What is a helmet system worth to you all?

I have read a couple of threads on voice amps and fans. Alot can be said for a well done and stowed system inside your bucket. Looks great if done well. I just got outbid again on a SW amp and fan set. I think I am a little frustrated that something like that can fetch 185 credits.

What is your system worth? Those of you with the SW seem to like it, its easy, and looks great. What does it take to do one like that? I hear about radioshack amps, and fans from diffrent makers... but how easy is the wiring and routing?

If you could put a price tag on the home built systems how does it stack up next to a store bought in time and function?

Opinion Time!

:blink:

hyperdyne board w/mic- 150 ( from HyperLabs, possibly cheaper used)

radio shack amp - 12

2 fans - 10 each

so around 182

the aeratorsetup I have now are screen accurate cast w/speakers $34 a set

the ones prior were sink aerators with speakers I purchased for $10

so my set up now, to buy: $216 (plus boxes I moded, got them for 4 bucks)

prior: $192

I cheated though. I the ebayer I got the armor off of didnt know what he had, and threw in the Hyper board for free. he never had the stuff out of the box. He purchased it from a guy who made a fan film, still in kit form. 500 total is what I paid :pint1:

wiring wasnt hard, but kinda know what you are doing(basic circuts)

positioning is the big thing.

amp and board

nwNQOhH.jpg

fan setup

aNNtBUn.jpg

My AP bucket was $275 IIRC. My TE2 helmet was...let's just say a bit more. RomFx is like $260 depending on the exchange rate. Plus mike tips. Yeah, I'd say my cheap bucket is worth at least $600, my good one even more. That's not even including a fan setup.

And...haven't heard the hyperdine but I have heard *Worx, home done, and Rom. The Rom is easily the best sounding, though I have to say for a basic system the SkullWorx is a great value.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my SW today and I have to say it ended up worth it. Fans are quiet, and the mic works well. I dont see a need right now for the earphones, but it looks cool... Ill have to get pics up! Now i want to redo my helmet black on the inside.

Sheesh... Never finished.

Now to finish the hook project...

My Set up (not in my bucket to maximize volume)

ROM FX Pro - $260 (hands down the best value and quality. Comes with everything)

Headset - $20

2-way radio - $45

Remote/Receiver for ROM FX sounds and switch for 2-way - $30

DC Blower Fans - $5 each (bought 2)

Battery holders - 5x $1.50 each

Which headset did you end up using? I tried a few from Radio Shack, but neither worked very well. Also, is yours mounted in the bucket or do you wear it freestyle like your avatar?

This is the headset I use (the one in my Avatar). I have tried 4 others fancier ones but I keep coming back to this one because the mic is on a heavy duty wire that allows me to get the mic right up to my mouth making me loud and clear. It wraps around the back of my head so it works with my bucket on and the earpiece doesn't interfer with hearing around me. I wear it "freestyle" so I don't have to have my bucket on to use my 2-way radio. Three of us in Star Garrison use this headset because we can't find anything better and it is $20.

Just remember, I keep all my electronics in my chest/back. In my opinion that is the best place to put them for maximum volume and weight distribution. This type of headset might not be the best for a helmet mounted system.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 3 weeks later...

Swing by a local garrison troop and try one on. Get to know the local folks. I'm sure many of these questions can be answered that way :D

So just how deadly hot is one of these buckets without a fan system?

With the fans, it's like being in Death Valley in July.

Without fans, it's like having your head in a blast furnace.

I'd say that this is the one modification that everyone needs. It's hot in the armor anyway, so you'll do massive sweating. If you do not have some air circulation in there, it'll be intolerable for long periods of time and could be dangerous on long marches. Also, if you consider the sweating/breath factor, you're going to have even worse fogging issues than normal. Of course, this is speaking from experience living in Georgia (home of hot and muggy). I'd really suggest wiring in some computer fans. They don't take up a lot of room, don't need massive amounts of power to work, and they do wonders as little as they are.