BlueBantha's Denuo Novo FO TK Build

It has begun! I started with the biceps. as they seemed relatively straight forward

j0U73qI.jpg

Before:

ryjx8tp.jpg

After: 

IkIkZxM.jpg

So, I trimmed as the directions said, and they seem fine, however, I just got a bit concerned about return edges. I know for ANH TK's there's a ton of discussion and reference regarding what is correct. What seems to be the consensus for FO TK's? I also know that the gaskets add a bit of heft. I know the chest and back have some, but is it ok that I trimmed the biceps to the edge? I can attach more photos. 

42 minutes ago, bluebantha said:

So, I trimmed as the directions said, and they seem fine, however, I just got a bit concerned about return edges. I know for ANH TK's there's a ton of discussion and reference regarding what is correct. What seems to be the consensus for FO TK's? I also know that the gaskets add a bit of heft. I know the chest and back have some, but is it ok that I trimmed the biceps to the edge? I can attach more photos. 

I don't have much return edge on my arms, although I do have some on the front of the forearms as they are quite thick on the front

large.1651114154_FOTKRforearm1.jpg.c8246

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/32-specific-parts/

No return edges

large.star-wars-tfa-stormtrooper-rt-arm-

Chest/back/yoke definitely a return edge as you can see in this image

large.star-wars-tfa-stormtrooperl-rt_236

No return edge thighs and shins

large.star-wars-tfa-stormtrooper-legs-cl

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I don't have much return edge on my arms, although I do have some on the front of the forearms as they are quite thick on the front

large.1651114154_FOTKRforearm1.jpg.c8246

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/32-specific-parts/

No return edges

large.star-wars-tfa-stormtrooper-rt-arm-

Chest/back/yoke definitely a return edge as you can see in this image

large.star-wars-tfa-stormtrooperl-rt_236

No return edge thighs and shins

large.star-wars-tfa-stormtrooper-legs-cl

This was super helpful. Thank you!

I plan on trimming more pieces tonight 

• Like 1

Entirely unrelated, but, for the black ring around the neck of the helmet, is paint used or is an actual rubber gasket used? If it's a rubber gasket, where do people typically get them? I have left over trim from my ANH helmet, although, I dont know if this is the same.

14 minutes ago, bluebantha said:

Entirely unrelated, but, for the black ring around the neck of the helmet, is paint used or is an actual rubber gasket used? If it's a rubber gasket, where do people typically get them? I have left over trim from my ANH helmet, although, I dont know if this is the same.

They don't normally have rubber, I'd say this was put on afterwards

ttlj.thumb.png.605032d155d65f2c6829525cae68aebe.png

Internal view of a TFA Helmet.

No edge trim, but this one had a webbing set up and a chin strap to keep it on and in-place

MW8arhC.jpg

Productive night yesterday! I got a ton of the pieces cut out, and the greeblies painted!

Here's the paint:

AWNyFfv.jpg

BYaOEUG.jpg

Onto the cutting!

Cod before:

gPRplcw.jpg

Cod after:

Xc2OszJ.jpg

Shins before:

VBSW2Pr.jpg

Shins after:

ZPEU3tt.jpg

Thighs before:

HLFHuh3.jpg

v5KNqzJ.jpg

Thighs after: 

he4i6IP.jpg

Butt before:

K0x5v5h.jpg

Butt after:

uzVibsQ.jpg

Shoulders before:

haShMIj.jpg

Shoulders after:

aMZEamf.jpg

Knees before:

DGiIayU.jpg

Knees after:

MdoahWk.jpg

I'll be working on the torso armor tonight. Id like to do the forearms soon, however, they feel a bit daunting. 

• Like 3

New update! All of the pieces are trimmed with the exception of the forearms, which I'll tackle tomorrow. In addition, I glued together the abdomen, and hope to begin the filling tomorrow. I did a mock fitting, and am finding that the tips of the chest dont sit flat, so I'll need a way to flatten them. Here's some pics;

Abdomen before:

fAUf0nq.jpg

Abdomen after:

ESLS4Pb.jpg

Chest before:

jDNpZex.jpg

Chest after:

b6Q4lMj.jpg?1

Yolk before:

iZ6kS6j.jpg

Yolk after:

oMR4uTx.jpg

Back before: 

Az3LyBd.jpg

Back after:

7ry9DNg.jpg

Spine before:

CzjGoSx.jpg

Spine after:

K789ajV.jpg

Spats before:

YrMwQWJ.jpg

Spats after:

4yxCfpy.jpg

Hands before:

qJYZtiy.jpg

Hands after: 

VSUbTv2.jpg

Here is the abdomen glued:

KHQPdTq.jpg

• Like 2

Completely unrelated, but I am an actor, and in theater, I have access to a lot of black gaff tape. So, I took some today, and am trying to make sense of exactly where it goes on the armor. I understand it goes in the black areas where stickers are often used, but is it taped on from the back, or placed on top like a sticker?

Hi my friends! It's been a while since I posted an update. Ive been super busy with finals and performances, however, I managed to get a pretty good amount done.

Firstly, to hold me over until I purchase a metal one, I printed out a functional holster for the thigh armor, here it is:

8fmrIrv.jpg

I made some ABS slurry using the scraps I had, and Klean Strip acetone. I began putting it on the shoulders and abdomen seams:

vgXWoVw.jpg

ZXmhbV7.jpg

XHfQAvF.jpg

8dD5Wqi.jpg

aBJ5Q7S.jpg

I cracked the Yolk when I was trimming the excess, so I started to patch it.

I have begun sanding these pieces, however, I learned a valuable lesson. I figured it would be good to slap it on, quite thick, as it would build up nicely. This was however not the best way of doing things, I should have done multiple thin layers. I found that having it on thick would result in it heating up and becoming gummy as I would sand. Not a huge deal, but it would require me to stop, and then start again. I also noticed there being quite a few bubbles in the slurry when I did it this way. So, if you're doing this, learn from my mistakes.

Next, and this was for some reason a big worry of mine, I began on cutting out the forearms. Before:

FalBri1.jpg

sQ0aQlo.jpg

And after:

dQ9KmtP.jpg

p4YoQgm.jpg

Once this was done, I cut out the recesses in the chest and biceps:

7F5Ddsr.jpg

BAC2JF8.jpg

I then added the gaff tape to the back:

jsdA1Q4.jpg

DRt9CD4.jpg

Feeling pretty good about my progress thus far. I also began glueing the limbs together, so I will post that when I post updates on the seams. 

If I could have some guidance on the shoulder/chest rigging, I would greatly appreciate it. I have found that even after the 2-3 times I have slid the unit over my head, I am already developing cracks. I have since reinforced those areas with ABS and some slurry though.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

You were too fast, ABS paste is better being applied with thinner coats, reason! the thicker the applied paste the more air bubbles can form inside during the curing process. Bit late now though, see how you go you can always add a thinner coat later.

3 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You were too fast, ABS paste is better being applied with thinner coats, reason! the thicker the applied paste the more air bubbles can form inside during the curing process. Bit late now though, see how you go you can always add a thinner coat later.

Yeah, I figured. Ill do thinner coats going forward 

• Like 1

Here's some photos of the pieces being glued up with E-6000!

Forearms:

vTlNP2J.jpg

Calves:

DbXQkv9.jpg

Biceps: 

KHyfCi0.jpg

Thighs:

QJmTam3.jpg

I then began to sand and paint up the holster:

mvpKPo1.jpg

qMTeWCc.jpg

Then I added some shims to the back plate in order to bridge the gap between the chest and back:

l8gkDIi.jpg

mOdyYpv.jpg

Then slurry:

IF9dACa.jpg

CuyxvNN.jpg

It looks like I put this on thick, however, I did it just about as thin as possible. There are two thin layers here.

So, once I got everything glued, I did a bit of a preliminary suit up.

Im super aware that there are issues here. The shoulders are not attached to the chest, the thighs are not attached to the abdomen, and the abdomen has yet to be closed up. And, it is hard to see, but I do have my gaskets on. I tailored the leg gaskets that came with the kit to be more form fitting, as they were tight on the thigh, and very loose on the calf.

Let me know if anyone sees anything jumping out at them as being egregious:

1kUxaHt.jpg

QpIBtFT.jpg

l6y9jRn.jpg

ukzS1jS.jpg

Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking!

Quick little update!

As we know, the included panel is too tall for the included fabric pouches in the Denuo Novo kit. I took some measurements, and it's about an inch too tall. So, I took it upon myself to model this in fusion 360, so I could 3D print this instead of buying new pouches! Here it is:

SVfRTuQ.png

8TePnZ9.png

If anyone finds themselves needing the file down the line, Im more than happy to send it over to you! I can also put it in the 3D file depository. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Very nice, if you wish you could also post in the 3D depository

I know it's still early on but make sure when it comes to your submission you have the forearms on the right arms, note the small black detail in pill boxes should be on the inside of the forearms ;) Getting close now.

large.star-wars-tfa-ep-7-trooper-1_23453ukzS1jS.jpg

4 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Very nice, if you wish you could also post in the 3D depository

I know it's still early on but make sure when it comes to your submission you have the forearms on the right arms, note the small black detail in pill boxes should be on the inside of the forearms ;) Getting close now.

large.star-wars-tfa-ep-7-trooper-1_23453ukzS1jS.jpg

Good eye! thanks! I imagined that the clips went on the outside, but Ill be sure to switch them.