Super-size DT-57 build

Hey folks, got one of these: Galactic Wars Space Gun Blaster with Flashing Lights and Sounds (One Size, Grey/Blue/Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019OKSK7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_8mEZwbAJJS4CG
(Not from Amazon, but direct from Toyrific (still £9.99 delivered).

The front vented part looks somewhat similar to the DT-57 heavy blaster, so I thought i'd use up some of the 40mm black pipe I bought for my E-11 to build a made-up heavy blaster. I'll kinda make it up as I go along but have taken the blaster to bits to check the innards, weight it with Plasticine, etc, then drill some vent holes in the 40mm pipe.

I'll post up some pics of the butchered blaster in a bit.

Edited by humperdingle

Plastic muzzle cap was removed with a bit of gentle persuasion.

The plastic is VERY brittle, and really didn't appreciate me trying to cut it, so I drilled a series of holes where I needed to remove the plug, which will allow the 40mm pipe to be inserted.

5E56A8CD-B42B-43CA-9E36-26699514FF26_zps

Once done on both sides, the bits just snapped easily out.

024D8311-9DA2-4283-BEC7-488EA1144CE8_zps

Then sanded the inside edges smooth(ish) with Dremel and sanding drum.

63A5BE79-AEBD-4ACE-94F5-CE7ED0A7C005_zps

This pic shows how the pipe will fit within the 'cradle'. Snug fit indeed.

9E52F53D-618E-4712-88DC-694446CCEF69_zps

This is the little internal 'barrel', gizmo. Oddly, it spins round when the trigger is pulled. Has a few very weak LEDs along the side and on tip.

998B9A44-13D7-4D3C-A194-F974ECC6B0E6_zps

14ED46B1-C6A5-436C-BED7-49528A6AC030_zpsAlrighty, thought i'd drill the barrel sleeve vent holes today. Used the 40mm pipe template (laminated, so I can re-use).

Then used an awl to puncture pilot holes.

0DD5C269-0792-404C-93E6-E041EE011CBF_zps

Drilled all the holes. I left sections undrilled. One will be for some kind of rubber grip, one will be to add 'something', haven't got that far yet.

8DFC7FD7-46EE-4414-8A54-1996F71C0528_zps

Mocked-up inside the blaster.

61F9452E-D513-413C-B70A-236F158A2AB4_zps

Loving some of the time-saving bits of this blaster - Whilst drilling all those holes, I contemplated using an internal barrel. It just so happens, there is a 15mm cradle for a 15mm pipe to sit in  :)

555F229B-ACE3-4A27-A7AF-7E98519297E0_zps

Nice! Also, put some white filler in the cavities for weight.

60A0EAC0-2C90-4C2F-B726-C94D4B4039EB_zps

Cut a bit of 3.5mm (10oz?) veg tan leather as an experimental grip. Cut grooves, for grip and for detail.

DBEA595D-4CC8-48B7-A2EC-CFFEB6A1D1D9_zps

Hmm... Looks OK. Might dye it black, might leave it for contrast. If there is anyone out there (!) Opinions are appreciated!

ACC039D5-16C1-46FE-AEEE-9D3EAC362510_zps

• Like 1

Keep up the good work , and keep the photos coming.this is fascinating stuff , the creativity is an inspiration , there's only so many Doopydoos blaster threads one can read , this I different enough to grab the attention . Well done so far .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keep up the good work , and keep the photos coming.this is fascinating stuff , the creativity is an inspiration , there's only so many Doopydoos blaster threads one can read , this I different enough to grab the attention . Well done so far .

Gawd, thanks - Thought I was the Omega Man for a while :D

Yep, you're right, Doopydoos builds are pretty common. I WAS hoping to pick the Doopy E-11 kit up but they're constantly showing out of stock :( So started this instead. Must say, it's nice to not have to fabricate virtually everything, like my scratch E-11 pipe build.

Dye the leather or not? 

I'd say leave the leather until the gun is finished, then make the decision .

Yeh cool - I can darken it a bit, but keep it dark brown. Maybe add a leather sling, too.

We are out here, silently reading and enjoying ...

Lol thanks :D

Cut a couple of sections of my trusty beech rolling pin (slides very snugly inside the 40mm pipe) and drilled a 'guide hole' through one (for middle section) and another, drilled halfway through (a socket for the muzzle end).

2318C823-A173-4EC1-9F05-055687C66C31_zps

Not sure if you can see it, but gloss black inner barrel is in-situ.

88BE6C05-2A24-424A-9F0D-E5341797AF34_zps

Butchered the blue muzzle part and took the very end pieces (where the muzzle piece went on to) off the silver vented portion of the donor gun. The two sides just weren't going to marry-up properly otherwise.

00BE13F8-6E83-4DD1-B4EC-4B1FC67CD283_zps

Used that as a coupler for two pipe clips (Jubilee clips) to clamp the muzzle to 40mm pipe. The T-Track is just on there loose as I'm still thinking what to do next.

25C93C76-7C69-40C3-8783-FF7E608EF202_zps

An initial lick of paint for the main body of the gun, just to see where gaps need filled, etc.

I think it looks a pretty decent donor blaster for £10!

06924CA6-6443-404B-BE43-03520DBC2BF4_zps

• Like 1

I feel it looks out of balance , it needs the toys stock removing from the very rear of the gun , and something larger and longer fitting to keep it balanced visually .

I feel it looks out of balance , it needs the toys stock removing from the very rear of the gun , and something larger and longer fitting to keep it balanced visually .

Yeh, I agree. It kinda resembles an MG-15 at the rear, with its pistol grip.

Still need to add the conical muzzle and maybe something middle-ish.

OK, kinda finished, except a few coats of paint. Added a conical piece at the muzzle. Measures 4ft exactly. Regarding being unbalanced... I'm not sure lol. It 'feels' better than it probably looks. Oh well, it'll be ideal to stand next to the trooper mannequin.

Edit: Might change the mash-up bipod for a cheap ebay one  :duim:

D1F8E138-F1FE-4491-B9CA-0D8CABF0EBDE_zps

Edited by humperdingle