some help with canada post pls - advice required

Heatshock

hey guys

I have a private arrangement with a guy in the Canadian Garrison. Got the tracking number. Canada post website says item has left Canada 02/12/2008

nothing yet :(

checked with local courier in UK and UK customs- nothign arrived with that tracking number.

Canada Post was very unhelpful over phone, and they dont entertain emails.

my canadian contact is not contactable at the moment - but like I said, I am sure its all done and dusted from his point of view (ie item collected, went to central sorting in Canada and got shipped)

wot am I to do? Is patience all that is needed as I heard that Canada Post can be a little slow at times.

to UK guys and BSNers - its the same thread, just wanting more advice or local help pls.

Thanks.

Canada is slow. I was getting a package form there and the tracking said it left customs. Two and a half weeks later they handed it over to US customs and I had it in 2 days. Give them another couple weeks and you should have your package.

I work at a Canada Post retail outlet! What your problem may be is that some packages are only tracked while they are in Canada and then don't record anything because its difficult to interact with other countries mailing systems... but that all depends on the way it was sent of course, if its a pretty premium product like xpresspost or priority world wide then you whould be able to track it anywhere. But in most cases the standard ground or air packet is not so trackable and even some of the lower end xpresspost stuff like the little envelopes arn't heard of past the border. So my best advice is to sit tight and wait it out.... Canada Post SUCKS for getting things anywhere fast (without costing a small fortune). To ball park how long things take overseas is generally 1.5-3 weeks depending on the service he picked and size of the package.... and dont forget being held up by customs! Anyway i hope my normally useless info can help :P I think he probably sent it by international surface which is better than regular air/ground and has the tracking number.... but the number again only tracks within Canada for some indeed, silly reason, i'd guess it should be about 2 weeks max if thats the case. Now excuse me but i am off to work :P i'll check back in a couple hours from the work computer in case you had any more questions. (or if anyone has Canada Post questions for that matter)

~Brad

cheers man - nice info

pming u some info if its ok

the tracking numbers from all countries I've bought stuff from has always been reciprocal tracking with the local courier in UK (ie parcel force)

its now well over 6 weeks since it was posted, all I can do is sit it out though :(

Oh wow, i thought it had only been a week or 2! (but i guess its been that long since you heard anything?) i PM'd you what info i had on your situation.... I'd definitly go for that C/S number i gave you then. So yeah, i told you to wait buuuut at this point that seems really long even to me! So go for everything you can i guess.

the tracking numbers from all countries I've bought stuff from has always been reciprocal tracking with the local courier in UK (ie parcel force)

That is still true for the most part but you still have to pay extra to get true tracking... Not too sure exactly how hard it is to track but if you think about it, Canada Post has to keep tabs on something relying on international information and a completely different system (even if the numbers themselves are pretty standardized in terms of how the tracking system is set up). I think its because it makes the other ways of sending it look that much better, and lets them tack a nice big fee on it too! Often times the international parcel is something like $25 - $30 but only tracks in Canada, while the next one up that will provide accurate tracking and garuntee a specific delivery date can be upwards of $70 for the same parcel. Sure, a lot of what you're paying for is the speed and garuntee but i really doubt that the tracking info being sent to Canada to be put on their site really costs much....

Just my $0.02

edit: and it does matter what other mailing systems you deal with.... Canada and the US are always true tracking from door to door, but as soon as you take it across the ocean it gets hazy

I've been waiting on an item arriving from Canada for over 11 months now <_< According to the tracking info, it hit the UK after 8 week's from posting then just dissapeared, I have a sneaky suspision that I will never recieve my parcel. :(

It's a place I avoid buying from.

I wish you heaps of good luck & have my fingers crossed that the same fate dos'nt happen to you.

it sucks waiting for post at the best of times.

I've been waiting on an item arriving from Canada for over 11 months now <_< According to the tracking info, it hit the UK after 8 week's from posting then just dissapeared, I have a sneaky suspision that I will never recieve my parcel. :(

It's a place I avoid buying from.

I wish you heaps of good luck & have my fingers crossed that the same fate dos'nt happen to you.

it sucks waiting for post at the best of times.

Steve Im not in the postal industry but my understanding of tracking numbers is this.... If you have a number it not only tracks when it landed in the UK but also were it landed and who signed for it. If you have confirmation of its arrival, then it is either sitting in customs or someone stole it. Either way the tracking number should help you trace it to the s dept at UK Post that is reponsible for it ( And I Do Mean Responsible ) . When you phone to make an inquirey they will most deffinatly give you the run around. Don't listen to their bullshucks, remeber you are likley talking to some type of CSR, demand to speak to a supervisor and insist that they retreive the package. I have a similar experiece about two years ago and all it really took was someone to actually get off there fat a-- and go into the back and look for it. I hope this helps. :)

thanks Paul, I'm just digging out the old info & may give it one last shot, although I actually gave up after the fist six month's of waiting for a postal van to arrive on the street each & every day.

Good Luck Nate, I hope it dos'nt come to this end for you & your parcel.