Did Unicode break?

Timberwoof

I found the German-language section and noticed that the Umlauts and Ess-Zett (ß) are broken all over. Let's see if I can reproduce what I see: 
I can make these on my keyboard and they look okay while posting: ä, ö, ü, Ä, Ö, Ü, ß look okay. But this is the sort of thing I see:  heißt er E6000. That looks like a Unicode byte pair not getting displayed as an Ess-Zett (ß). 

Is there a pattern that can be used to do a find/replace?  I can run a database update on certain posts if so, e.g. older than a certain date.

Huh. The error isn't actually consistent. Some old posts have the problem; some do not. Sometime between June and September 2015 the problem went away. 

1-glyph substitutions: 
ü -> ü

ä -> ä

ö -> ö

ß -> ß

Examples: 

Kostüme -> Kostüme 

längere -> längere

eröffnen -> eröffnen

Grüße -> Grüße

Oberkörperpanzer -> Oberkörperpanzer = Upper Body Armor. Isn't that a cool word? :lol:

These examples don't include any capitals but I suspect 1) a search for Ã will find them and 2) these are the 99% solution. There is a lot of relevant and useful text that contains a lot of these errors. Lucky for me I don't actually have to read this; I can get by in English. ;)

Spanish also has the problem but I don't know what the substitutions are. The problem is rare as the volume is low. 

Ohboy. This is Bad with a capital Bad. The one thread in the Russian section looks like this: 

The last reply looks okay, so this may be a DNF: Do Not Fix.