Wiring up my FX

Well, since no one else has posted in this forum yet, and I'm in the process of wiring up my bucket, I figured I'd start documenting how I'm doing it.

First off, here's a link to the full photoset, which will grow as I work on this.

Flickr link

This is a photo of it as everything is drying right now. I still need to apply heat to my heatshrink, but the conduit is mounted, and the speakers do work when hooked up to the TCI. Next is working on a way to pretty up the actual connection for the 1/8" plug, cause i used too much wire, and really don't wanna re solder it :P

I had a piece of plastic leftover so i mounted that on the side of the helmet with some velcro to attach the TCI interface too, will see how that works out trooping.

3235997972_c4ca6f54fe.jpg

Here's a closeup of the wires with heatshrink going into the conduit. I used some flex tubing from fry's that i got 7ft of for like, 3 bucks.

3235151751_1459c66d52.jpg

Here's the conduit, and you can see the splices on sticking out a smidgen on the left, it was getting to be a pain trying to solder those wires together without risking damage to the helmet, so I crimped them instead.

3235151989_b6deb91269.jpg

and here's some of the supplies used, and my TCI.

3235152919_15361798b1.jpg

more to come!

Michael, where did you get the heat shrink for the speaker wire?

Radio Shack, they had all kinds of it. Fry's has an even bigger selection if they have one in your area. Real cheap too. Pretty much all my general supplies will come from Fry's across the street from my office, or the RS near my apartment.

Keep it going. I will follow your lead.

Sorry I didn't keep this up, got in a hurry to get it functional for the make a wish troop we did last weekend. I've got some more mods to do soon to clean it up, so I'll post up pics in a few days to follow up on this.

Things that have happened....

1) During my first troop with the rig, at the very end my glued on plastic bracket for the TCI came unglued, and left me wondering why it was rubbing on my ear for half an hour before i could take my bucket off :P That will require some repositioning...

2) my fan kept trying to shave my beard, good thing it was an underpowered 12v fan :P need to reposition it a little.

3) the TCI kept having its static burst set off by the drummers at the 5k walk, had to turn off the static burst for awhile.

4) Andy bought Plasti-Dip, so I have to do it all over cause that stuff is really neat ;)

Cool tutorial! I'm in the process of moving older threads here, and am glad to see you discovered it. I think it will make finding these excellent tutorials easier.