TK-Tom's Not So Excellent Adventure - ANH Stunt TK Build

TK-Tom

Lots of tape, magnets and clamps. I ran into the the same thing the other day. <br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/37563-ppps-ap-anh-stunt-bbb-wtf-lol/?p=506845'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/37563-ppps-ap-anh-stunt-bbb-wtf-lol/?p=506845</a>

I have the 2" elastic connecting them together, on both arms. 

Excellent, then you may have to add 1" elastic or nylon from the bicep to the bell to hold them up higher in you armpit.

Excellent, then you may have to add 1" elastic or nylon from the bicep to the bell to hold them up higher in you armpit.

Working on thighs now, right thigh is ready to assemble. Left thigh has alot of room that I can cut out from the back. Following your build notes, you say to measure the top and bottom of both left and right then make cut lines and trim. But there were no measurements. I am not sure how much to take off, do I take off from both rear sides, do i angle the trim (wide at the top, narrow at the bottom)? Here are some pics...(I am really stuck and cannot move on now. Seems like the kit is getting harder instead of easier, the closer I get to the finish line.) Any help would be awesome! TIA~

0VTGNRS.jpg

NjmfWyu.jpg

CW949DZ.jpg

Actually it looks fine where it is. 

I need to trim down the Left Thigh. Way too much room inside. On your Anovos Build page, you measured the top and bottom of both thighs, you decided the left needed to get trimmed. Your Right Top measure was 25.5" and Right Bottom was 18.75" - your Top Left thigh measurement was 26.25" and your Left Bottom measurement was 20". You then drew green lines on the left thigh armor in the back, where to trim, but you did not show measurements on how much to take off.

That is what I am after. I can then calculate mine, based on my measurements. It looks like the Left Inner Thigh half, you did a straight down trim, but the Left Outer Thigh half, you do an angled cut (wide at top to narrow at bottom) I need to do the same, but I am not sure how much to take off on each side.

Do you have that info, or your thinking on how you calculated it? Thx~

This is your pic that I am referring to...

Left%20thigh%20rear%20trim%20c.jpg

Edited by TK-Tom

Did you use the overlap method and divide the amount of overlap between the two halves to trim? If so, the pic you posted above does not look that way.

Sorry for the confusion. In my build tutorial I mention a 1/2" rule. In other words, if possible give yourself a minimum of 1/2" gap between your body and the armor. This is a guideline only. There is no specific amount to take off or to leave on. The armor has a natural taper to it and so it is a general rule to follow the taper of the armor when trimming excess material. After the front has been assembled and you've measured your legs, and following the 1/2" rule you should have a good idea on how much YOU will remove. If I didn't state this information in my build is because everyone is different and I don't want anyone to follow behind me using my specific specs, especially if it doesn't apply to them. In my build I illustrate that once you have an idea how much you want to remove, do so equally between halves, especially at the bottom.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Did you use the overlap method and divide the amount of overlap between the two halves to trim? If so, the pic you posted above does not look that way.

Yes + adding the 1/2" for space

Once again, another 'low' has become a 'high'. This roller coaster ride is almost over~ Just have Shins to do after thighs, then a first full fitting and helmet electronics.

Last night - the night from hell~ Right Thigh butt joint glue to cover strip fine...Left Thigh, what a $@"&)(><}%%£ pain in the &$*#%^* a$$ that was! Here's to hoping I don't have to re-glue tonight! It was a nightmare trying to get the 2nd half of the thigh to fully sit on the cover strip. Good thing I did one half cover strip at a time, made it somewhat better. I don't know how you all did this but kudos, hats off to you!

51Ak2c0.jpg

Last night - the night from hell~ Right Thigh butt joint glue to cover strip fine...Left Thigh, what a $@"&)(><}%%£ pain in the &$*#%^* a$$ that was! Here's to hoping I don't have to re-glue tonight! It was a nightmare trying to get the 2nd half of the thigh to fully sit on the cover strip. Good thing I did one half cover strip at a time, made it somewhat better. I don't know how you all did this but kudos, hats off to you!

Well for starters in my build I assembled the front first since that's what most people will see. The back, though the halves are somewhat of an angle, are still manageable. It helps to have plenty of practice also  ;)

I started with the fronts as well. I glued the cover strip to 1/2 of each thigh first night, then second night (last night) I glued the other thigh half to each cover strip. The right thigh seemed easy, but the left...holy hell~ And I have not tried the backs yet. I may have to do 1/2 cover strip on one side again for the Left thigh back. I should be able to complete the right thigh back cover strip at one time.

Have to say, I am pleasantly surprised. My front cover strips came out acceptable! While not 100% exactly centered where they should be, the 90-95% accuracy is something I am pleased with. There were a couple spots where I am adding more glue tonight, but happy trooper here~ I think I will put in some internal reinforcements but probably not an entire length cover strip.

UUK9lq8.jpg

xlr3oI0.jpg

2MgONNf.jpg

APYpxYd.jpg

JirDKQo.jpg

NKh7Apm.jpg

A little something I have to keep reminding myself about the Anovos TK Kit I am building:

I can understand everyone wanting to build this kit to perfection, and to keep it shiny brand new. But ths kit was modeled after the original TKs in ANH. So when you thing about thos TKs and how they looked, they were not symmetrical, which means this kit will be a PAIN to "get perfect", if that is even possible. Also, those ANH TKs lived in a "used" universe, meaning thay had imperfections, and were NOT shiny brand new. So to me, I am not worried if I have scratches (light scratches) in the armor, if things are not lined up 100% spot on, and if it gets a little dirty, so be it. It just adds that additional layer of authenticity for me. And that's what we are really after here with the 501st, as close to screen accurate as possible.

Ok, as I lay sleepily in my bed last night, thoughts of revisiting my forearms came to mind. I think I need to trim the forearms down for fit at the wrist area. So I am thinking I would need to remove the rear cover strips, (I use E6000), and then cut a diagonal line from top to bottom, upper forearm having zero removed (because they fit fine up top), and angle down and out for the wrist area, about .5" off from both sides. Like a triangle cut, with the top of the forearm being the top point of the triangle. Is this how it should be done.

Also, my bigger issue is the left forearm being bent. I cannot bend properly because part of the forearm hits the biceps, prevents the full bend, and then the forearm return edge digs into my arm. I have no real good idea on how to attack this. Tony, if you are out there, I could use your professional opinion :-)

Here is a link to a short video showing the problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76q4hty8dnm8lcl/File%20Jul%2015%2C%205%2002%2043%20PM.mov?dl=0