First Order TK Undersuit different from Original TK?

JTR555

I've been reading the various posts here and on my local garrison's forums as well as The RPF about TK undersuits and was wondering specifically about undersuits for FOTK armor. I read that some people have gone with undersuits different from those used for an original TK and in fact the stormtrooperundersuit.com sells a different one for the FOTK. They say:

Our undersuit is manufactured using a high quality specifically woven cotton/lycra and a latex fabric for the correct look.

The blended cotton fabric reacts to all kinds of different conditions, from excessive heat to extreme cold. In warm weather, perspiration is removed from the skin surface keeping the wearer cool, conversely in cold conditions the natural thermal properties of the fabric allow heat to be retained. Should excess heat occur, the fabric disperses it in the usual manner.

The fabric's are light weight & durable keeping the wearer comfortable at all times, a two way zip for easier toilet trips & a low temp wash non iron care instructions.

However, I read some posts from people on FISD who have purchased this FOTK undersuit from them who said that the "latex fabric" (which is really an oxymoron and is more likely just cotton/lycra covered with black PVC) began peeling off after only wearing the undersuit a few times.

So, here are my questions...

For 501st approval, is a different TK undersuit required for a FOTK than for an original TK?

For a FOTK, does it matter if the undersuit is a matte black cotton / lycra or a shiny black nylon / lycra? I'm just wondering since the FOTK has the elbow and knee rubber gaskets. Does one look better than the other?

I take it that while it may look good with the FOTK on account of the gaskets, a latex rubber undersuit is not recommended since those tend to enhance whatever the surrounding temperature is so unless you are inside in a climate controlled 72 degrees, you are either going to be boiling or freezing. Has anyone tried one of these and if so am I correct?

Two piece vs. one-piece with two-way zip? If one-piece, attached feet or ankle length (and if ankle, what do you do for socks)?

Thanks!

Edited by JTR555

I have the Extreme Racing undersuit. Its well made. Probably thicker than I anticipated and also sizing was an issue. Had to go larger than expected. Haven't had an issue with the 'seat' section yet but time will tell.

I also have a two-piece black compression suit which is lighter and more breathable.

Will be interesting to see what will prove canon when it comes to the CRL but given the only place you see the undergarment is around the cod and butt I can't imagine it will be a deal breaker.

• Like 1

I wear the same 2 piece undersuit that I wear for my OT TK. No problems with approval, but yeah the other suit is what was used in the movie. I'm considering making a pair of shiny shorts to get the same effect, without wearing the hotter suit on Florida weather.

• Like 1

I have the Extreme Racing undersuit. Its well made. Probably thicker than I anticipated and also sizing was an issue. Had to go larger than expected. Haven't had an issue with the 'seat' section yet but time will tell.

I also have a two-piece black compression suit which is lighter and more breathable.

Will be interesting to see what will prove canon when it comes to the CRL but given the only place you see the undergarment is around the cod and butt I can't imagine it will be a deal breaker.

What is the Extreme Racing suit? Do you have a link to where I can find it?

I wear the same 2 piece undersuit that I wear for my OT TK. No problems with approval, but yeah the other suit is what was used in the movie. I'm considering making a pair of shiny shorts to get the same effect, without wearing the hotter suit on Florida weather.

What is the other suit that you referred to that was used in the movie?

They still have it on here:

https://stormtrooperundersuit.com/first-order-stormtrooper.html

However, that is the one people have said the shiny part peels off with minimal wear.

Edited by Sly11
Link no longer active

I've got the Extreme Racing undersuit as well and so far have not had any problems with peeling  (this is the screen accurate one)- its quite thick and "snug" if you go for your size according to their charts.  It feels a little short in the body.  Also as stated its only the "shorts" area on show, everything else is covered by gaskets and armour.

An alternate would be to buy a standard undersuit or compression wear then head over to eBay and buy a pair of shiny shorts. If you search 'shiny, wet look' you'll find plenty of shorts or 3/4 lengths pants already made.

An alternate would be to buy a standard undersuit or compression wear then head over to eBay and buy a pair of shiny shorts. If you search 'shiny, wet look' you'll find plenty of shorts or 3/4 lengths pants already made.

I had never occurred to buy some shorts to wear under armor . I'll buy one for soccer that are shiny black. You gave me a great idea. I don´t have money to buy an undersuit. Thanks

I talked the the guys from Stormtrooperundersuit.com before TFA came out and they told me that they were the manufacturer for the under-suits for TFA, and at the time they had 3 for 4 sets left that pinewood studios didn't need. They are as screen accurate as you can get for the FOTK. With that said, true screen accurate does not necessarily mean quality, but in this case it's pretty decent. 

I did end up buying one of the ones that Pinewood didn't want, and it is thick, the shiny "shorts" are stretchy they have a double chunky zipper and a Velcro closure for the neck section. I believe I got a large, I'm 5'10 about 180 and it fits be like a champ. The only thing I'm not sure will hold up is the shiny shorts, which also happens to be the only thing you can see when you are wearing the whole costume. I'm concerned with them wearing down, for chipping.

• 6 months later...

Honestly, I would avoid stormtrooperundersuit.com altogether, if I were you. I am currently going through a nightmare of an experience with a guy named Richard who works there. I have owned several of their original trooper undersuits and I've been fairly pleased with those - even though the sizing is off (much smaller than the sizing chart says) and the zipper does not go down far enough (meaning you gotta hike your business pretty high to use the bathroom (if you know what I mean). But anyway - I'm in the process of finishing my FOTK and last month I decided to order their FO undersuit. I'm 5'7", 160lbs, with a 38-40" chest - basically a pretty small, fit guy. But I ordered the size XL so I could have some extra room in there. When it showed up and I tried to put it on, the thing would hardly zip up it was so small. Now I know these things are supposed to be tight because they're lycra - but this one was unbelievably tight (like choke me out, painfully tight). So I assumed it was mislabeled. I contact the company and told them about the problem and Richard responded. His initial response was to tell me I was wrong - that it's supposed to be tight and that it will stretch out over time. So I took measurements to see if it was larger than my other suits (which are size Large - also from Extreme Racing / stormtrooperundersuit.com). And even though it was an XL, it was much smaller by several inches in multiple places. So I emailed him again and told him about the measurements and he basically responded to me and said to return it on my own dime and order a new suit one size up. I told him that it was clearly mislabeled and I don't need a size up (which would be their biggest size of XXL) - I needed the right XL size that matched their website's sizing chart, saying that it would fit a 6'2" guy with a 44" inch chest. I also said that I shouldn't have to pay for the return, since it's clearly a mistake on their (or the manufacturer's) part. He said if I shipped it back and bought a new one, he would refund my purchase price/shipping plus shipping to send it back. I have the email string to prove all of this. So I ordered a new suit, size XL, and sent the old back on my own dime ($20 to England). To make this long story short, he never refunded me the shipping costs - not from my original purchase and not the cost to send it back. He claimed that he tried the suit on and it fit him just fine. Again - I'm a reasonable person here and I worked for years in costumes in TV/film, so I'm not ignorant when it comes to this stuff. And the suit simply did not fit me, nor did it match the sizing description AT ALL. So I had to file a claim with PayPal to get my original shipping money back. And I'm out $20 for sending it back to him. And to make matters way worse - I got the replacement XL suit and it also is way too small. So small, I can't even zip this one up - I got pictures to verify this. Richard and I went back and forth via email (which I'm going to post in the forums later) and he basically blamed it on me and said that he tried the suits on and they fit fine and it's not his fault that I ordered the wrong size, etc. He was completely unwilling to help and now I'm out over $100 and still don't have a proper undersuit. I honestly think these FO undersuits that he's selling were either leftover, incorrectly sized stock that he is now trying to offload on us - or they were redesigned at some point to cheapen costs and someone didn't due their due diligence in checking the sizing. 

Anyway, I highly recommend everyone avoid buying from this place unless you absolutely have to. I'm in the middle of two PayPal disputes with them right now and even if I win both of them, I will lose $40 from having to ship the incorrect suits back to England. Richard has been unhelpful and condescending all along the way - and there's just no excuse for that. I'm a repeat customer of his for many years. I'm going to look into other options now, maybe possibly having a friend of mine make the suit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I would avoid stormtrooperundersuit.com altogether, if I were you. I am currently going through a nightmare of an experience with a guy named Richard who works there. I have owned several of their original trooper undersuits and I've been fairly pleased with those - even though the sizing is off (much smaller than the sizing chart says) and the zipper does not go down far enough (meaning you gotta hike your business pretty high to use the bathroom (if you know what I mean). But anyway - I'm in the process of finishing my FOTK and last month I decided to order their FO undersuit. I'm 5'7", 160lbs, with a 38-40" chest - basically a pretty small, fit guy. But I ordered the size XL so I could have some extra room in there. When it showed up and I tried to put it on, the thing would hardly zip up it was so small. Now I know these things are supposed to be tight because they're lycra - but this one was unbelievably tight (like choke me out, painfully tight). So I assumed it was mislabeled. I contact the company and told them about the problem and Richard responded. His initial response was to tell me I was wrong - that it's supposed to be tight and that it will stretch out over time. So I took measurements to see if it was larger than my other suits (which are size Large - also from Extreme Racing / stormtrooperundersuit.com). And even though it was an XL, it was much smaller by several inches in multiple places. So I emailed him again and told him about the measurements and he basically responded to me and said to return it on my own dime and order a new suit one size up. I told him that it was clearly mislabeled and I don't need a size up (which would be their biggest size of XXL) - I needed the right XL size that matched their website's sizing chart, saying that it would fit a 6'2" guy with a 44" inch chest. I also said that I shouldn't have to pay for the return, since it's clearly a mistake on their (or the manufacturer's) part. He said if I shipped it back and bought a new one, he would refund my purchase price/shipping plus shipping to send it back. I have the email string to prove all of this. So I ordered a new suit, size XL, and sent the old back on my own dime ($20 to England). To make this long story short, he never refunded me the shipping costs - not from my original purchase and not the cost to send it back. He claimed that he tried the suit on and it fit him just fine. Again - I'm a reasonable person here and I worked for years in costumes in TV/film, so I'm not ignorant when it comes to this stuff. And the suit simply did not fit me, nor did it match the sizing description AT ALL. So I had to file a claim with PayPal to get my original shipping money back. And I'm out $20 for sending it back to him. And to make matters way worse - I got the replacement XL suit and it also is way too small. So small, I can't even zip this one up - I got pictures to verify this. Richard and I went back and forth via email (which I'm going to post in the forums later) and he basically blamed it on me and said that he tried the suits on and they fit fine and it's not his fault that I ordered the wrong size, etc. He was completely unwilling to help and now I'm out over $100 and still don't have a proper undersuit. I honestly think these FO undersuits that he's selling were either leftover, incorrectly sized stock that he is now trying to offload on us - or they were redesigned at some point to cheapen costs and someone didn't due their due diligence in checking the sizing. 

Anyway, I highly recommend everyone avoid buying from this place unless you absolutely have to. I'm in the middle of two PayPal disputes with them right now and even if I win both of them, I will lose $40 from having to ship the incorrect suits back to England. Richard has been unhelpful and condescending all along the way - and there's just no excuse for that. I'm a repeat customer of his for many years. I'm going to look into other options now, maybe possibly having a friend of mine make the suit. 

I have an update on this. After going back and forth and having them tell me over and over that the XL is accurately sized - Stormtrooperundersuit.com finally offered to send me an XXL for free. I received that suit and it fits me perfectly. I'm glad I finally got the right suit, but XXL is their largest size and it's concerning that a 5'7" 160lbs guy needs the largest thing they have. But anyway, they did help me out eventually and I appreciate the customer service. BUT if you plan to purchase a FO suit from them, my advice is to buy the biggest one they have. It's spandex/lycra, so ultimately it will fit no matter what.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...