Definitive PROOF R1TK Helmet is asymmetrical.

Parquette

Hey all! 

As everyone knows, I've argued for a long time that the R1TK helmets were indeed asymmetrical. However, I wasn't able to develop a way to actually proof this outside of describing where to look. However, Sam Williams (one of the 3d designers) who worked with Glyn Dillon (the official costume designer for the Antholoy TK's) confirmed that the eyes were made to be "off," to pay tribute to the original sculptors. He even went so far as to share what the 3d render files for the helmet were when he was working on Solo designing the Mimban TK's.

sdvhobk.gif

-----------

Then I reversed the image to show how the eyes are off. 

Flipped:

546982907_mimban(2).jpg.1297f7ac87920a00b2eea55dd49adcac.jpg

Screen used costumes: 

Original shot: 

r1tk2.jpg.e8371235d41b5f68f36e2eb5e0fa4658.jpg

76596265_r1tk2(2).jpg.4cf64364e03e7f965fc71be15c955dc2.jpg

Original:

27756743203_2b95ed9876_k.thumb.jpg.d32854bf9dc04cfdd2cf191e507e1ef2.jpg

Flipped: 

812748861_27756743203_2b95ed9876_k(2).thumb.jpg.ff5e8ffee5267eb38d1cacb5d3920afe.jpg

Final shot: This is form the LFL BTS archival footage recently released last year. 

------------

Flipped:

1878511077_mimp(2).jpg.a6ef15285950cfcb7af4a78d112ae8be.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 2

Isn't it old, already long known stuff?! Those orthographic pictures have been around for around a year and a half now.

By the way, these 3D renders were shared by Sam Williams who's been in charge of doing lots of the hard-surface 3D modelling for the various late SW films in ZBrush. Many of these 3D models were then taken and resurfaced in Solidworks by Alan Meeks. But Glyn Dyllon didn't make any of the costume parts himself, he's concept artist and costume designer (that's way harder you can argue).

Also I don't see what you're trying to show by taking a picture and simply mirroring it? If you want to clearly show the assymetry (yes, the helmet is) you need to crop only half of the picture, flip it vertically and paste it over the other half of the picture and then slowly change the opacity from 0 to 100%. Even just pasting half of the helmet over the other half is more informative than what you've done :/
imagep10.jpg

4 hours ago, The5thHorseman said:

Isn't it old, already long known stuff?! Those orthographic pictures have been around for around a year and a half now.

By the way, these 3D renders were shared by Sam Williams who's been in charge of doing lots of the hard-surface 3D modelling for the various late SW films in ZBrush. Many of these 3D models were then taken and resurfaced in Solidworks by Alan Meeks. But Glyn Dyllon didn't make any of the costume parts himself, he's concept artist and costume designer (that's way harder you can argue).

Also I don't see what you're trying to show by taking a picture and simply mirroring it? If you want to clearly show the assymetry (yes, the helmet is) you need to crop only half of the picture, flip it vertically and paste it over the other half of the picture and then slowly change the opacity from 0 to 100%. Even just pasting half of the helmet over the other half is more informative than what you've done :/
imagep10.jpg

It is indeed old knowledge, but no one believed me when I first noticed it in the early CRL pages. There was no way to actually prove it on my end, as I'm technologically impaired xD But the mirror images helpe clearly see that 1 eye is off, while the other is regular. The above images to me at very first glance looked like you copied/pasted the same image twice, so it didn't exactly help. Anyways, I disagree and your images are less informative as people don't really notice it unless you flip the WHOLE helmet. Your mirrored version at first glance doesn't look any different.  

The BASIC laws of reflection work to highlight asymmetry in ANYTHING you hold in front of it, which in this case when you've seen something normally for a long time, then hold it up in front of a mirror anything off about it becomes very noticeable. That's how it works. 

Edited by Parquette

Yeah well, I think it's easier to notice the assymetry that way.

sdvhobk.gif

Your method might be true when perspective is involved, but when you have the chance to have orthographic views of the item you want to compare there's not reason not to make use of it.

1 hour ago, The5thHorseman said:

Yeah well, I think it's easier to notice the assymetry that way.

sdvhobk.gif

Your method might be true when perspective is involved, but when you have the chance to have orthographic views of the item you want to compare there's not reason not to make use of it.

I appreciate the gif there, no need to be harsh about it. I'll try to attach that to the original post. 

I'm not sure what the argument is about, the point is that something is being pointed out that was hard to show in the past, but now am able to bring it to light. 

Edited by Parquette
  • Like 2