First Stormtrooper build

Hello all! I just recieved my ATA kit and want to start on it right away. I've made props and costumes in the past, but nothing like this.<br><br>

I figured I better ask you all what I should do before blindly cutting plastic. I'm a short guy, about 5'6. I've been told I can trim everything to fit me, but I'm not sure if there's some pieces I'm not allowed to trim due to 501st specifications. <br><br>

Also, where can I buy the bulk of the hardware I'll need, the closest hardware store is Lowes. <br><br>

Since I've built armor before, I think I'll use zapagap(?) instead of E600. I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible from Trooper bays YouTube series, but I'm still a little overwhelmed. Thank you all for taking the time to read this :)

Hi,  As far as the hardware, yes Lowes will have a bunch, check A.C Moore or Micheal's for all the soft stuff (velcro, straps, snaps). You can also check trooperbay, he has a bunch of stuff. The thing to think about with the E6000 glue is it does hold very well but it can also come apart, not sure how the zapagap will do if you need to change a piece out or something. As far as cutting most things can be cut and trimmed, but then may have to have new returns made on them depending on the part. I would start with the arms and legs. The forearms can be trimed a little but do it on both ends, The thighs and biceps can be trimmed on the top, and the calves on the bottom and always with the same curves that they originally come with. The torso try on with the strapping and then go from there. Talk to guys in your local garrison they can be a world of knowledge for you and may be able to give you hands on help. A trooper and myself from my garrison are currently doing that with a new member. Keep posting on here and add pictures, these guys on here have a world or galaxy of knowledge to be able to help you. They did me on my first build. GOOD LUCK!!!

You can definitely build to your height. There are just certain things to keep in mind. For instance when you trim the thighs do it from the top, and when you trim three calves trim from the bottom. As far as glue, unless you are on a time crunch I would use E6000. Its a strong hold, but very forgiving. If you mess up zap a gap/zip kicker, that's it, you are SOL. Yes E6000 has a long cure time, but the benefits outweigh the cure time in my opinion.

Verlcro and snaps can be bought at a craft store like Michael's or if your not in a time rush I usually get everything on Amazon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am working on a ata kit also.im using Velcro at the moment to keep it together but I am going to replace the Velcro with snaps a little at a time.iv had to get a few extra pieces from ata that iv messed up but he is always very helpful and sells me the pieces I need without a long wait.just some info in case you need extra parts.happy building my friend

Sent from my 5056N using Tapatalk

Thank you all so much! I started trimming some of the helmet, but I'll take you're advice and wait a bit to finish it. I'll start on the forearms to be safe. So with the forearms, I can trim a little from both sides? And I tell be okay if there isn't a lip on the ends? Also, do I need to use photobucket to post pictures?

How should I upload pictures?

Use an online photo hosting service like Photobucket, Flickr, or whatever service you prefer.  Once you've uploaded your pics there, you copy the image link and can paste it into the body of the text here.  Clicking on the little "photo" icon in the bar above where you create your post will open a dialog box where you post the link for the pic.  

I've modified my RS kit to fit my 5'4" frame, and if I can do it, you can too (my shorty build in my sig).  Use e6000.  Always.  You will be happy about this later, even when you don't want to wait for it to dry.  Good luck on your build and have fun!

E6000 it is then!<br><br>

I went out today and bought what supplies were available.<br><br>

Also I'm posting from my phone and I don't think it has all the functions the full website does. <br><br>

I'm going to get in touch with my local garrison and see where their next armor party is.

Sorry for the lack of posts, my wifi has went out and I haven't had any way to post. I am SERIOSULY considering switching to a TD. I love the weathering and gear associated with them. What do you all think? I know I'd have to get ahold of a diamond knee plate for the base armor.

Sorry for the lack of posts, my wifi has went out and I haven't had any way to post. I am SERIOSULY considering switching to a TD. I love the weathering and gear associated with them. What do you all think? I know I'd have to get ahold of a diamond knee plate for the base armor.

I've trimmed both forearms and one bicep. I glued the left forearm together and it's currently drying :)

I have several questions on how to rig the torso and thighs however. How should I keep the thighs held up? I've seen some people use suspenders, but I wasn't positive if that was attached to the cod/ab piece. Also about the cod, does anyone ever cut it from the abs to be more flexible? Or is that inaccurate and non approvable? And what parts are supposed to have return edges? I know the forearms don't have to have one and the biceps don't have much of one. But so far what I've read is people trim them for comfort. I think a big question I have is, is there a fine line between comfort and accuracy/501st approval. Or does getting approved mainly mean getting the pieces fitted and looking properly?

Phew, that was a lot of questions...

I'll start posting my progress pics very soon! So stay tuned!!!

You should absolutely read through all of Ukswrath's build here (lots of amazing build pics and tips) and Diana's build here (a great build for short troopers).  You'll find them important as referral sources as you build.

Thighs are held up with a garter belt system or suspenders.  Lots of choice on how you want to go on those.  Remember that what's important is how your kit looks on the outside.  What you use for inside strapping/rigging is entirely up to you.

Trim all of the returns off of the wrist end of your forearms.  The areas near your elbow have detail that you don't want to cut off.  I think I ended up removing an entire divot off of the end of one of my forearms to prevent armor biting at the wrist.  You'll also need to remove all the returns off the bottoms of the shins (don't take anything off the top of those).  

I've cut my cod to accommodate my shortiness.   :)  You'll find that you may need to take a little off the top of the ab as well as reduce the size of the cod based on your body type.  

Looking forward to seeing your build!

Edited by Cricket

Most troopers can get both comfort and accuracy. Christine's got you covered! I'd add/recommend that you look into suspenders or a belt to hold up your thighs, instead of hanging them off your torso armor or cod piece. Hanging the thighs off your torso armor adds a great deal of load to the internal strapping and shoulder straps, increasing the chances of ABS/strapping breakage or failure.

PS make sure you've in a well ventilated space with E6000! :blink: :blink: :blink:

I'm in the process of putting together another ATA kit rt now. I'm just an inch taller @ 5'7". I have a built ATA kit rt now and I did not trim/shorten any parts. I cut right where the trim lines are formed on the armor. The only modifications I might have made to help it fit better is heating and reshaping some areas to conform to my body more. IMO, the fewer armor gaps the better looking.

ATAABS2012B.jpg

I'm in the process of putting together another ATA kit rt now. I'm just an inch taller @ 5'7". I have a built ATA kit rt now and I did not trim/shorten any parts. I cut right where the trim lines are formed on the armor. The only modifications I might have made to help it fit better is heating and reshaping some areas to conform to my body more. IMO, the fewer armor gaps the better looking.

ATAABS2012B.jpg

Lookin good! So far what I've discovered is that these parts fit me better than I had originally thought. The arms seem to be the perfect length. I'm actually uploading pics to photobucket so I can post them here in a few minutes.

And I agree, fewer gaps looks better :)

• 2 weeks later...

I found mine at Home Depot of all places.

I bought a slew of 20mm x 5mm round n50 magnets over on ebay.  You can usually find them priced out at about a dollar or less shipped (depending on how many you buy- and you can never have too many on hand!).