SE-14R Holster Research

SE-14R Holster Research

There has been a lot of research over the years on the subject of the "Promo" "Hero" trooper and what holster should be used for the SE-14R but there are no absolute official canon images of what the holster should look like, we only have partial images and peoples interpretation of those images.

Much of the research has been lost due to the "Photobucket Debacle" and some archived but I've added what is salvageable below 

RS Holster worn by Hero helmet trooper below, mid attachment, believed to be a rebel DH-17 holster put on a TK belt (incorrectly). Also note the stitching is on the left (front) of the holster and the standard E-11 is on the right (back), it is shorter than the E-11 and also angled on the bottom.

1BSZkOq.jpg

ANH holster RS.JPG

kkLrFrK.jpg

xtdeUVD.jpg&key=453f6fdf2e16dd6ad7087c67

0yfc0pn.jpg&key=2c2b8fe9835ce429a39b4b82

AnBqkga.jpg

At first only believed to be worn by 1 trooper we have the image below showing 2 troopers sporting this style of holster. 

23109820611_21c1980525_b.jpg&key=fc17980

OfKM1zd.jpg

Very easy to spot as the holster is a lot shorter than an E-11 holster and slightly angled on the bottom

AxE0ans.jpg

Holster comparison E-11 on left, RS Variant on right - no cutout like promo trooper. Note the stitching is on the opposite side of the holster.

gallery1.jpg

Hero Promo, short like the RS holster also stitching on the left (front) BUT with a cut-out section and SE-14R in the holster, once again you can see it is a lot shorter than an E-11 holster as it is high on the thigh. This could very well be one of the RS style holsters modified with the cut out seen below.

original-star-wars-stormtrooper-armor-heGamU4Br.jpgGTFBUKN.jpgSE-14R.webp.9daa485836b67877438416211f7daa0b.webp

4 rivet attachment as you can see the two rivets on the one strap below

LgJm5Kj.png

sz3p5Mo.png

While looking at a lot of the promo pictures I can see it has an angle from left rising to the right much like the RS Variant holster so it may even be a similar design with the cut out added to it.

Angled upwards in green

large.promo7.png.dfc0cbcce3d4f2f4784a7c50d6a8852b.png.227fc6e5207bc9be8278948d832cfae5.png

After some debate and going over a lot of the reference material we concluded there had been different versions of the RS Variant / Promo / Hero trooper holster:

1 Hero with the tapered RS holster, sewn on opposite side and belt attachment in the middle with 2 rivets, wearing a detonator and no belt cover squares.

2 Hero Luke and 421 have the standard 4 rivet belt attachment E-11 style with com and grappling box

1 Hero the standard 4 rivet belt attachment E-11 style with detonator

1 Hero PROMO tapered holster RS style with cut out/notch for E-11 or SE-14R (trooper could holster either style weapon), 4 rivets on belt, sewn on opposite side, wearing a TD.

My SE-14R 

Modelled from the RS Variant photo, but no cut out like Promo trooper

OF25UOU.jpg

twod.jpg.98fbb8110b1beeff70959dc5a1e7b365.jpg

I believe the cut out on the Promo trooper may have been added as removing the blaster from the holster may have been difficult while wearing gloves, the cut out may allow access to the trigger area, but that's just my thoughts

twod.jpg.98fbb8110b1beeff70959dc5a1e7b365.jpg.2e80c6c5d5cb679c8f9270e8afc9d0d6.jpg

Until any further references come to light this is the conclusion, check with your GML or GCO, some will allow non canon items to be worn, some won't.

• Like 4

Nice consolidation of much history here, many thanks Glen.

I would figure the E-11 had to be mounted on the left due to the magazine! maybe the SR-14 was then also mounted on the left to create a uniform look for the big screen? No magazine issues there but now a left sided holster for a blaster that could actually sit on the right.

I'd love to see a side profile of the Promo Trooper, to me It looks like purpose made item and not a usual holster "flipped" for stitching! these are not dyed through leathers and considering access to the blaster, looking at the pic, the SR14 is sitting kind of high to warrant a cut out? or is it just me, I can be wrong, I often am. :blush:

• Like 1

I think the magazine would have made a big impact on how the blaster was holstered initially but as you say not with the SR-14, what came first the chicken or the egg :lol:

Although I've scoured the interwebs I've still not been able to find a full side Promo trooper image, it's a shame so many of our older threads have lost images I'm sure there was a treasure trove at one time.

There are still images I see come to light in some of the prop groups that I've never seen before so there is still a chance an image may come to light one day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It could well be that the particular holster used in the promo shots had once housed an E-11? As you've discovered, we see many holsters with this particular size and style in ANH :)

• 2 months later...

Hope its cool to add my recent research? after chopping up lots of leather trying different patterns to match what we can see in the promo pics.

Here's a comparison of the size to the Standard E-11. I speculated they used a similar footprint for the holster?

IMG-2101.jpg

side profile

IMG-2102.jpg

side profile

IMG-2100.jpg

I believe Glen is on the money regarding the cut out being a functional addition, in order to get the right sided weapon out of the left sided holster makes life way easier.

IMG-2099.jpg

IMG-2099.jpg

IMG-2097.jpg

I've tried it next to the hard armour parts (not pictured) and the measurements stack up.....for me anyway :) 

• Like 3

Nice work came out great. No matter how hard I try I just can't find that one elusive photo of the promo trooper side on, but I'll keep looking :D 

• Like 1