Painting armor to a showroom car like finish

• 3 years later...
6 hours ago, DarthOnarged said:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I found this in my search before posting and I’m curious to how your paint job has held up over years.  I’m also planning on doing a full armor paint job using acrylic paint which is more elastic than enamels.  

Actually I find with automotive paint that enamels are a little more elastic than acrylic, but enamel is soft and acrylic dries hard.

Acrylic paint does dry quickly and will crack under strain, I have found this on my shoulder areas of my FOTK chest/back plate.

What I have liked with the acrylic is that you can buff and compound scratches and marks and the gloss will come up shiny again, with all paints there are going to be some areas that will rub through.

Standard original trilogy armor does not need paint but R1 and FOTK armor does, check out some of those builds to see how people have gone about painting and what they have used ;) 

On 7/17/2020 at 11:06 AM, DarthOnarged said:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I found this in my search before posting and I’m curious to how your paint job has held up over years.  I’m also planning on doing a full armor paint job using acrylic paint which is more elastic than enamels.  

Heya. Well, four years later it is holding up pretty well. The main issue is where two pieces meet and there is solid connection between two edges. Over time small chips of wear are observed at these spots, which I then hit up with a clear enamel. It makes for a little bit of natural and three dimensional armor wear, which I kind of like.