ANH TK shin help

I am working with a WTF kit that was built to my body size, the builder did a fantastic job. The biceps cam in too tight to fit but I fixed those with no issues. The shins however are a different animal. I need about 1.5" to get them closed at the top. I've seen various types of shimming here and I'm look for the best possible way. This is no fault of the builder, I went back over the measurements I provided and I was off. 

Since I'm a bigger guy I think the cover strips are maxed out. I am looking for the best way to shim without having to paint since the kit is built (so no slurries). 

My thought was to pull apart the front of the shin and create a gap under the cover strip and glue it back down. I can reinforce with some spare ABS and done. But that will leave "shoulders" on each side of the cover strip. I don't know if that's acceptable or not, I didn't see anything about that in the CRLs for basic approval. 

I can increase the size of the cover strip in the back but that means going over 1.5". I think it starts to look odd. And it leaves a gap at the top of the rear so the lip part wont meet. I've seen some with sort of a relief cut on the back side (almost like a U shape) and that might cover up the gap. But again, larger cover strip. 

QIdonN0.jpg

OZFtrJ5.jpg

KVFmr6S.jpg

Edited by TI25674

Hi David! If you decide to pull off your shin front cover strips, it is acceptable for there to be a visible ridge (or shoulders as you describe them) on either side from pulling the armor out. Just be sure that you add in a rear/inside strip to ensure proper adhesion. You could also consider utilizing wider cover strips on the back for your thighs, as you mention, which should give you some extra wiggle room. You may just need to create a backer plate to fill in part of the gap of the raised ridge at the top, depending on what type of mobility cuts you do. Here are some reference photos of the screen used suit from RS, all found from the FISD Gallery.

gallery_12157_59_22749.jpg     gallery_12157_59_31769.jpg     gallery_12157_59_74442.jpg

And while those images doen't really show it, the extra surface and ridge that is prominent at the top of the shin, has also existed at the bottom and even the middle of leg pieces as well, so you really should be fine in pulling out the pieces a bit.

5 minutes ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Hi David! If you decide to pull off your shin front cover strips, it is acceptable for there to be a visible ridge (or shoulders as you describe them) on either side from pulling the armor out. Just be sure that you add in a rear/inside strip to ensure proper adhesion. You could also consider utilizing wider cover strips on the back for your thighs, as you mention, which should give you some extra wiggle room. You may just need to create a backer plate to fill in part of the gap of the raised ridge at the top, depending on what type of mobility cuts you do. Here are some reference photos of the screen used suit from RS, all found from the FISD Gallery.

gallery_12157_59_22749.jpg     gallery_12157_59_31769.jpg     gallery_12157_59_74442.jpg

And while those images doen't really show it, the extra surface and ridge that is prominent at the top of the shin, has also existed at the bottom and even the middle of leg pieces as well, so you really should be fine in pulling out the pieces a bit.

Thank you for the response! Im thinking since I only need a little space, given your post, I will probably pull the front apart and reglue with some space. Putting a piece behind it as well. 

Generally we try to add any larger cover strips on the rear as we are mostly seen from the front. I would however contact your GML in regards to widths, some are a little stricter than others so worth a check.