Dremel vs. Air tools

With all my "noob" research...and as I move to start on my "FISD" workbench and tools for the "BBB" day...I do have a question.<br><br>

Looking at the "kit assemble" (which is, due to my height & slim build...clearly the best way to go based on all the great research available) I was curious from the group if anyone felt there was any advantage to having an air compressor / saw / die grinder set up over the dremel? Mainly for the air saw ease of use vs. the "tin snip / exacto blade score and snap"? <br><br>

Am I overthinking here...or would this be a time-saver and give me a smaller chance of a mistake during the build? Thinking the fast & smooth cut of an air saw will help me fit / shave to fit easier and faster?<br><br>

May be splitting hairs here.. but with this great group...I thought asking would be the better part of valor. <br><br>

Many Thanks,<br><br>

Jon

Hi Jon,  I think you'll be just fine using a dremel. Just take your time and practice with it first. During my builds, I've used a combination of lexan hobby scissors, score and snap ( I'd recommend a utility knife instead of an exacto ), and the dremel. It just depends on the piece and also just to experiment to see what works best. Good luck!

I am in the final decision-making phase. I have it narrowed down to "AM2" as my 1st choice with RT-Mod a close 2nd. <br><br>

Have to (by the code of my fandom) do an ANH build 1st...then I plan on a TFA build...and then may do Vader due to my height. Once I am assigned my TK # am am trooping (and meet) the Alabama Garrison...I'll see what is needed or would help and take it from there.

• 2 months later...

Hey, my first FISD post!

What is commonly referred to as a Dremel is a rotary tool, and has been copied by many manufacturers over the years.  The Dremel rotary tool is so standard that even the name "Dremel" has taken on the context of being the type of tool it is.  It's not.  "Dremel" is the company name and a brand name, not the type of tool it is, but over the years the name has become the tool equivalent of people using the brand name "Kleenex" as a generic term for tissues.   (Something that Dremel's owners -- the Bosch tool company -- bemoan probably every day.)

Meanwhile, a pneumatic rotary tool has the same capabilities as pretty much any Dremel rotary tool; it works the same way and does the same thing.  The only difference between a Dremel rotary tool and a pneumatic one is that the first uses electricity and the latter compressed air.  The only advantage of pneumatic rotary tools is that they are typically a lot more powerful, which won't give you any advantage at all when working with ABS.  That power may come in handy if you're doing serious auto body work, but not for TK armor.

An air compressor is a handy thing to have for a lot of reasons as it can power a wonderful variety of tools -- nailers, sanders, torque wrenches, buffers, and on and on -- so keep that in mind for the future.  In the meantime, you will love a Dremel rotary tool for working with ABS, plus you'll find that it comes in handy for a bazillion others things in your shop (if you have one) and around your entire house.  There are hundreds of different bits, attachments and applications it can handle.  

If you do decide to use one for working with ABS, you'll find numerous cutters and such that will work great.  One tip -- if using a Dremel rotary tool for cutting tasks with ABS, keep the speed on the low side or you may melt the plastic.

Get one.  You won't regret it.

Hope this helps.

A.J.

Edited by A.J. Hamler