Denuo Novo Pre-Assembled FOTK

sageleader

I bought a FOTK kit from WTF a year or two ago but couldn't find the energy or space to actually build it. I tried to find a local commission to have someone build it for me but that didn't work out. 

Anyway, now I'm seeing that Denuo Novo has pre-assembled FOTK armor coming out Q4. I actually already own all the soft parts so I'm wondering:

1) How is the quality of the Denuo Novo kits for those who got them?

2) Does this pre-assembled armor seem good and like it actually will be ready to wear?

3) Is there even a market for barely started armor kits so I could sell my WTF kit that I did finish a few pieces on? 

Kind of seems like too good of a price if you ask me, considering most people spend like 100 hours building their armor and it's only like $500 more than the kit. 

I'm interested in any thoughts you all have. 

The Denou Novo FOTK kits look good.

There are a few things however that my guess is wont be assembled from them in a state to meet Legion basic level.

If you are not joining Legion with it then pay that no attention, but if you are, it will require having the side joins properly fused together of the abdomen section, and also the chest and back plate will also require the same treatment.

2 ways to do that.

1. make ABS paste to fill those seams or joins, sand then smooth them polish.

2. Use Bondo or other type of fillers sand and then repaint the armour.

All armour requires an amount of work to get it up to spec to reach Legion standards, DN are a costume company, they will assemble it the quickest way possible and charge a pretty penny for it too.

My suggestion is get in contact with your local garrison. See if there is any armour parties coming up where you can get first hand help, meet some members and learn plenty from the experience.

To answer your other question, YES there certainly is a market for barley started armour. again contacting your local garrison may yield an excellent response from someone close buy who is looking for a kit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sly11 said:

The Denou Novo FOTK kits look good.

There are a few things however that my guess is wont be assembled from them in a state to meet Legion basic level.

If you are not joining Legion with it then pay that no attention, but if you are, it will require having the side joins properly fused together of the abdomen section, and also the chest and back plate will also require the same treatment.

2 ways to do that.

1. make ABS paste to fill those seams or joins, sand then smooth them polish.

2. Use Bondo or other type of fillers sand and then repaint the armour.

All armour requires an amount of work to get it up to spec to reach Legion standards, DN are a costume company, they will assemble it the quickest way possible and charge a pretty penny for it too.

My suggestion is get in contact with your local garrison. See if there is any armour parties coming up where you can get first hand help, meet some members and learn plenty from the experience.

To answer your other question, YES there certainly is a market for barley started armour. again contacting your local garrison may yield an excellent response from someone close buy who is looking for a kit.

Thank you. Part of the reason I don't want to assemble myself is that I live in NYC and I have no space for painting. So realistically would the armor be approvable if I used option 1 with ABS paste and polished? If I have to repaint the entire armor it's not worth it to me. It does seem like the torso pieces have seams on the sides, so that means I would have to make a new cut at the back and seal the side seams, correct? 

There are so far several members who have used ABS paste, sanded and compounded/polished their armor who have not needed to use paint so yes it can be achieved. 

Here is just one of the many builds showing how to join/fill with ABS paste and sand/polish and also forearm modification to make the kit TLJ approvable.

To add to what gmrhodes13 has shared. I’ve seen a few DN kits coming through as submissions in my garrison.

Out of the box they look great to the naked eye, but when comparing to screen references and CRLs there are some things that need to be fixed.

Shoulder yoke seams, side seams, and the shin box seams all need to be filled/smoothed to be seamless.

TD seems to be a TFA TD and not TLJ so that needs to be modified to match TLJ

The gaskets sent by DN are stitched with the shiny side inside and not outside which makes the gaskets not approvable without altering or buying from a different vendor.

Those are a few things I’ve noticed.

What’s more to answer your question on the pre-assembled option, they are charging a pretty penny for assembly as gmrhodes13 said to get more for a quick kick out the door option. The problem I’ve seen here is members who have bought this method find that the armor doesn’t exactly fit them as it’s designed to fit someone who is super thin and has 0% body fat it feels. Lol.

Considering how minimal the effort is to get this armor kit put together for basic approval I always will recommend get a kit instead and work with your garrison and/or a build thread on FISD for assistance and you’ll be able to get your kit built to your specifications and done right the first time. Beyond that the skills you will learn while building your armor are invaluable for knowing how to alter/repair your armor in the future. (Something that is inevitable).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 7/20/2023 at 12:07 AM, FN1313 said:

To add to what gmrhodes13 has shared. I’ve seen a few DN kits coming through as submissions in my garrison.

Out of the box they look great to the naked eye, but when comparing to screen references and CRLs there are some things that need to be fixed.

Shoulder yoke seams, side seams, and the shin box seams all need to be filled/smoothed to be seamless.

TD seems to be a TFA TD and not TLJ so that needs to be modified to match TLJ

The gaskets sent by DN are stitched with the shiny side inside and not outside which makes the gaskets not approvable without altering or buying from a different vendor.

Those are a few things I’ve noticed.

What’s more to answer your question on the pre-assembled option, they are charging a pretty penny for assembly as gmrhodes13 said to get more for a quick kick out the door option. The problem I’ve seen here is members who have bought this method find that the armor doesn’t exactly fit them as it’s designed to fit someone who is super thin and has 0% body fat it feels. Lol.

Considering how minimal the effort is to get this armor kit put together for basic approval I always will recommend get a kit instead and work with your garrison and/or a build thread on FISD for assistance and you’ll be able to get your kit built to your specifications and done right the first time. Beyond that the skills you will learn while building your armor are invaluable for knowing how to alter/repair your armor in the future. (Something that is inevitable).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a TFA helmet already so I'm actually hoping for a TFA build. I already purchased a kit from WTF but as mentioned in my OP, I don't have the space or energy to build that. I'd much rather pay extra to have someone do the work for me. The fit is the thing I'm worried about but I fit their specifications so I'm hoping for the best. 

As far as modifications it seems like some ABS paste, sanding, and polishing wouldn't take long and would take me far less than doing an entire kit myself. 

2 hours ago, sageleader said:

As far as modifications it seems like some ABS paste, sanding, and polishing wouldn't take long and would take me far less than doing an entire kit myself. 

When applying ABS paste try to do this in thin coats, waiting for them to dry in between, adding large quantities small air bubbles can form and be quite noticeable when sanding :) 

How To ABS paste 

Thank you all. I think this "ready to wear" armor is my best bet for the least amount of work possible, right? I'm not aware of any other companies that sell ready to wear armor at this low of a price. Having to modify 4-6 pieces is much easier than cutting out an entire kit, sanding, painting, etc.

2 hours ago, sageleader said:

Thank you all. I think this "ready to wear" armor is my best bet for the least amount of work possible, right? I'm not aware of any other companies that sell ready to wear armor at this low of a price. Having to modify 4-6 pieces is much easier than cutting out an entire kit, sanding, painting, etc.

At this stage they are the only one selling "ready to wear" armor, albeit I don't think I've seen any photos so far of what their "ready to wear" kit looks like. You may still need to make some adjustments as well as the upgrades for legion approval. As always check with your GML (garrison membership liaison) as they will be the ones overseeing your costume submission.

Thanks. Do you think it will be difficult to make ABS paste with my Walt's Trooper Factor extra ABS for the Denuo Novo ready made kit? I'm a little worried it won't match and then I'm going to basically be in the same spot I am now with a lot of work.

2 minutes ago, sageleader said:

Thanks. Do you think it will be difficult to make ABS paste with my Walt's Trooper Factor extra ABS for the Denuo Novo ready made kit? I'm a little worried it won't match and then I'm going to basically be in the same spot I am now with a lot of work.

Very hard to say, it just depends on color, there are many shades of white we see depending on maker but there is always the option of touching up with paint, some do this with there OTTK when adding side shims.