take forever :P The helmets are such a weird shape and not symetrical at all. The armour is basically body shapes with a few bits and bobs added and once you get the first set of moulds made you can easily do the hard work of getting them movie accurate. It isn't hard but it is very time consuming if you are going for accuracy but I can say it is well worth the effort and a great hobby :D

I am quietly starting my armor from scratch. I have a massed all the measurements and reference photos and now am starting on the original sculpts for the molds. The vac table is 50% finished.

The best reference I have found so far is the Marmit 1/6 scale figure. Very well done. And some of the size reference help has come from Rob, RT Mod.

Jeff

Thats cool taking on a task like that :duim::salute:

Hello all,

The Ultracal, plaster bandages, mass-o-clay, and alginate all show up this week for me to start on my body casting, sculpting, molding, and casting bucks for stromtrooper armor!!! Yea.

Now to see how long my good mood lasts and when the first pitfall occurs to derail me! LOL!!!

Trying to balance all the parts and pieces of this massive puzzle which is armor BIRTH!!! The vac table construction, now that I have about 85 % of the parts. The tank being the only part I really am still working on. Small other pieces that will just see what fits. All the freaking armor measurement I have taken and double checked and they are all DIFFERENT!!! LMAO!!! Damn my anal retentive nature!! I will make my best effort.

I am also working on my Imperial Officers Uniform ( black of course! ) - the sewing machine just gave out. Off to the repair first thing tomorrow. AND I was on such a ROLL!!!

Also, working on my Imperial Guard Costume. Have outer cap, working on inner. Working on Force Pike and getting a helmet. I may just sculpt my own helmet and trick it out. I here the Don Post are just to small!

Need to cast some resin parts to make a few E11 conversion blasters.

Oh, just a few things on my plate.

But as soon as the project begins - I will start posting pictures so that everyone can have a good laugh and make comments. Cool

Be afraid! Be very afraid....

Jeff

• 1 month later...
You can expect it to take at least a year to get it all done. It took me about two years before I had a plastic suit to wear but I lost interest in the project a few times and many months would go by without doing any sculpting. I left the helmet while last too. It isn't as hard as you think to get the basic shape but the fine tuning will take forever :P The helmets are such a weird shape and not symetrical at all. The armour is basically body shapes with a few bits and bobs added and once you get the first set of moulds made you can easily do the hard work of getting them movie accurate. It isn't hard but it is very time consuming if you are going for accuracy but I can say it is well worth the effort and a great hobby :D

the same thing is happening with my republic commando....

i have the helmet sculped and ready for casting as well as the shoulder bells but i lost interest in it so it is in my garage gathering dust.

I suppose I?ll take the project up again sometime but I have no idea when... i have no vac table and the idea of rigging one is beyond me.

We?ll see what happens in the future.

Now for all the trouble you?ll be getting yourself on doing your own armor you should meassure what you are spending on the entire thing... if you don?t plan on doing any more than your own i beleive it?ll be better for you to buy an already done armor ready to be used.

That?s my personal aproach on it.

Anyway... good luck on the project man!

Dargas.

• 2 months later...

Hi, im on the same road. So far i have the vac-form table up and running. I have some sheets of HIPS. One of the handplates is ready to vac form. The chestplate mold after 6 weeks is 98% ready to form.

heres some pics..

Hi Chef,

What are you using for the heating elements? Have you taken a pull of any of your moulds yet?

The reason I ask is that you need a very even heat source to cover the entire sheet of plastic otherwise you won't get very good results.

What vacuum source are you using too?

-Paul.

Hi Chef,

What are you using for the heating elements? Have you taken a pull of any of your moulds yet?

The reason I ask is that you need a very even heat source to cover the entire sheet of plastic otherwise you won't get very good results.

What vacuum source are you using too?

-Paul.

Hi paul,ive take one pull that was ok,but i tried to release it too quick and the hips got distorted on one section. This is still a learning curve. It was good to see, which meant that i needed to make some more changes to the mold,as in the sides needed extending down and some curves put in.

Last night dissaster. The 90% of the surface of the mold is ruined!! Because of the heating time it caused the car filler to seperate from the ar dry clay.....its taken about 6 and a half weeks to get the mold right. Believe me a grown man can cry.

I need to rethink this to avoid any more setbacks. Onwards and upwards.

In relation to your questions im using 4 wall heaters and two vacuums. Last night i lost some of the vacuum pressure which also didnt help.

I will post some pics of the pull and the damage when i get home mate.

ps I still think you are a legend mate.

your humble apprentice

chef

:rolleyes:

Here are the pictures...please dont laugh.

Picture 1 - Just before last vac form

Pic 2 - when dissaster struck!

pic 3 - Rough cut of vac pull-lack of suction meant edges not formed !

Cheers paul

chef

Tough luck mate. If I may add two cents, you said you used air dry clay. Bad stuff for making molds. You'd be better making a sculpt in plasticine clay, then making a negative casting in Plaster of Paris (cheap way which works if you are very careful), then creating a mother mold from the negative using a mixture of Bondo and fiberglass resin painted on, a second layer of Bondo, then filling the entire cavity with Plaster of Paris.

You can even skip the Bondo and resin parts to create an all Plaster of Paris mother mold, but it won't last more than a few pulls. Nice thing is, if you get some good woodcarving tools, you can "fine tune" your molds.

Keep at it, you'll get the hang of it. Best way to learn is talking to others and making mistakes.

Chef,

This is huge project so don't get discouraged. I'm sure I'm not alone, but I can't wait to see the finished product from all your hard work. There are plenty of folks on FISD that can help, so don't forget you can reach out for advise.

Thanks guys for the advise,ive just recieved the plaster,clay and some stuff recomended by troopermaster.

Ive started over the last week or so to rebuild the original mold,which i will cast from before vac forming.

Ive also checked over the pipework on my vac-from to make sure there are no air leaks.

have agood weekend all

cheers

chef

Thanks guys for the advise,ive just recieved the plaster,clay and some stuff recomended by troopermaster.

Ive started over the last week or so to rebuild the original mold,which i will cast from before vac forming.

Ive also checked over the pipework on my vac-from to make sure there are no air leaks.

have agood weekend all

cheers

chef

Hi guys ,,bit of an update.

Over the last couple of weeks ive been doing little bits of patching up of the chestmold.

Ive been advised to take a mother cast of this and make a male mold from that.

last week i ordered of a company in the uk called Alec Tiranti(brilliant service)

some items.....

Gelflex

Classic plaster. These are to make the casts/molds with.

Ive also ordered some grey clay. From now on i'm going to use this medium to work with.

anyway here's some boring updates pictures of progress(slow) soo far.

Off to a good start Chefhawk. Things will seem slow at first until you really get the hang of it. Then before you know it you'll only have a half dozen castings and pieces to make. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Great Job Chef!!!!!

I would take the mold catastrofy as a blessing, it let you get great info and contact info, that is priceless....

Remember your blaster is half Full not half empty :lol: