Bicep Armor test fitting

Zinfer

Hopefully this is just a simple question.  Wanted to confirm my build.  Working with an RS self build Stormtrooper.  On the bicep, my first test fit after trimming.  Too big.  So it's my understanding that I need to fit it down about 1 to1.5 Inches.  So I believe that the procedure is to trim about half an inch to 3/4" on both edges of the tricep/outer plate to split the difference.  I've been told never to cut down the inner side.  Is my thinking on this clear?

Edited by Zinfer

21 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

RS bicep building video may help you

I know right?  I've watched that probably a hundred times.  He never really addresses the issue other than taking off the trim edge.  Rob says near the end it's a little tight, but never addresses if it's too big.  I've even sent emails asking, but never got a reply. Glen you mentioned in another thread where you had to slim yours down.  Do you have any pics or procedures on that?  I'm tempted to just jump in and take 1/4" off each side of the outer.  Spending way too much time researching this and not getting anything done.  :D  But I guess that's about right if you're really not sure how to proceed.  1 finger rule is what I'm trying to stick with.

Edited by Zinfer

6 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

I know right?  I've watched that probably a hundred times.  He never really addresses the issue other than taking off the trim edge.  Rob says near the end it's a little tight, but never addresses if it's too big.  I've even sent emails asking, but never got a reply. Glen you mentioned in another thread where you had to slim yours down.  Do you have any pics or procedures on that?  I'm tempted to just jump in and take 1/4" off each side of the outer.  Spending way too much time researching this and not getting anything done.  :D  But I guess that's about right if you're really not sure how to proceed.  1 finger rule is what I'm trying to stick with.

I have ATA armor and it has the raised edges so I didn't trim down thinner than those, I do have some foam inside to keep them a little tighter, I've got pretty skinny arms.

Perhaps post up some images of how big they are on and that will give us a better idea how to advise you ;) 

Here is Crickets build, Christine had to size down here biceps quite a lot, this may help

Ok that helps, I first look at both pieces and see if they are the same width, I like to have my coverstrips in the center of the two pieces, if one side is wider I will normally trim more off that piece, I've never heard of never cutting down the inner side.

So if they are the same width I trim equally of the inner and outer pieces front and back. You don't want to trim down to they are tight, having them a little loose allows movement, but also you don't want them too thin so they look out of place with the shoulder bells and forearms. I probably have two fingers of space in my biceps and have a small amount of foam, any thinner and they would look too thin. Hope that makes sense, I've only had one coffee this morning ;) 

Here is another RS build with bicep sizing which may help

Notice the width matches between the bicep and forearm

gallery_12157_59_18048.jpg

So I checked out Hazamel's Topic and build however his problem was that they felt too tight.  I by far don't have this problem as I included those images.  I have at least 2 fingers in between both the Upper and Lower bicep armor.  I mean if they're just going to hang off the bells, they're going to be bouncing around in every direction.  Loose and baggy. I've not found a thread yet that describes the cutting procedure., just the trim edge..  I thought you were having a problem with this as well.  Apparently your solution was install padding inside rather than cut the circumference down.  I mean, I don't think that 13" is too extreme, but then I'm talking about my own body.  I'm thinking the RS biceps are 14-3/4" in circumference at the bottom, give an inch for a finger so call it 15-3/4" at the bottom,  and I'm like 12" at the bottom near the elbow.  I can easily get 2 fingers in top and bottom.  That is nearly 2-3/4", which which would be over an inch trim on either side.  Stumped.  Only thing I can think is trimming 1/4" on both sides which would give me 1/2"  and go from there in fitting.

Mine was ATA and like I said they have raised ridges so you can't trim any smaller or you cut those off so the fix is adding foam, many of us with skinny arms have to use foam and pad them. 

If you have a look at some of the centurion approval threads you will notice that a lot of people appear to have gaps in their biceps, it's a common thing with skinny arms, you will find too that once you have strapping from bells and forearms they will not flop around as much even without adding foam

A bit of info in regards to sizing and measurements

In this build he has left a lot of return edge, with that removed they would be very loose

Another video on trimming biceps

Another video

Ritchie Stormtrooper appears to be doing exactly what I think I'm needing to do.  So that's a nice confirmation.  I also sent him a note on his site to confirm it further before I put metal or dremel to plastic.  I need to begin thinking of a compression cloting to begin fitting all these parts.  It'd be really nice if under armor would stop putting all the pinstriping and logos everywhere they can.  Just a straight Jet Black.

Edited by Zinfer

Those of you who know me were probably waiting for this, lol, but I have a couple of suggestions if I may, Rodney.

You have quite a bit of return edge(s) left on the biceps.  While some folks like the thicker look it gives the armor, it can cut into you (especially after a few hours of trooping with your arms bent) and is actually not very screen-accurate.  It will not affect approval at any level, but I personally suggest trimming it off or at least down a bit.

Screen used armor examples

EoIJDIS.jpg              36S0VtL.jpg?1  UJQH5Di.jpg?2

The biceps as you have them below are also a little loose fitting.  Some trimming (equally on both edges, front and rear) would help eliminate this.  Go a little at a time until they are comfortable but not too snug, allowing for a free range of movement.  BUT, if you do decide to remove the return edges, do that before final fitting/gluing.

1XIQDpr.jpg         KseA3vu.jpg?1   6fmDbtB.jpg?1   fRhLLU3.jpg?1

I have a thread here which will give you a bit more info. on return edges:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48166-return-edges-101-ottk/?tab=comments#comment-670906

One thing I would strongly suggest at this point is to start a build thread for your whole kit.  You have nailed adding photos so you are in good shape there, but if you have a thread that covers your entire build it will help us help you!

You can ask all the questions you may will have (as many as you like), post up lots of photos and show off your progress all in one place!  Doing this will not only help you/us keep track, but it can serve as a reference for others.

• Like 2

I completely understand your point on the return edges.  What I'm afraid of is taking all of it completely off thus making the huge gap even larger  But thank you so much for confirming I DO need to cut these to my size..  I was considering just trying 1/4" at a time and recheck for fit.  Wow, thank you so much for your input.  I have as a matter of fact been snapping shots along the way.  I will attempt to do a build thread.  Never done that on a forum before.  Without researching, is there a particular area where I would place this build thread?  Probably a dumb question before looking :)  Thanks again Joseph.  And thank you gmrhodes.

Edited by Zinfer

There are different threads for different types of builds, but the one you need is located here.  Ideally the title should be along the lines of "Zinfer's Hero build".  The reason being is that those in the future doing (or thinking of) that type of build (Hero) can reference it.  You can look at some of the other ones located there to give you an idea of what to expect.

Again, you can (and should) ask as many questions and post as many photos as you like.  The more the merrier!  Pics are especially important when you have an issue as it helps us help you better if we can see the problem.  One word of advice-  when in doubt, always ALWAYS ask before cutting or gluing.... trust me on that one. ;)