Face shield material

Finishing up a AP helmet and was looking at face shield material for the lenses. Just wondering do I get the IRUV 3.0 material or just the light green or dark green. Not too sure of the diffrences. Also are there any chain stores out there that sell this stuff or do I need to go online. Thanks for you time.

If you are after screen worn, its green light acidtite.. (think thats houw its spelled... LOL)

Any way, not great for trooping, flash goes through em.. Looks great for display though. Welders grade 3 splits the diffrence and a shield can run about 15-20 bucks Depending where you go and shade. You can get about 3 lens sets out if you cut good enough. I cheat and use my engraver.

There are a few of us making lenses, from thick to thin, depends on what you want. DIY is pretty easy as well. There is a trooper here selling super nice set of 1/8 inch offered here on the boards, as well as my welders shield ones.

Granger.com sells shields in the welders section. Lots of options.

"Acetate". :) It's the stuff used for stage/set lighting gels. And actually, Nathan, I've been meaning to ask you about that. What do you think of a shade or so lighter, with the green acetate bonded securely (and distortion-free) to the outside to give it the right colour?

--Jonah

Jackson 34-42 .040 shield. It's gas welders shield in a medium green. It's never shown through with flash even at close range. It's thin enough to cut with a good pair of scissors, but sturdy enough not to crack or crease. It's what I put into my MR-CE, and my wife's TIE bucket. Any welding supply house should have it, should only run about $15 for a full shield that will yield a few pairs of lenses. It has a crimped aluminum edge guard/stiffener all around the shield that you just pull off.

Mark

"Acetate". :) It's the stuff used for stage/set lighting gels. And actually, Nathan, I've been meaning to ask you about that. What do you think of a shade or so lighter, with the green acetate bonded securely (and distortion-free) to the outside to give it the right colour?

--Jonah

I think so. I am going to try it with the MRCE stockers. Adding the welders behind it. This is actually a great thread! Great Ideas!