Hyperfirm E-11 light / sound mod?

vettereddie

I picked up a Disney E-11 and did a quick paint job to have something to start trooping.

I noticed how inaccurate it is at the 501st booth at Awesome-con, smaller scale, flattened magazine and counter, etc. However, I do like the blaster sound effects and light-up barrel end, makes it a lot more fun to shoot back during Blast A Trooper events.

Has anyone added light / sound into a Hyperfirm? I'm contemplating getting one and transferring the trigger switch, board and LED. Hardest part I would think would be battery accessability.

I'm thinking of drilling out the barrel, and cutting / splitting from the underside w/ an exacto to embed the boards, speaker, etc. I'm guessing rubber cement or black rtv would bond it back after work completion, has anyone tried this?

Coming up empty on the E-11 and helmet /blaster electronics board searches.

I've never heard of anyone doing so. Not sure how well it would work, but if you're game I'd love to see the results. But it seems like it would simply weaken the structural toughness of a Hyperfirm - which is the reason most people who buy them do so.

Personally, I think you'd have a better time of it by modding a resin E-11 - more specifically, picking up a resin kit (such as DoopyDoos) and building the electronics into it.

Looking to stay away from the Doopy because of durability. Would love to know if the hyperfirm has a skeleton, i.e. PVC pipe backbone and under handle. Will shoot them a message on Facebook, or are they on RPF?

If there's a support structure, I wouldn't worry as much about toughness. Will keep posted, likely ordering end of this month, B-grade to attempt in case I butcher it.

Not worried about heat, circuit's only active during trigger pull and on two AAs not exactly high current. LED would be exposed to air with the hollowed end barrel.

I bought a little plastic jewel at Micheals but would love to have something more. It fits down in the barrel hole and looks better in person than this picture. I'll be watching this thread.

71140f387b2e50f39df68e197498f330.jpg

Edited by SheaJeff

On the advice of HFX Productions, I decided against this mod. The blaster is solid, so no support structure inside and the barrel may not respond well to drilling, tearing instead.

Ordered a standard for a ready made blaster out of the box.

I've shifted to contemplating moving the sound guts from the Disney to inside my forearm armor, putting the pressure switch on a finger tip mount inside the glove. No lights, but will give sound when touching the trigger.

• Like 1

The THG Props guy makes hard rubber blasters similar to the Hyperfirms.  His new F11-D kits are built around a hollow pipe, specifically so adding electronics is a possibility.

I've been trying to convince him to do a run of E11s with that setup, too. ;)

A Hyperfirm blaster is cast as a solid single piece. Can't really be hollowed out. The outer it s a hard rubber skin and the core is some kind of foam. I believe there's a rod inside running the length of the blaster to give it rigidity.

Edited by pandatrooper

A Hyperfirm blaster is cast as a solid single piece. Can't really be hollowed out. The outer it s a hard rubber skin and the core is some kind of foam. I believe there's a rod inside running the length of the blaster to give it rigidity.

If only they'd do a run with a hollow pipe running down the middle instead of a rod (or all rubber), they could be modded more easily...