ESB Stormtrooper Stunt Helmet Build

Hi!

I'd like some advice on a project I've decided to have a go at and thought this would be the best place to go!

For years I've wanted to have a go at building a Stormtrooper helmet but haven't really done anything like it before, so thought I'd start off by looking for something suitable and cheap enough that if I made a mess of it I wouldn't be to annoyed with myself.

I had a look at some of the builds here, saw some awesome battered and chipped ESB stunt replicas and knew that this was exactly the way I wanted to go with mine. I managed to pick up what was described as an 'ANH Stunt Helmet' off eBay for $139 that had been stained yellow on one side by the sunlight and quite sloppily assembled so thought that would be a perfect fit for what i needed.

It seems fairly accurate to me? but I'm really not sure I know what I'm on about, the only thing that I knew I didn't like straight away were the mic tips and the neck seal so ordered some more accurate replacements. Since these pics, I've trimmed it up a bit, raised the brow and primed it ready for the kaki base coat and will add some more pictures shortly.

I'd really like some advise and tips on what I've done so far and what I need to do to get it to look the way I'd like it to, also I'd really like to know where it originated or who sculpted it, I've tried to compare it with other armour builders helmets but I just can't tell? Here's some pictures of it when it arrived.

Hope someone can help!

post-29219-0-38273200-1467936954_thumb.jpg

post-29219-0-85114500-1467936977_thumb.jpg

post-29219-0-62200700-1467937077_thumb.jpg

Edited by adamg1452

Fun project! I can't tell you what type of helmet that is, but I am sure someone on here will be able to tell you that soon. <br><br>

Good luck!

Edited by T K

Looks good!. The only thing you really need to do is paint the teeth satin black, a satin black line around the ear bumps (the grey part), paint the ear rank stripes and the if you really want to (which you should for accuracy) is relace the decals on the sides of the forehead, back of the helmet and cheek tears with the correct ESB decals. I got mine from trooper bay.

Hi, thanks for your comments so far, really appreciate it! I've done a bit of work on the helmet today so thought I'd upload some more pics to show how I'm getting on.

I had a few issues with the way the helmet was originally assembled so I took it apart and did my best to fix what I could with a bit of trimming and re drilling of the screw holes on the right ear piece, all of the decals have been removed and it's now been primed up with grey primer ready for the khaki layer of paint to match the HDPE material the originals were made of.

post-29219-0-15798500-1467937835_thumb.jpg

post-29219-0-64078100-1467937843_thumb.jpg

Edited by adamg1452

Here's some pics of where I'm at with it at the moment...

I've sprayed the the faceplate and back parts of the helmet, inside and out to match the HTPE the originals were made of. I used a Rover car paint called 'Champagne Beige' for any UK troopers wanting to do a similar project, this was bought from Halfords for £6.99 and I hope you agree it's a pretty good match. Before I did this, I also tried to enlarge the eyes slightly and make the teeth look a bit more square but struggled a bit as the original builder had cut a bit too much of the frown away first time round.

Let me know what you think and if you have any more ideas, Thanks!

post-29219-0-07266500-1467937426_thumb.jpg

post-29219-0-17986800-1467937446_thumb.jpg

Edited by adamg1452

Maybe it's a little late to point out (and it's a little bit buried in the galleries) but we've already matched the helmets to the correct paint hue: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/image/2543-paintmatch/

• Like 1

Thanks Mathias, I'd not seen this, that colour looks quite a bit darker than some of the images I was looking at. I was basing my colour match on some of the fan built helmets which looked a bit lighter, hopefully it will still look ok once it's finished.

Don't worry about it. But please take a stroll through the galleries. We have lots of useful reference material. There's no need to repeat the mistakes of others.

Here's where I am with it now.

I picked the liquid mask away to uncover the khaki colour below, I did this using a plastic guitar plectrum as I didn't want to damage the khaki paint, it took a while to find the areas I'd masked but I made sure I took loads of pictures to help me find them.

I reattached the brow which looks a lot better in it's raised position and put the green lens material back, I'm not sure whether to keep this lens material or go for something darker?

I also added the new Hovi mic tips and 'S' neck trim to get an idea of what it's going to look like once it's done.

Hopefully I'll get chance to paint the frown, vocoder and ears over the next few days but unfortunately won't able to order the ESB decals until August which is a right nightmare!

post-29219-0-13409000-1468349604_thumb.jpg

post-29219-0-29033100-1468349605_thumb.jpg

post-29219-0-31428400-1468349606_thumb.jpg

post-29219-0-31130500-1468349607_thumb.jpg

post-29219-0-22393300-1468349608_thumb.jpg

Edited by adamg1452