I cut off the lower return edge from my ANH Stormtrooper Stunt Chest PLEASE ADVICE

ibdiegoTk

Hi, I´m building my first stormtrooper for the 501st and I bought a kit. The thing is that (without knowing about its presence in the anh stunt trooper) I cut off the little return edge that I had in the lower part of the chest piece of my trooper. Then I realized my mistake and here I am. I want to know, Will I be able to certificate it without the return edge? If yes great! But... If it is necessary how do I fix it.

I left pictures of it down below

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by ibdiegoTk

While return edges enhance the appearance (by giving an illusion of thickness) of the armor, they are not necessary for approval.

In fact, if you are doing a screen-accurate "Hero Luke" TK there is no lower return edge on the chest plate at all since the armor had to be trimmed down to accommodate Mark Hamil's height.

• Like 1

Yikes! Who do you think you are? Luke Skywalker!;) well you cut all of it off. You need it across the bottom for sure and you should have a little on the armpit curves. At the minimum. You could take an Iron and cover with white cotton shirt and warm up abs and bend new edge. It would be tough across bottom. But could be done. The question is how will it look after and can you lose some size and keep the Ab covered. What make of armor is it? Maybe just get a replacement and lesson learned to do your research. Know for sure before you cut anything. 

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Hey Diego!  

Don't panic!  I cut off the bottom chest return (plus a little more) on purpose, and I rebuilt it without any issues.  You'll only need a centimeter or so for that new return, so all is not lost.

Here's where I outlined what I did to rebuild my return.  Hope it helps you! 

• Like 2

You'll only need a centimeter or so to build the new return.  With your height, it shouldn't make that much of a difference.  Post some pics with the ab/chest taped to you so we can see how everything is lining up right now. 

• Like 2