Grrr! So close, and yet so far!

Every time I feel like I am getting close, there's another setback!  Building a TK Stunt, and I have question number 9,845...

I do not have Anovos armor, so my abdomen plate does not provide any way to connect the belt to the armor.  I know this is not required, but when trying on the armor with belt, the belt seems to be sliding around too much - and this is without the weight of the TD yet.  Plus, to keep the belt on firmly, I have to tighten it so much that it causes the kidney and abdomen to overlap around the sides.

My question is - is it a good idea to have a velcro connection between the belt and the abdomen plate?

Another question - does anyone use Chicago screws to hold the belt face and canvas belt together?  And what length?

Normally you would have two snaps or poppers to the front just behind the first box on each side of the plastic ammo belt. Like these photos, yes it is an anovos kit, but I added the snaps to both the belt and ab     -------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

However with that said I don't think it matters If you use snaps, poppers or velcro.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, rzill said:

My question is - is it a good idea to have a velcro connection between the belt and the abdomen plate?

That would work, industrial strength would be the best option, or you could install snaps yourself:)

• Like 2

I used 1/4” Chicago screws to attach plastic ammo pack to my canvas belt. (I personally put the screw side toward the armor in case I ever *needed* to remove it I could, since the other side has that button cover.)

I thought about Velcro, but after reading several threads, I went with snaps (5/32” hole drilled in plastic, a loose solder iron hole in the canvas belt). Mostly to avoid Velcro wardrobe malfunctions and to keep the belt as flush to the armor as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CoatHanger said:

I used 1/4” Chicago screws to attach plastic ammo pack to my canvas belt. (I personally put the screw side toward the armor in case I ever *needed* to remove it I could, since the other side has that button cover.)

I thought about Velcro, but after reading several threads, I went with snaps (5/32” hole drilled in plastic, a loose solder iron hole in the canvas belt). Mostly to avoid Velcro wardrobe malfunctions and to keep the belt as flush to the armor as possible.

Beautiful, just what I was looking for regarding Chicago snaps - thanks!  As for the belt to armor... errr,... I don't know about snaps just yet.  I think I'll try velcro and see how it goes.  But, I do see your point - I am just awful at building, so the less drilling, the better.

On 7/26/2018 at 7:02 AM, Rat said:

Normally you would have two snaps or poppers to the front just behind the first box on each side of the plastic ammo belt. Like these photos, yes it is an anovos kit, but I added the snaps to both the belt and ab. ------------

Interesting.  So, you just pounded the female end of the snap right into the belt?  And do these male ends hold well with the E6000?

Interesting.  So, you just pounded the female end of the snap right into the belt?  And do these male ends hold well with the E6000?
I used a soldering iron to open the holes up in the belt and then pounded them in. The ab I just drilled my holes and then pounded them in. So no glue was used at all in this.

4 hours ago, Rat said:

I used a soldering iron to open the holes up in the belt and then pounded them in. The ab I just drilled my holes and then pounded them in. So no glue was used at all in this.

Oh, ok - I've never made the full set of snaps.  For all of my inside snapping, I put just the one half of the female end on a plastic square, and glued that on.  This makes sense.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Oh, ok - I've never made the full set of snaps.  For all of my inside snapping, I put just the one half of the female end on a plastic square, and glued that on.  This makes sense.  Thanks!
No problem and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 10:48 PM, TK 71627 said:

Rzill, I’m curious... how did your TK end up ?
When did you get approved?

Oh, I am not finished with it yet.  But, I did just take pics of my progress.  My forearms are done, but not padded yet.  Still wondering if I should trim the lower legs before I start the velcro enclosure.  It's hard to tell from here, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether I need to trim those.  And I know my thighs are not level, but should the right one go up, or the left one go down? 

69o4PC5.jpeg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

On 8/11/2018 at 3:19 AM, rzill said:
Oh, I am not finished with it yet.  But, I did just take pics of my progress.  My forearms are done, but not padded yet.  Still wondering if I should trim the lower legs before I start the velcro enclosure.  It's hard to tell from here, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether I need to trim those.  And I know my thighs are not level, but should the right one go up, or the left one go down?

Trim length or diameter ???

21 minutes ago, TK 71627 said:

Trim length or diameter ???

Length.  I was thinking I should just do the padding first - to see how they fit without hanging over my boots, and then trim it if I have to.  I'm just not sure how long they are supposed to be.  Seems like they are digging into the boots too much.

Length.  I was thinking I should just do the padding first - to see how they fit without hanging over my boots, and then trim it if I have to.  I'm just not sure how long they are supposed to be.  Seems like they are digging into the boots too much.

The calves length look to be ok...

1 minute ago, TK 71627 said:

The calves length look to be ok...

Ok, I will go with this for now.  Once I complete them, I may need to trim around the bottom - I don't like how they are digging into the boot.  But, I won't make them any shorter as of now.  Hey, the less trimming I have to do anymore, the better!  

• Like 1

Ok, I will go with this for now.  Once I complete them, I may need to trim around the bottom - I don't like how they are digging into the boot.  But, I won't make them any shorter as of now.  Hey, the less trimming I have to do anymore, the better!  

I would NOT trim...leave as is...worry about the digging later

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rzill said:

The hight of the shins are as they should, I just posted on another thread you got that I would trim them but I ment circumference so we are clear on that:) If fitted correctly the shins will dig on the boot but not so much it can do any real damage, wear and tear is to be expected and in my opinion ads to the Stormtrooper-look. If you want you can protect them by adding soft velcro on the inside of the shins:salute:

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 3